PDA

View Full Version : m3 diff == owned

stichris
04-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Found the cause of the strange vibration in my m3. Part of the rear diff's ring & pinion was liberated.

http://m3.digital7.com/m3diff.jpg

Twin_Cam
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Ooooooooohhhhhhh that's fun.

Matthew
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
User error. :roll:

Aaron
04-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Nah, BMW just threw in a few extra parts. It'll be fiiiine.

MuddyREX
04-27-2005, 10:45 PM
How big is that actual chunk? Is it a tooth from the diff?

teh DIRT
04-28-2005, 11:14 AM
i held it in my hand last nite. id say its about an inch long....maybe 1/2inch wide

the mike
04-28-2005, 12:01 PM
It's a full tooth off the ring gear.
Sucks, man. More miles on the STi. :rolleyes:

black05rsx-s
04-28-2005, 07:08 PM
isnt that a problem with m3s my buddy had his replaced twice before he totaled his

Silverfc88
04-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Damn! What made you think to check the diff?

stichris
04-29-2005, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't say the e36 diff is inherently weak...

I started gettng a vibration under load, so it was one of the first few things I checked.

Urinemachine
04-29-2005, 01:30 PM

I started gettng a vibration under load, so it was one of the first few things I checked.

He's thinking of the infamous diff bolt.. which is inherently weak

themadhatter
05-01-2005, 01:40 PM

depends...what year is the M3 again? the '95 M3s are known to have internal bolts back out (not the diff bolt) and cause havoc internally.

if you're looking for a new or rebuilt unit that will be solid, give Dan a holler at diffsonline.com

-Ron

Matthew
05-01-2005, 11:14 PM
if you're looking for a new or rebuilt unit that will be solid, give Dan a holler at diffsonline.com

-Ron

Dan = :prayer:

Chris is going to use my stock 3.46 with 24k miles on it... I went with a 3.46 with 40% lock... :mrgreen:

themadhatter
05-01-2005, 11:22 PM

-Ron

Chris is going to use my stock 3.46 with 24k miles on it... I went with a 3.46 with 40% lock... :mrgreen:

very nice!

I had a 3.38 that I recently sold and slapped in a 3.15. I'll soon be going for a 2.93 40% from Dan as well. it's going to be F'ing nutz. :mrgreen:

Matthew
05-01-2005, 11:25 PM

-Ron

very nice!

I had a 3.38 that I recently sold and slapped in a 3.15. I'll soon be going for a 2.93 40% from Dan as well. it's going to be F'ing nutz. :mrgreen:

Well I was thinking of getting a built 2.93 from Dan, but after talking to Josh it looks like I am going to have him build a 3.15 for me. I am not going to run WTF boost for a while. Of course now that AA is going to release the twinscrew... I am torn again. :rolleyes:

themadhatter
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
a good guess says that AA's twin screw is from Stimpee's research and hard work.

I'm gonna be running the 3.15 till I either blow it up or get bored of it, either way, it's nearly brand new with only 26k on it. :D

I will be running a max of 12-14 PSI, I figure the 2.93 gearing will come in handy for power delivery and will have the added side effect of better fuel economy...this will be helpful when running 40+ lbs injectors.

a taller rear gear will not be as much aid to you with a supercharger as it would be with a turbo. remember that an s/c is directly bolted up to a the motor...I don't know how the PD setup will work with a 2.93, I do know that centrifical setup will hate a 2.93 since it needs the revs to build boost.

-Ron

Matthew
05-01-2005, 11:50 PM
a good guess says that AA's twin screw is from Stimpee's research and hard work.

I'm gonna be running the 3.15 till I either blow it up or get bored of it, either way, it's nearly brand new with only 26k on it. :D

I will be running a max of 12-14 PSI, I figure the 2.93 gearing will come in handy for power delivery and will have the added side effect of better fuel economy...this will be helpful when running 40+ lbs injectors.

a taller rear gear will not be as much aid to you with a supercharger as it would be with a turbo. remember that an s/c is directly bolted up to a the motor...I don't know how the PD setup will work with a 2.93, I do know that centrifical setup will hate a 2.93 since it needs the revs to build boost.

