PDA

View Full Version : problems with 04 evo please help!

evodrivesme
06-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I am having some problems with my evo that i just bought and am not really much of a mitsu person comming from the honda world. anyways the car needs just a simple street tune with the vishnu setup that i have but thats not the real problem.

Real problem that i need help with is the car is taking 4 or more times to start up and every few times i get code P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit) but what i have been reading is that if this thing goes bad it wont start up at all so im thinkin the problem could be a little deeper. Im not sure how to get to the sensor to check it out or how to check which plug it is on the ecu eather to run a simple voltage test. When i try and start the car it sounds like when you accidently try and start a car and its already on and all you can hear is that horrible noise from the starter.

if someone could help me in the next day or so that would be awsome and yes you would get some money out of it, gas money and maybe like 100 bucks or something we could figure that out later. you can call me at 206-920-3594 or 724-238-9517 and ask for Ryan. THanks

Oh and i live about 20 minutes outside of Latrobe, Pa

evodrivesme
06-25-2006, 08:05 PM
I bought this car only 2 days ago, i figured all i needed was a good tune and it would run right. It didnt run bad or anything except for hitting boost cut a few times in 5th gear and dying when not in gear and slowing down using the break.

But then the car started to get harder and harder to start and eventualy which is now wont start at all. I got a code about three times now P0335(crank postion sensor circuit) i would clear it and the car still would be really hard to start and wouldnt start. Now i heard if you get this code your car usualy wont start at all, I checked all the fuses for the engine and such and they were all ok. Now the code is off and wont start at all and im also not hearing anything from my walbro 255 when the car is in the ON position im sure that its the same as a honda and should make some kind of whinning noise when on so this could be part of the problem.

Heres the symptoms, when i turn the car to the ON position i hear no noise from the fuel pump i unpluged the pump put it in the ON position took out my volt meter and wasnt getting any readings from any of the sockets on the plug(except for when switched to ohems), i was putting the ground piece to a bolt on the body of the car. Second thing is when i try and start the car the starter isnt turning the motor over every once and a while the cams will move about a half inch or so and when trying to start it, it sounds almost like when you try and start a car that is already on it makes that horrible whining grinding noise and im guessing that maybe the starter went bad and bendix broke or something. I have checked most of the fuses that have anything to do with the engine but maybe someone could tell me spacificly what ones to check.

My mods are, HKS 272 cams, vishnu adjustable cam gears(both set at -2), vishnu xede, titlon twin plate cermettalic clutch, walbro 255 fuel pump, perrin 3in dp and perrin 3in exhaust with a helix 3in high flow cat. Everything was installed around 3 thousand miles ago at bushar in Ohio except for the clutch and the Xede.

My only guesses are the fuel pump has gone bad or the starter has gone bad or maybe both but it just seems wierd that both would happen at the same time. Im new to the EVO's and maybe someone could explain to me where the starter is located i looked a round little bit and couldnt find it. Anyways anything and ideas will help, thanks guys. Oh and sorry for all this reading haha.

SinistiR
06-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Take out the Xede.

evodrivesme
06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
like jjust unplug the unit or what?

SinistiR
06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
yup, The Xede is a piggyback system, hopefuly it was not one that had to be soldered in. If it is, the wiring must be repaired after it is removed. If you are lucky, it just has an intermediate harness that you can unplug. The Xedes are known to be unreliable. Be aware that you will have to get some sort of engine management once the Xede is gone.

highmilehatch
06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
If your new to Evos, why would you buy one that is so modified already? Sounds like you bought someone else's problem. Get rid of the piggyback garbage and get a Power FC.

silver05bullet
06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
get an ecutek flash for it not no power fc

highmilehatch
06-25-2006, 08:55 PM
get an ecutek flash for it not no power fc

Care to elaborate on why??

edit: Nevermind. After looking at some of your posts, you don't contribute much to this board other than sh*t talking in ebonics.

evodrivesme
06-25-2006, 09:25 PM
well how much do the power fc's run i heard they are pretty good, im sure i could make some kinda of trade or sell this Xede

evodrivesme
06-25-2006, 09:26 PM
oh and yes i have unplugged the xede and tried to start it and still the same **** is happening.

highmilehatch
06-25-2006, 09:42 PM
It's not cheap for the EVO. Look to spend $1500 on a unit with the commander plus tuning. Read more here:

http://www.stikiller.com/product.php?productid=16331

If you want to look into other options:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Also, have you verified that there are no bad connections anywhere? Does the Xede use an intermediate harness? Or were the connections soldered/crimped onto the factory wiring?

evodrivesme
06-25-2006, 10:31 PM
there is like a chip thing that is in one of the plugs next to the ecu.

peteyturbo
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a few different problems you have there.
First check the connection and wiring on the CAS. IF the engine came out for work its likely the wires got pinched somewhere and have a bad connection.
Secondly, take you FP out check connections.. I believe the is a relay for the FP that could go bad but that is unlikely..
You could also just have a bad battery or bad ground in the engine bay..Let me know if you come up with anything else.

peteyturbo
06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Power FC does not perform nearly as well as a flash for the EVO's..The computer tries to learn its way around it after time just like an AFC..They have been producing low torque numbers even when tuned properly although the HP is close. Reflashes offer more adjustability and options, just no on-the-fly tuning..There are better piggy back alternatives for the EVO.. Power FC is great, but it's not for every application.Care to elaborate on why??

edit: Nevermind. After looking at some of your posts, you don't contribute much to this board other than sh*t talking in ebonics.

olsookie
06-25-2006, 11:14 PM
the real question is what are your plans for the car. If you check on evolutionm.net you will find many posts on how the exede unit will throw this code ocassionally. The is something you can do to reset the unit. If you call vishnu up or go to there web site, you should check to make sure your exede unit is running the latest firmware and maybe shoot them an email explaining your problem.

evodrivesme
06-26-2006, 01:37 AM
well my plans with the car are to drive it.. but no i didnt really have any plans right now but to make some custom piping new intercooler and BOV but thats really it for now. ya i guess i should go buy that cable from radio shack or something for my lap top and plug it in and update everything. but none of this explains why there is no noise coming from my fuel pump when i put the key in the on position, does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is?

evodrivesme
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
thanks for the info guys i pushed her out of the garage with some help this morning and push started it, fired right up took it down to the local mitsu dealership and its gettin checked out right now pretty sure i got a bad starter and hopefully my warrenty will cover it because they said that as long as aftermarket parts are not causing the problem then they can replace it. i dont think that anything after market will cause a starter to go bad.