PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

freebmx444
06-27-2006, 11:06 PM
where can i get my timing belt done and for how much? i have a 98 gst and its currently at 101500 and i do not know if it was ever changed.

05OCsrt-4
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
any local garage will do it, or most of us here can do it, but make sure it's done b/c u have an interference engine which means if the timing belt breaks, you whole head is trash

awdlaserbeam
06-27-2006, 11:20 PM
I am sure there are several guys around that are reputable to help you out on a weekend... As far as shops, Check out JNZ tuning in hatfield.

Probably want to change your BS belt as well while your down there.

PS- i would highly recomend, DO NOT take it to any local garage. repeat if you are serious about your car DO NOT take it to any local garage.

but make sure it's done b/c u have an interference engine which means if the timing belt breaks, you whole head is trash
Not always true.

05OCsrt-4
06-27-2006, 11:48 PM
with an interference engine it's always true, with a non-interference engine it doesn't matter if the belt snaps, my friends eclipse never changed his belt and about $5000 later, he's running again

awdlaserbeam
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
If you and your friend know so much about rebuilding motors, then why didnt he save a couple thousand $$$ and do the work himself, or is he just loaded like that.

So it is impossible for the belt to break at a point where all the valves are closed??????

05OCsrt-4
06-28-2006, 07:52 AM
If you and your friend know so much about rebuilding motors, then why didnt he save a couple thousand $$$ and do the work himself, or is he just loaded like that.

So it is impossible for the belt to break at a point where all the valves are closed??????

my friend was actually going to do it 2 days after it broke, it just broke before he had time to replace it, and it's not impossible to break the belt at the point where all the valves are closed, most 90% of the time it won't

awdlaserbeam
06-28-2006, 05:56 PM
my friend was actually going to do it 2 days after it broke, it just broke before he had time to replace it, and it's not impossible to break the belt at the point where all the valves are closed, most 90% of the time it won't

Well it appears you just contradicted yourself.......

with an interference engine it's always true,

freebmx444
06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
how much would jnz do it for, i was trying to get carl over at good vibrations to do it but he never got back to me with a price.

05OCsrt-4
06-28-2006, 11:41 PM
how much would jnz do it for, i was trying to get carl over at good vibrations to do it but he never got back to me with a price.

where are you located at?

SpendOne
06-29-2006, 01:52 AM

Carl is away right now. He should be returning shortly. Ill make sure he gets ahold of ya. Does he have your number???

freebmx444
06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
i live in hatboro, and i gave him my number like 2 or 3 weeks ago, so i dont know if he still has it.

SexyDSM95
06-29-2006, 10:44 AM
i live in hatboro, and i gave him my number like 2 or 3 weeks ago, so i dont know if he still has it.If you call again see if you talk to a guy named Dave (he has a Talon). He may be able to get in contact with Carl to see what he can do for you. Good Vibes is a very reputable shop I would recommend to anyone highly.

gvautosport
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Im back...sorry, I was at a felching workshop in Key West!

Call the shop...I barely have time to check pm's and emails anymore guys...sorry!

Just got done balance elim, water pump, timing belt and other misc fun stuff on 2g's just before vacation. Gotta get back tomorrow and finish up my new 2g project as well...

Be sure to call the shop. I need to know if you just want the t belt done or other stuff, meaning water pump, balance elim, etc...

-Carl-