-Ron

Well, pretty much yeah, but Simpee was not cut out of it (like how Jim and Josh screwed him...) http://www.aatuning.com/whatsnew/main.php

As for the 3.15, it should last for a loooooong time even at those power levels. If I decide to run the stage II twinscrew (2.3litre blower) I am going to retain the 3.46 gearing. I will only gear it higher if I decide to go turbo...

themadhatter
05-02-2005, 12:09 AM
3.46 will be great but you'll be slamming into your rev limiter quicker then with a higher gear. you may find it to be too aggressive when you go FI. a 3.38 or even the very common 3.23 may be your best choice. this will be something that only trial and error can show but I do believe that your currenty setup is going to limit how much fun you can have and possibly make 1st gear unusable.

similiar to how I ran a 3.91 with my car for a bit...1st gear was a joke and I redlined 5th at a 127mph. let's say I was redlining about twice a day when I had that setup. :mrgreen:

Urinemachine
05-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Hatter, im in b-town too, i've seen your car. Didn't realize it was turbo now. I need a ride! Supercharger is supposed to go on my car this saturday if everything goes as planned. How much would it cost to get my 3.23 25% rebuilt to 40%?

themadhatter
05-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Hatter, im in b-town too, i've seen your car. Didn't realize it was turbo now. I need a ride! Supercharger is supposed to go on my car this saturday if everything goes as planned. How much would it cost to get my 3.23 25% rebuilt to 40%?

not turboed just yet, I'll be in-country on Wednesday. The car goes to the body shop before I install the Technique Tuning kit. I have everything sitting in boxes ready to rock.

oh and jet hot rocks, I had them coat all the hot and some cold parts of my kit: www.rsiwerks.com/project332is/tt/jethot

where in bethlehem are you? I don't know if I've ever seen you around but if you see me, please do get my attention.

a rebuild from Diffsonline would need a quote from Dan, my best guess is probably not accurate but I'm gonna say that a 40% 2 clutch build is gonna run you around $900.

-Ron

Urinemachine
05-08-2005, 08:12 PM
i go to school at Desales, about 5 mins south of bethlehem. green E34, i met you at the brewery meet one time i think. my car goes in saturday, i hope all goes well and she drives home.

themadhatter
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
I've been away since January so I don't know if we've met.

who's doing the install and what kit? best of luck with it.

-Ron

Matthew
05-08-2005, 08:48 PM

-Ron

Get on AIM please.

Urinemachine
05-08-2005, 09:25 PM

-Ron

This was before january. Anywho, its an ASA based setup, custom fabbed, I and a friend/shop will be doing the install. Matt wants to talk to you about the TT kit.

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 05:31 AM

-Ron

This was before january. Anywho, its an ASA based setup, custom fabbed, I and a friend/shop will be doing the install. Matt wants to talk to you about the TT kit.

Spoke to Matt on AIM yesterday. He sounds enthusiastic and if I recall correctly, he conferred with Vitolo who is also getting a TT II setup. soon, Nick will rule the world. :mrgreen: I've heard good things on the ASA kits but they are uncommon in the USA...powerdyne or vortech?

BMW + FI = :thumbup:

stichris
05-09-2005, 05:47 AM
It's an ASA blower ;) Perhaps you're thinking of ESS?

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 06:51 AM

I think you're right - I must have ESS on the brain. now that I think of it, there are not too many ASA setups running around.

Urinemachine
05-09-2005, 11:35 AM

I think you're right - I must have ESS on the brain. now that I think of it, there are not too many ASA setups running around.

Yeah there are not too many ASA blowers in the country, but i heard that they are the most efficient, like 85% or something vs. the vortechs at like 71%... so im hoping its a good thing.

