PDA

View Full Version : Something happened to my system help!!

98Eclipse03
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
i've had a jl 500/1 amp and a 12w6 and it's been no problem but today it cut out. i looked at the amp and it's still got the power light lit up when i start the car. i thought maybe it got hot so i waited and tried again but the sub still isn't getting any sound. i don't know if it's the amp or the sub but since the amp has power i'm guessing it has to be the sub. i just don't understand hot it would've blew when it holds 500 watts and the amp wasn't any more than half gain?? does anybody have any ideas of what this could be. thanks

98Eclipse03
06-12-2006, 09:14 AM
ok i tired another sub and it's still not working but the power light on the amp is lit. maybe the rca jacks came loose in the back of the head unit. does anyone else have any ideas. thanks

KrautFed20V
06-12-2006, 09:20 AM
did it make a weird noise when it cut out or no?

95legenddriver
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
sounds like a signal is not getting to the sub i would first check all the conections. scary though would be you blew the amp off course its getting power and maybe imput but output is deffinatly not there

98Eclipse03
06-13-2006, 11:08 AM
i think the amp blew because i checked with the volt meter and everything was getting the right amount but the terminals weren't getting any power to them. the remote, and power wire were fine. i pulled the head unit out and nothing was loose so it's has to be the amp. when it cut off there wasn't any noise or anything.

04PAcruz'n
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
does your amp have a built in fuse? it could of blown.

95legenddriver
06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
time for a new amp

98Eclipse03
06-14-2006, 12:25 AM
i took the amp apart and everything i i didn't see a fuse anywhere. i don't understand how it can't have a fuse in it. the last amp i had came with 2 fuses on the outside where you could see them but this doesn't have that and it looks like there isn't one built in it neither that i can find.

Erik
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Thats wierd. You checked the connections to the subs, the connections at the terminals, check all the wire between, maybe a wire was cut somehow. How many channels your amp have?

Erik
06-26-2006, 11:22 PM
NVM, i overlooked that in your initial paragraph. so scratch the channel question, but still check the wiring between the amp and subs, and all the connections between. Check the RCA inputs on the amp aswell, not just the head unit.

WKderF
06-28-2006, 08:03 PM
check your main fuse. and by check it, i DONT mean look at it inside its protective case. rather, remove the fuse entirely & check for corossion & smoked glass inside the fuse. we have had our share of blown fuses that look completly intact & pass enough power to light up the power lamp on the amplifier, but not enough power to actually drive a speaker or a sub.

JL audio amps have no internal fuse. an internal fuse is only necessary if there are no protection circuits built into the amp. most companies put fuses on their amps because its waay cheaper than protection circuits. thats why you will notice low ohm & thermal overload LEDs, they are part of the protection circuit. JL amps do go bad, ableit very very rarely. I would call up JL audio 954-443-1100 EST, and explain to them what happened. their customer service is top notch.

FYI: amps can overload & blow even if the gains are as low as 5-10%, it all depends on what they are connected to and how they are connected.