PDA

View Full Version : 50 trim's ?

Silverfc88
06-20-2006, 06:15 AM
I've been looking at 50 trims and there is alot of choices for turbo's out there. So far I've looked at the SBR G50, PTE5031, AGP, and even the Bullseye Turbos. I would love to go with one of the FP turbo's but they are out of the price range at the moment. Looking for a turbo for around 1,000.

What 50 trims have you worked with and would recomend to use? I'm looking to run consistent mid 12's or better on pump gas. Or do you recomend a different turbo to run?

This is for a 1g AWD Talon.

koho2731
06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Ck out www.turbo-concepts.com 50trim stage III turbine for 987.00 with one year warrenty free P&P and gaskets. Let me know if you go with them and I'll see if they can knock a few bucks off for you. They reworked my Turbonetic's T3/TO4E 57 trim with a new turbine housing P&P'd, reballanced the turbo, decked the turbo, and some other stuff. The turbo amost spools up as fast as it did in the Spec V

SexyDSM95
06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
What 50 trims have you worked with and would recomend to use? I'm looking to run consistent mid 12's or better on pump gas. Or do you recomend a different turbo to run?

This is for a 1g AWD Talon.If consistant 12's on pump gas is all your looking for I would reccomend the 20g. Look at SpendOne's (Matt) setup. With a good tune and excellent driving he runs mid 11's on pump and low boost. I believe he also ran consistant low 12's with a boost leak and breaking up (have to ask him for the exact specs/problems he ran into).

Honestly even if that, I would go with a Big 16g/Evo III 16g. There is a guy on SJDSM (JJ) who broke 11's even with that turbo. Just remember the larger turbo you get the less powerband you see at lower RPM's. With most 50-trim turbos the boost lag is horrid too.

koho2731
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
okay I spool up @ 3200rpm in 3rd gear that is almost a quick as my freind EVo III 16G in his Laser and I have a 57trim .63 A/R

Silverfc88
06-20-2006, 12:16 PM
If consistant 12's on pump gas is all your looking for I would reccomend the 20g. Look at SpendOne's (Matt) setup. With a good tune and excellent driving he runs mid 11's on pump and low boost. I believe he also ran consistant low 12's with a boost leak and breaking up (have to ask him for the exact specs/problems he ran into).

Honestly even if that, I would go with a Big 16g/Evo III 16g. There is a guy on SJDSM (JJ) who broke 11's even with that turbo. Just remember the larger turbo you get the less powerband you see at lower RPM's. With most 50-trim turbos the boost lag is horrid too.

I don't want to go with the E316g because I know eventually I'll want to upgrade to something bigger anyways. Like my RX7 I wish I went with something bigger in the first place instead of buying one turbo then and now wanting to get something bigger for it. If I would've gotten it then it would save me at least $400-500. I mean the 16g is a good turbo but knowing me and Allie we will want more.

The 20g is the other turbo that I'm looking at, but those things are expensive as crap! For around the same price I think I can get a BB 50-trim, but its still not out of the picture and for what I want it would probably be fine.

From reading around with a good tune the 50 trims can reach full boost at around 3500rpm. I don't think it would be to bad. I might loose maybe 2-300rpm's. Is the lag really that bad from a 20g and a 50trim?

Silverfc88
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Ck out www.turbo-concepts.com 50trim stage III turbine for 987.00 with one year warrenty free P&P and gaskets. Let me know if you go with them and I'll see if they can knock a few bucks off for you. They reworked my Turbonetic's T3/TO4E 57 trim with a new turbine housing P&P'd, reballanced the turbo, decked the turbo, and some other stuff. The turbo amost spools up as fast as it did in the Spec V

I almost forgot about them. I like turbo's with a warranty. :)

SexyDSM95
06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
From reading around with a good tune the 50 trims can reach full boost at around 3500rpm. I don't think it would be to bad. I might loose maybe 2-300rpm's. Is the lag really that bad from a 20g and a 50trim?Again...with a GOOD tune. Let me help put it into perspective. There are some people in the DSM world with FP Greens/50 trims and a "good tune" only dynoing in at 330awhp maybe a tad more. I also know other DSMer's with 14B's pulling near 300 awhp with a "good tune".