Matthew
05-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Turbo > Supercharger :finga:

stichris
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Factory Forced Induction > Aftermarket :finga:

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Factory Forced Induction > Aftermarket :finga:

factory forced induction is training wheels to get you ready for the big time. :finga:

stichris
05-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Big time is en route ;)

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Big time is en route ;)

let me know when you blow up that cylinder. :lol:

-Ron <- loves to talk smack. ;)

stichris
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
It's okay, I'll take it and spew it back with everyone ounce of strength I have left :finga:

Anyway, let's compare total $$ invested for you to reach bolt-on STi power. We should have plenty of time as you spin at the line :finga:

:lol:

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
It's okay, I'll take it and spew it back with everyone ounce of strength I have left :finga:

Anyway, let's compare total $$ invested for you to reach bolt-on STi power. We should have plenty of time as you spin at the line :finga:

:lol:

let me know what is bolt on STi power so I can give you an accurate figure. then compare fair market for my car vs yours and you'll see that I'm already far out ahead of you.

as for the spinning at the line, you obviously have no idea how to launch your e36. :finga: properly done, there is very little wheel spin...where your car has to deal with 3 diffs, 4 drive wheels and all the friction that goes along with it. :thumbup:

now if you really want to compare figures, let's not magazine race but actually throw down at a local strip and do it the proper way. we don't have to do it against each other, but at least on the same day at the same strip so we're both under the same conditions.

as far as 'magazine numbers', I'm sure I'll easily out power you while using less boost and getting there in a far more comfortable ride that is also more reliable.

did I mention that I'll also get you in the twisties? http://www.rsiwerks.com/evil.gif

....sorry, every bimmerhead has to say that when in a pissing match....but you knew that already :rolleyes:

stichris
05-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Don't forget I still have an e36 m3 in my driveway ;)

Widest rubber you're gonna fit in the back of your car has a 255 width. I'm talking about your car, post turbo kit. I'm telling you that you will experience traction issues ;)

I remember how much cash you dumped into your car, and I'd be willing to bet your total investment outdoes mine, after the turbo kit. Comparing current market value is silly, it's about total out of pocket.

Either way, I have mad love for the e36, hence why I own one. I'm totally down for some drag runs, STi vs 323, once I'm done.

Your car will make about ~400rwhp, right? You won't easily outpower me. You will use significantly less boost, but you do have an extra couple cylinders and the displacement that goes along with 'em. Do you really care about comfort? My STi has a better ride than my m3 with H&R Race/Bilstein sport. Once you're talking 500hp, who really cares about comfort? It's all subjective, anyway.

As of now, my m3 has broken more than the STi (which hasn't, knock on wood).

Enter more magazine racing, but I am extremely confident that I'll easily pull from you in the twisties. Pre-turbo, I have tons more power. Post-turbo, you'll be too busy coping with throttle oversteer.

Let's rendezvous soon ;)

Urinemachine
05-09-2005, 02:12 PM
having been in the STi, and giggling silly... i can say that the TT stg 2 has a LOT to live up to, oh dear

Matthew
05-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Widest rubber you're gonna fit in the back of your car has a 255 width. I'm talking about your car, post turbo kit. I'm telling you that you will experience traction issues ;)

265 will fit with proper offest and suspension setup.

Your car will make about ~400rwhp, right? You won't easily outpower me. You will use significantly less boost, but you do have an extra couple cylinders and the displacement that goes along with 'em.

Stage II is ~420, but who's counting...

Do you really care about comfort? My STi has a better ride than my m3 with H&R Race/Bilstein sport. Once you're talking 500hp, who really cares about comfort? It's all subjective, anyway.

Your STi has a stock suspension, whereas your M3 has the HARSHEST possible aftermarket suspension...

Your M3 is 6 years older than the STi, and has 4 times the mileage.

Matthew
05-09-2005, 02:24 PM
having been in the STi, and giggling silly... i can say that the TT stg 2 has a LOT to live up to, oh dear

Having driven an M3 turbo with similar HP as the TT Stage II, I can say that the STi will have a lot of catching up to do, oh dear.

stichris
05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
You forgot to reply to the parts where I said I'll be beating him ;)

Even aftermarket traction control can't eclipse the Subaru AWD!

