PDA

View Full Version : Fourth gear grind, worth getting warranty work done?

Ender81
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Two weeks ago my WRX started doing the dreaded fourth gear grind. I know I can change the fluid in the tranny to fix the issue but I was wondering if, since it's under warranty, I should take back to the dealership and see if they are willing to replace some parts in it. I'd hate to lose the car for a few days but I'm wondering if it might be worth having the newer parts in there and then changing the fluid to a synthetic or "Uncle Scotty's ****tail". The car is an 02 with 50K on it. I don't drive it overly hard but I admit I have done some "spirited" driving.

Jlb725
06-08-2006, 04:00 PM
If its an 02 with 50K you probably don't have warranty. I would start with the tranny fluid and go from there.
- Jim

D Money
06-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Good luck getting warrantied..

Actually before I say that. What are your mods?

Ender81
06-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Well actually since I got the car used I bought a warranty for it, and specifically I made sure it would cover the tranny. As for mods I have the sti tranny and motor mounts, kartboy short shift bushings, snorkel removed, turbo xs uppipe, hks cat back, KYB AGX shocks, progress springs, ss brake lines and slotted rotors. Nothing crazy or too performance oriented. And if they give me any crap I'll point out that everything but the exhaust, and snorkel mod were there when I bought it.

MuddyREX
06-08-2006, 04:37 PM
My car had the 4th gear grind for a while, but it went away after switching to another gear lube. I swapped it out for Mobil1 gear oil, and it feels way better.

D Money
06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Well actually since I got the car used I bought a warranty for it, and specifically I made sure it would cover the tranny. As for mods I have the sti tranny and motor mounts, kartboy short shift bushings, snorkel removed, turbo xs uppipe, hks cat back, KYB AGX shocks, progress springs, ss brake lines and slotted rotors. Nothing crazy or too performance oriented. And if they give me any crap I'll point out that everything but the exhaust, and snorkel mod were there when I bought it.
You better try out uncle scottys ****tail or syncomesh...

You have no chance in getting that car warrantied bro, I hate to say it. Your fully catless, stiffened up your shifter, and you have exterior mods that put you into a catagory of a weekend racer. Reguardless, best of luck...

Ender81
06-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't know how much it matters with the place but I am still catted, I never replaced the stock downpipe. Do you think much damage has been done though by it grinding. I mean I try to keep it in check by not shifting into fourth at the higher RPM's when it would grind. But getting on the highway I do forget sometimes and it grinds.

D Money
06-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't know how much it matters with the place but I am still catted, I never replaced the stock downpipe. Do you think much damage has been done though by it grinding. I mean I try to keep it in check by not shifting into fourth at the higher RPM's when it would grind. But getting on the highway I do forget sometimes and it grinds.
I am sure with some good trans fluid you should be able to get rid of that grind, might be a synchro though.

As far as asking me about wrx tranny's. I was the only person who thought I could last on one making 330whp and running it with an act HD pressure plate, too bad it only lasted 2 days. lol

Ender81
06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
As far as asking me about wrx tranny's. I was the only person who thought I could last on one making 330whp and running it with an act HD pressure plate, too bad it only lasted 2 days. lol

And here I thought that would be a good reason to ask you. I figured you must know a lot about them now that you have to replace yours lol. I'd love to upgrade the gears but that's a bit more cash then I have to spend on the car right now.

D Money
06-08-2006, 05:26 PM
The ONLY gearset worth putting into a wrx would be PPG straight cut's 1-4, or even PPG straight cut 1-2 and helical cut 3-4. STi RA gears are worthless and kids break them all day long, depending on your mods and driving style. Me, I just buckled up and am buying a full STi 6MT drivetrain.

Ender81
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Give or take how much does it run to have those gears installed? I know the 6 speed conversion is the best way to go but I'm not going to be doing enough power wise to justify doing it. Even though it would make for a more fun driving experience

D Money
06-08-2006, 05:32 PM
PPG gears w/synchro's pending you deliver him your trans
$4,500

6MT swap with R160 and 3.90 gears
Roughly $3700ish

6MT swap with r180 and brembos all the way around
$4,500-5,000

Ender81
06-08-2006, 05:33 PM
6MT swap with r180 and brembos all the way around
$4,500-5,000

If you've got the money that sounds like the best deal. Where are you having the work done at?

D Money
06-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I am buying everything off a guy on nasioc. Then troll and teh dirt are putting it in, well atleast I believe they still are.

Ender81
06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
That's cool, can't wait to see how it turns out, good luck

MuddyREX
06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I've also replaced a trans, and the new stock trans also ground 4th gear.

Before changing expensive parts, swap the fluid to something better. It makes a world of difference.

mostasteless
06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Definately change the fluid first, it makes a big difference. I use Redline Lightweight Shockproof and the difference over stock is amazing. It is a little rougher before it's fully warmed up but once warmed up it shifts alot smoother and it completely got rid of the grinding sound I use to get going into 3rd.