PDA

View Full Version : Censorship on the forum... where to draw the line?

TROLL
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Just trying to encourage feedback here, so please speak your mind. Anything is possible, but I don't want to make any promises.
We will always expect our members to show respect for each other, and moderators will step in to some degree if more than a few minor jabs are taken at someone else... we're just not interested in that kind of drama here.
However, assuming that there is a reasonable level of maturity here, I'd like to see who would and who wouldn't like to remove the word censors, either partially or fully. Please remember that your point will be taken much more seriously if you provide a good argument with evidence to back it up. Go ahead, state your case...
Bryan

96Stang
06-22-2006, 01:35 AM
i say partially it should be taken away...just due to the fact that there is a decent level of maturity on here and i believe everyone could be very responsible given the priveledge of using certain language on this forum...if it gets abused..take it away...simple really...my 2 cents
eric

sesolcSTI
06-22-2006, 01:46 AM
I think the word censorship could be taken down a notch. I do however think that f.....ag, and h......omo, and completely useless words of this nature should be censored. People use the living hell out of these words, and they are too insulting.

As far as the other words, maybe give it a limited trial basis. If people are acting like 8th graders and constantly using them, just to use them, then shut it back down. Doesnt really matter to me....i can state my replies just as easily without the vulgarity, etc.

TROLL
06-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Doesnt really matter to me....i can state my replies just as easily without the vulgarity, etc.

see, thats exactly what i think... and how i would hope everyone would think. but they dont, and if valued members here would enjoy their stay more if they could drop an occasional F bomb without triggering the "****"s then hey, i'm flexible.
of course it would be on a trial basis, and we would set some sort of standard where if we felt a user was abusing their 'free speech' then we would edit their post accordingly. of course we would avoid taking moderating action as much as possible.

9 Ball
06-22-2006, 02:27 AM
... I can state my replies just as easily without the vulgarity, etc.

That's the way I feel. I've been around this site because it's mature and NOT like the others. People have a tendency to get confused between censorship and common sense. If there are individuals that feel their constitutional rights are being violated because a site Admin prohibits the "F" word they really need to exercise their right to crack open a dictionary. My vocabulary isn't limited to a hand full of four letter words but I get the feeling people may eventually abuse those words if you were lay off the filter a bit.

I guess it's your call, man. But keep in mind - this site has grown because of the way it currently is. It's different, and that's a good thing.

S4toSTI
06-22-2006, 02:48 AM
I had a whole response written up about what i think but at the end of the day i couldn't give two ****s.

Smokescreen
06-22-2006, 05:57 PM
I've noticed the censors have gone up a notch from what they were in the beginning, but it doesn't bother me. I think the "soph*more" censor is kinda retarded, but I understand the reasoning behind it and I don't use that word enough to care.

I feel the censors should be kept in place as they are now to curb the occasional immature post/rant (even though the Rant section is gone). If you do decide to remove the censors, the filters at my job will definitely block out whatever page it finds offensive words on. They are sensitive enough to block out any page that has too many "TST Post Whores" posting on it.

WhiteXFire
06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
What we really need, though it's not supported yet in VBulletin that I know of, is simply a user-option for the swear filter. That way, you can have an all powerful filter, and it's simply up to the user if they want to turn it on or off. It could be the default option to be on so that any 13yr old girls that randomly join the site don't start crying, and anyone who feels brave enough can simply go into their own settings and turn it off.

I found a *hack* to do this on the vBulletin forum, but it applies to version 3.0.0...I don't know if it would work for 3.5 as I can't log in to even see what they've done without a license.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63875

05Accent
06-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Well me personally I don’t care weather the filter stays or goes. I would most likely have it stay but just be a little less lenient. Yea im sure there are people on here that think that it should be off with and just let however they want just go off. But that’s what’s keeps this forums different from others and it keeps people in line. As said before assuming that you are responsible enough you wouldn’t need to curse and fly off the handle with those words, to me that doesn’t show maturity.

