PDA

View Full Version : Evo headlight mods?...

wrx_snobordr
06-23-2006, 09:54 AM
I just picked up my evo a few days and love it, but i had a few questions. As far as i can tell the headlights are all the same across the board on evos. Yeah, the mr has HID's but generally they are all appear to have the same design. Since the stock gsr lights are projectors could i just put a set of HID bulbs in there and not have to worry about that terrible , go everywhere look, that happens when you throw hid's in standard light housings. Two, would it require diff wiring or mods to support them. Third, y head lights have the fog lights in them, i just dont have the switch in my car, if i were to buy one from the dealer, is the wiring already there for me to hook up to it and just turn them on. Lastly, in my old subaru there was a mod that allowed you to have just the fogs on without the headlights, is this possible in the evo? Thanks for any help.

Matt

Mr. SUAVE
06-23-2006, 10:09 AM
do a search on evom.

ToTheIX's
06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
if you dont have a switch, then you dont have fogs....it may look like you do but the fogs are not projector type like the headlight, you have a projector looking globe over the spot where they would be....im not sure about the wiring....but if you had them it would be wide open like the high beam part and you would see the bulb in plain view......my guess is that the interior wirng may be there but the fuse wont be and the harness that you would need at the fog light itself isnt there either, i know you can buy the harness on lancershop.com though.....as far as hids...you cant just just put hid bulbs in and be set bc your car isnt set up with the ballasts and evrything to powewr them, you can buy a plug and play kit that includes everything you need, you just need to mount the ballast and igniter (if they arent 1 complete unit ) you could put the cheap fake hid bulbs right in that would work, until they fry your harness of course, so unless you want to put the time and money into real ones id either stay oem or maybe piaa's bc they run at the same power as factory and are much brighter...also warranted for life in most cases

wrx_snobordr
06-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks, I guess ill have to have the fogs installed eventually. As far as the HID's i searched on evolutionm and found a few all inclusive kits, but im not to sure i want to get into ripping my front bumper off and drilling holes in things to mount the ballasts and ignitors. I wouldnt just buy ****ty HID bulbs and put them in, im not trying to ruin my car or drive around with a pididdle.

TROLL
06-23-2006, 07:39 PM
do a search on evom.
why even respond?

matt-- you can easily put HIDs on your car, but it will require a kit, like stated above. i know there was a vendor or two on here selling HID kits so look into that if you want, although its around $300 usually for the kit and will require some minor wiring.

and does anyone know how the Evo headlights vary? i know i've seen an evo at night with low beams and fogs on at the same time... did it change between the 8 and 9? or it it an RS, GSR, MR variation?

ToTheIX's
06-23-2006, 10:20 PM
low beams and fogs is norm, high beams turn fogs off....but i think he was askin if he could run fogs with no low beams....in which case you either have to have your accessory lights on or wire the switch yourself so that you can turn them omn whenevr

TROLL
06-23-2006, 10:35 PM
yeah thats how it is set up normally on my wrx too.

what i'm wondering though is why doesnt he have the fogs? and what evos have them and what ones dont?

i remember i was on the highway last month or so and a car came up behind me... i was like wtf is that cause it was a really strange headlight design. then i realized when it got close that it was an evo and it had lows and fogs on at the same time. just wondering whats what...

ToTheIX's
06-23-2006, 10:40 PM
evo mr or gsr with sun and sound package have hid and fogs....2003 have hid but not sure about fogs, prob an option

wrx_snobordr
06-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I did some reasearch and i dont have fogs and obviously not HID's. I would need to buy the bulbs, wiring harness and swich... oh and learn how to wire, cause i dont know how. So, it loks like ill be taking this to a pro to have it done.