PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Bushing

ho1ywars
06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
So i went to install my clutch onto my sr, and am extremely confused. First off, i dont remember seeing a pilot bushing come out when i took out the tranny. I was told to put the clutch alignment tool into the hole, and if it was tight, it means theres a pilot bearing in there. Well, its not tight, i dont see one in the crank. The problem is now, that the pilot bushing i got is to big. Like the diameter of the outside of the bushing is by far to large, i think.. I called up ACT, and they say you should have to hit it in. A buddy of mine peter said the same thing. is this normal? A couple people that i have talked to said it should go in nice and easy. This one i have is so large i would hvae to used like a sledge hammer just to get it started.. Do you think it is possible that ACT packaged the wrong bushing?

ACT street clutch
s13 Red top

thanks guys, shawn.

moorefire
06-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Does the ID of the bushing match the input shaft?

Does the OD line up with a grove in the crank?

Cus the bushings don't just fall out, they are pressed in. And the input shaft woulnd't last long without one. There would be obvious damage to the input shaft if the tranny was used without a bushing.

Heres the trick to gettin the old bushing out...

fill the hole with axel grease, then get a socket w/ extension that is a slip fit (slides losely) insde the ID of the hole/pilot bushing. Put an extension on there and hammer away. If you keep it aligned, the pressure of you hammering on the grease will force the bushing out. Be carefull hammering the new bushings in, they're a soft metal and they will crumble if you hammer em to hard.

ho1ywars
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
there is no grove in the crank. i dont think there is a pilot bushing in there. im positive there is not one in there. it must have fallen out when i took the transmission apart. hmmmmmm..

edit

is that the pilot bearing behind that silver ring? does the silver ring have to come out..?

ho1ywars
06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
do i have to remove the metal bushing this guys did?

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?p=955878#post955878