CleanNeon98
06-23-2006, 01:40 AM
If someone is reading and sees the word bitch, then they know its a curse word...but when they see a bunch of little *****, they still know...wahts the point?

MuddyREX
06-24-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't really care anymore.

I can type "what the ****", and people know exactly what I'm saying. Do what you please.

3POINTONE4
06-25-2006, 08:16 PM
i think that as much as we all use vulgarity, it only reflects an image of immaturity. if you NEED to throw in the F word to express yourself, then that's just ashame.

I have mixed emotions about censorship. When i end up having kids, i dont want to walk around and here people throwing the f-bomb around like it's nothing. this forum is sort-of like a public space, and i think the mature thing is for people to respect it and not curse up a storm; however, people won't, and that's the reason i have no problem with the filter.

i think 90% of the people here wont be offended if it comes down, including me, but i think the responsible thing to do is to leave it up. the ones who whine are far less likely to be more mature than the ones who might be alittle offended.

smoger
06-25-2006, 09:17 PM
i think the censors should be removed. we're all pretty much adults, or late teens here. we use these words in our normal speech so why not here. this is why i coded my forum from scratch.. an addon to swear filter individual users would take me like 20 minutes to code in :)

its a shame that option is not available in vbulletin.

Ronin Tactical
06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
For those of you who have posted on NASIOC, you've likely seen some of the juvenile stuff that goes on there - anything to slow that silly stuff down, I want to talk cars, not bench race with guys who flame you because you counter "what their buddy said" with actual facts.

SexyDSM95
06-26-2006, 10:59 AM
For those of you who have posted on NASIOC, you've likely seen some of the juvenile stuff that goes on there - anything to slow that silly stuff down, I want to talk cars, not bench race with guys who flame you because you counter "what their buddy said" with actual facts.Actually even with the filters on is still done here. Great example:
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15804

It's hard to stop the juvenile stuff when you have juveniles that post.

Broken5hift
06-26-2006, 11:17 AM
we are all adults. and people are assholes. so instead of going on and on about all the things that would lead me to this conclusion. why censor? if someone wants to say something they can just bypass whatever filter or censorship there is.

04 Turbo Spec
06-26-2006, 06:02 PM
i think you should leave it exactly where it is. befor i found this site i wasnt to fond of internet forums. People would curse you out for asking a stupid question or they would say use the ****ing seach button ***!

have u ever been on honda-tech? in most of the treads i read people rip each other apart for stupid reasons, using words a curse combimations i would have never throught of like "cheerio bread mother ****er" or "****ing ******" there is no need for this, i came to TST because it was refreshing to not have any negative and pointless posts.

this site is for information transfering not calling each other ****ing ******s
i think it gives the site more class.

Vypurr2
06-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I vote keep it, unless there is a plugin to turn it on and off on a per user basis!

Vypurr2
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Or just remove the filter for OT

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98269

RayArroyo
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM
**** you william

Erik
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Ive seen poeple saying that censorship here in our forums is too strong and whatnot. Read what goes on in this forum: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=246094#post246094

Even though this is posted in the off topic forum, and is clearly out to start debate and argument(given it is titled "spotted: Puerto Rican"), who wants to come to a car site like TST to read people talk about topics in this forum.

I feel that censorship is extremely neccisary, especially in this case. I am YAY for censorship.

Vypurr2
06-29-2006, 05:08 PM
**** you, you ****in ****!

^ Directed to the Pueto Rican who said "**** you william"

Snoozie
07-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Well one thing that needs to be censored more is when people rip on other member's cars.

For example:
Being told your car is a peice just cause its a Subaru and every one has one, or that its "lower than Hondas".

Whatever the eff that means. :roll:

Vypurr2
07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Well...I think we all know that the most ripped car on this site has been the SRT. I know people who have left because no matter what they were ripped on for owning one. That should be addressed.