Depends on the 50 trim you go with. If you were to upgrade with a Holset or any type of diesel turbo then I would say no (because that's what I know). Just remember you get what you pay for warranty or not. That goes for any turbo/upgrade performance part.

okay I spool up @ 3200rpm in 3rd gear that is almost a quick as my freind EVo III 16G in his Laser and I have a 57trim .63 A/RDid you read as I italicized MOST? I didn't say ALL I said most, big difference buddy calm down.

koho2731
06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I almost forgot about them. I like turbo's with a warranty. :)
Yea that and they make some of the turbos for the CAN-AM series , Indy, and F1 car too. So they might just have some idea of what they are doing.

Did you read as I italicized MOST? I didn't say ALL I said most, big difference buddy calm down. I was just making a point. Also the size of the turbine, the effincency of the turbine wheel, and any exhaust work before the turbo makes a huge diff.

SpendOne
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
My car hits full boost at about 3800 rpms. 3800 is good enough for me. My car runs on pump gas, low boost, and no timing. On a bad day I can crack 12.0 all day long. On a good day Ill see 11.6-11.8 consistantly. The 20G is tried and proven numberously. Just remember, as stated above, you get what you pay for.

I know a few people off hand that have bought 50 trims thru different companies and they all have the same result. They all leak oil!

I believe he also ran consistant low 12's with a boost leak and breaking up (have to ask him for the exact specs/problems he ran into).

HUGE Boost leak!

peteyturbo
06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
I would reccomend the TD05H-20-G with 8cm 2 Ported exhaust housing..That is a great setup for pump gas and pretty cheap as well..The 20g turbo is a torque monster and a different experience then a 50 trim. It is a very streetable turbo that has the same type of snappy spool up as the 16g, but also keeps up with demand up top.

peteyturbo
06-21-2006, 12:40 AM
That statement really does not give much info as to how fast your turbo spools..What RPM do you hit 20psi??okay I spool up @ 3200rpm in 3rd gear that is almost a quick as my freind EVo III 16G in his Laser and I have a 57trim .63 A/R

koho2731
06-21-2006, 02:24 AM
That statement really does not give much info as to how fast your turbo spools..What RPM do you hit 20psi??
Right at 3200RPM I start to spool @ 2800 it hits pretty hard. Tune plays a big part in why it spools like it does also that both the turbine and compressor housings are P&P along with the manifold.

awdlaserbeam
06-21-2006, 04:20 PM
I have the rs49t. Begins to build boost in the 2k range and by 3500 reaches 18psi. I was going to go with an evo16g but for an extra $100ish i couldnt pass it up.

EvlEgl
06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Try the FP 3065 :)

98GSXdude
07-15-2006, 03:50 PM
i had the turbonetics 50 trim, great turbo and comes with a 1 year warranty. i had to dent the crap out of the water pipe though

SpendOne
07-15-2006, 03:55 PM
i had the turbonetics 50 trim, great turbo and comes with a 1 year warranty. i had to dent the crap out of the water pipe though

My buddy has the same turbo, but just like any other 50 trim, it statrted leaking oil.

koho2731
07-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Why I have did you have to dent the water pipe? I have a 57 trim from turbonetics (rebuilt by Turbo-concepts) and I have plenty of room between the compressor housing and the water pipe. BTW I have the stock 2G manifold. Also I've had mine on two different cars and it hasn't leaked a drop of oil. I also just rebiult it just because it was in the car I totaled and I needed to have the turbine housing decked in any way.

98GSXdude
07-16-2006, 01:44 AM
mine never leaked oil. i had it on the 2g mani also but i had PTE compressor and turbine housings. it started out life as a PTE 50 trim but the car got in an accident and cracked the center housing so i bought a new one from turbonetics.