PDA

View Full Version : Jerkiness...(RS)

Renegade_
06-21-2006, 05:56 PM
If anyone has a solution to this, it would be great.

Basically, this only happens in first and very midly in second. When I am in first accelerating (not fast, this happens when I do it slowly too) and I let go of the gas pedal the car jerks a LOT. I mean, this isn't like the standard, cruising in fourth and letting off the gas pedal and feeling the engine brake slightly, this is a good jerk in first. This doesn't happen in other cars I drive but only in my RS. It happens when I give gas too. I give gas after I let go of the accelerator and it jerks pretty hard forward too.

Is this a known problem for GC8's or should I get tranny fluid looked at etc? Someone also mentioned before that subarus have bad grounding and it makes some of the jerkiness go away...

So, anyone have a clue? This isn't even at high RPMs...It just does it. Is this a normal thing with RSs? Haven't driven any others so I gotta ask the majority.

MuddyREX
06-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Is this your first manual?

Renegade_
06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Is this your first manual?
No. Ive driven others and it's a lot more jerky than what I thought first gear was normally supposed to do.

Plastik Racer
06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I have a slight jerk in mine too, but its mostly the engine braking when I'm not pushing on the gas pedel. I had some bad grinding from first to second I cured that with some royal purple in the tranny and diff, also I pop'd a STi tranny mount on and that really stiffn'd things up.

SUB2.5RS
06-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah i get the same thing. When i start off and when i let off the gas. I never really understood it but it doesnt really bother me...only when i have a drink in the car.

sisforsurfing
06-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I've heard it called first gear bite. If I let off first gear (or even second) abruptly I get what you're talking about. It helps if you just SLIGHTLY hold the gas down (barely a hair). If you do it right it pretty much eliminates it, especially with passengers (who hate it.)
If you've ever driven a turbo'd car, think of holding down the gas enough to just bring the vacuum back up to -15 h/g, rather than the -20 it would be on decel.

teh DIRT
06-22-2006, 01:36 AM
get motor mounts and tranny mounts and i will go away. thats your driveline shaking

TROLL
06-22-2006, 01:38 AM
i have motor and tranny mounts, and my car does it...

teh DIRT
06-22-2006, 01:48 AM
well you need to learn how to drive my friend

TROLL
06-22-2006, 02:01 AM
i was waiting for that... burn!

sisforsurfing
06-22-2006, 02:03 AM
^haha
Is it the driveline shaking or the fact that it's AWD, and the diff's are making it lurch? Or maybe that would be the same thing.
Regardless, if you hold the gas down a little like I said, you'll pretty much eliminate it.

TROLL
06-22-2006, 02:15 AM
in my head, which doesnt have a very good understanding of gears engaging, diffs, clutches, etc, i always imagined that it was the sprung clutch absorbing some of the shock of letting off the throttle and having the drivetrain start to engine brake... but like i said thats just what the pretty little picture in my head tells me and i'm probably way off.

teh DIRT
06-22-2006, 02:20 AM
from what i have learned. its the transition of the drivetrain from accel to decel. in first gear that ratio is so short that it rocks from decel to coast pretty rough.

cravej
06-22-2006, 08:18 AM
I think that is the slack in the drivetrain. When changing from loaded in acceleration to loaded in deceleration, the slack gets taken up and shocks a little. It can be smoothed out with the way you let off the gas and get back on. Try it real smooth and slow. If you are just letting off the gas to coast, then push the clutch in as you let off the gas and take it out of gear. I don't think there is a part or fluid that will change it, but your footwork can mitigate it.

Renegade_
06-22-2006, 09:47 AM
well you need to learn how to drive my friend
This isn't my first stick.

I know I can drive, but this is unusually jerky. I've driven jettas, it's not nearly this harsh. The civic didn't do it either. An S-10 didn't do it and my friends SRT4 wasn't nearly as jerky as this either. I can make it go away, the problem is that there are times when it still is noticeable.

Archie
06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
i dont know if this is the same thing, but when i shift from neutral to 1st my car shudders a little like i am going to stall out, is this the same thing? But if i gas it more than usual no prob. Its not like a grinding sound though from my perspective.

andddddd this just started a couple weeks ago, never happaned before

Renegade_
06-22-2006, 09:59 AM
i dont know if this is the same thing, but when i shift from neutral to 1st my car shudders a little like i am going to stall out, is this the same thing? But if i gas it more than usual no prob. Its not like a grinding sound though from my perspective.

andddddd this just started a couple weeks ago, never happaned before
What kind of clutch do you have? It is probably just clutch shudder.

Archie
06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
stock