Urinemachine
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Wait, you drive an eclipse?

im confused...

:mrgreen:

TrboChicsRock
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
You forgot to reply to the parts where I said I'll be beating him ;)

Even aftermarket traction control can't eclipse the Subaru AWD!

That's funny... because I remember Sandra easily wheel-hopping your car when she drove it.

Oh wait.. I'm going off topic again. Scratch that.

stichris
05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Ugh, how the **** do you make an STi wheel hop. I call driver error. My poor car :(

TrboChicsRock
05-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Ugh, how the *no cursing!* do you make an STi wheel hop. I call driver error. My poor car :(

She didn't believe that you could get the tires to spin... so she floored it and it wheel hopped.

Matthew
05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Ugh, how the *no cursing!* do you make an STi wheel hop. I call driver error. My poor car :(

Ugh, how the **** do you blow up an M3 diff. I call driver error. Your poor car :(

stichris
05-09-2005, 02:41 PM
That does not parse.

stichris
05-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Ugh, how the *no cursing!* do you blow up an M3 diff. I call driver error. Your poor car :(

You blew up an m3 diff too, fag.

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 05:43 PM

I know, this is why I referranced to your E36 in my last line. Remember, we're all here to have fun. :D

currently running 245's all around and going to 255's when these are toast.

I remember how much cash you dumped into your car, and I'd be willing to bet your total investment outdoes mine, after the turbo kit. Comparing current market value is silly, it's about total out of pocket.

total out of pocket would make most people faint. :P

Either way, I have mad love for the e36, hence why I own one. I'm totally down for some drag runs, STi vs 323, once I'm done.

hell yeah, we should do it. like I said, all in good fun. :)

Your car will make about ~400rwhp, right? You won't easily outpower me. You will use significantly less boost, but you do have an extra couple cylinders and the displacement that goes along with 'em. Do you really care about comfort? My STi has a better ride than my m3 with H&R Race/Bilstein sport. Once you're talking 500hp, who really cares about comfort? It's all subjective, anyway.

honestly shooting for 450whp but just that's gonna be for ****s and giggles. as for comfort, absolutely. I run a $2k suspension kit built by ACS that was designed to run the 'ring at insane speeds and not spill your fru fru coffee at the same time.

you need to beat the crap out of your bimmer more often, it'll appreciate it more and break down less. these cars want the tough love approach when it comes to driving them...just don't put her away wet.

Enter more magazine racing, but I am extremely confident that I'll easily pull from you in the twisties. Pre-turbo, I have tons more power. Post-turbo, you'll be too busy coping with throttle oversteer.

you won't pull away from me in the twisties, you'll be trying to keep up. what numbers are you throwing down right now? In my car's current form, it eats E46 M3s between meals.

throttle oversteer is half the fun my friend, something you can't get in an AWD car. I do give Subaru credit in their AWD approach, they know what they are doing when it comes to AWD but BMW wrote the book on opposite lock power slides.

When I want to turn down the fun, I can always turn a knob and kick in the amount of slip I want dialed in with my programable Racelogic traction control system....which is sitting in a box along with my boost controller and a million other toys.

Let's rendezvous soon ;)

it'll be my pleasure! :thumbup:

if you're old enough to drink, we'll go knock back some ciders and poke fun at each other's rides. :partyman: :mrgreen:

-Ron

themadhatter
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM

Ugh, how the *no cursing!* do you blow up an M3 diff. I call driver error. Your poor car :(

remember that LSDs are wear and tear parts, they don't last for ever. open diffs are another story since there is no friction going on inside to heat them up or stress them.

Matthew
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM

remember that LSDs are wear and tear parts, they don't last for ever. open diffs are another story since there is no friction going on inside to heat them up or stress them.

Mind you this was the diff on my previous M3 that I racked up ~140k HARD miles on...

seneca
05-10-2005, 01:28 PM
http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/GMP2266.jpg =D