PDA

View Full Version : Should I go EWG??

subbietunin
06-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I plan on upgrading turbos down the road, but before I do I want to try to get as much power out of the stock wrx td04 turbo as possible. Keep in mind this is on a ej255 not a wrx motor. The highest hp I have seen out of this turbo is in the 280-285 range, and Ive read of them running very high 12's on the 1/4. I made 221 untuned at 12psi. Current mods are basically turboback, uppipe, tmic, intake, inlet, walbro pump. I have EM, but am untuned for now until I decide what else is going in. I plan on a high stall torque converter, alky, injectors and possibly some P&P of the turbo and ex. manifold. My question is, will an external gate be worth it. I might just want to do it anyways so its there and Im ready for a turbo upgrade afterwards, but will it be beneficial for the stock turbo or is this pointless???

teh DIRT
06-24-2006, 02:26 PM
always go EWG...always

TROLL
06-24-2006, 02:42 PM
haha well its not for everyone due to expense and noise, but it can prove to be very beneficial, at any power level on any turbo. do you take the same uppipe design as the ej20/ej25?

ej20wrx123
06-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Keep in mind this is on a ej255 not a wrx motor.
isnt a ej255 a 06 wrx motor?

D Money
06-24-2006, 07:47 PM
You should def go ewg, especially after knowing how much power me and greg got out of ours. Plus, you know Andy will talk you into it before your tune!

HuffRex
06-24-2006, 10:44 PM
You should def go ewg, especially after knowing how much power me and greg got out of ours. Plus, you know Andy will talk you into it before your tune!
Don't forget about me hahaha...def. go the way of the External Wastegate!

subbietunin
06-25-2006, 10:17 AM
isnt a ej255 a 06 wrx motor?

yea...the 06's do have the 255 now...i wasnt thinking when i posted that...I was just referring to 05 and prior which is the ej20...and troll the uppipe is exactly the same, i have an hks one in there now

sisforsurfing
06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
What kind of gains are people seeing on stock-turbo cars? With a basic WRX setup (up/tbe/ic hoses/tune) is it worth the ~$600 to get the turbo's flapper welded, the EWG, and dump tube welded to the uppipe.
Some people hate the sound of it, but I don't. The thing is, for the price of that setup you could probably go with the Cobb's stage 2.5... which isn't AMAZING, but certainly has to be fun.

Sorry to take away from the original poster, I just want to hear more about EWG's in general since they're getting pretty popular on these cars.

edit: I just found a thread on NASIOC about it, and Troll actually answered my question on there... so 15-30 HP depending on tuning, huh? thread here (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026112&highlight=external+wastegate)

peteyturbo
06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Go EWG if you don't mind the exhaust leak at WOT and also take into consideration if the turbo you are going to upgrade, is going to need to be externally gated at all..
IMHO I would stay internal if possible with a mild turbo upgrade, but if I were to go big, I would go EWG routed back into the exhaust since it is a street car..If I was drag racing alot I would just take the easy route and dump it under the engine bay like everyone else..
It all depends on what turbo you want to upgrade with.

TROLL
06-25-2006, 10:58 PM
this thread is specifically on running an EWG on the stock WRX turbo... when i first read it i didnt know what was in these people's heads, but then i realized the benefits of an EWG are widespread...
check it out...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1001724&highlight=stock+turbo+ewg

gregfeder
06-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I plan on upgrading turbos down the road, but before I do I want to try to get as much power out of the stock wrx td04 turbo as possible. Keep in mind this is on a ej255 not a wrx motor. The highest hp I have seen out of this turbo is in the 280-285 range, and Ive read of them running very high 12's on the 1/4. I made 221 untuned at 12psi. Current mods are basically turboback, uppipe, tmic, intake, inlet, walbro pump. I have EM, but am untuned for now until I decide what else is going in. I plan on a high stall torque converter, alky, injectors and possibly some P&P of the turbo and ex. manifold. My question is, will an external gate be worth it. I might just want to do it anyways so its there and Im ready for a turbo upgrade afterwards, but will it be beneficial for the stock turbo or is this pointless???

haha boops just trying to prove that living back on LI has kept him in the game.

And do you even have to ask about an EWG? How many times did we have drunken retarded talks about "ewwigs" and scare kids walking around campus last year. It should be a no brainer!

subbietunin
06-26-2006, 09:40 AM
haha boops just trying to prove that living back on LI has kept him in the game.

And do you even have to ask about an EWG? How many times did we have drunken retarded talks about "ewwigs" and scare kids walking around campus last year. It should be a no brainer!

hahaha you make an excellent point...just tryin to get my thoughts organized...u know more than anyone that different setups run through my mind like 100 times a day...Im just trying to get set on one and stick with it...looks like this will happen though, summer job pays $50/hr.