PDA

View Full Version : 1G/2G Parts?

Renegade_
06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Friend of mine is looking into getting a 1G or 2G. However, alot of the cars have a lot of miles on them and he is looking into putting forth the time and effort into rebuilding one of the engines to handle more power. Are there any places which supply shortblocks and forged internals for the engines these cars run? (I am NOT a guru at these engines, I think they are 4G63G's) And is it worth replacing things like the shortblock on these for the price? (Again, my backround is NOT DSMs)

Lastly, is there a local shop which has done rebuilds on other 1/2G's before that knows what they are doing? We don't want to hand over the block to anyone and then figure out they screwed it up and have to rework it from scratch.

Dan@FSM
06-07-2006, 11:17 AM
We can supply forged internals and any other part for the mitsu's. Also we've done quite a few engine builds for them. Right now we have 2 cars with engines that we built in the shop, one is a 91' gsx, the other a 95 with 6 bolt conversion. Also an evo, but that has a stock engine and is getting a Full Race GT35R turbo kit hehe.

SexyDSM95
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I hope you realize that a DSM is NOT a domestic. Kthxbaiftl

And tell your friend to check out JNZTuning in Hatfield, PA

And why doesn't your friend just buy a running one and purchase another 6/7 bolt block (around $300) and send that one out for a rebuild. I don't understand why he would want that anyways when many 1g's with 6 bolts have gone over 200k in miles and run fine.

Renegade_
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I hope you realize that a DSM is NOT a domestic. Kthxbaiftl
Wasn't paying attention when clicking, meh.

And tell your friend to check out JNZTuning in Hatfield, PA

And why doesn't your friend just buy a running one and purchase another 6/7 bolt block (around $300) and send that one out for a rebuild. I don't understand why he would want that anyways when many 1g's with 6 bolts have gone over 200k in miles and run fine.
This is basically what i was asking, when sending the engine out for a rebuild, where can he source new parts for the motor? I know the stock internals are awesome at handling power and on some of the DSM boards they have them handling 400whp+ on stock internals. So in short, would the rebuild be worth it and would it handle higher power ratings much better than a stock motor when only looking at the 400whp range?

SexyDSM95
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
This is basically what i was asking, when sending the engine out for a rebuild, where can he source new parts for the motor? I know the stock internals are awesome at handling power and on some of the DSM boards they have them handling 400whp+ on stock internals. So in short, would the rebuild be worth it and would it handle higher power ratings much better than a stock motor when only looking at the 400whp range?IMHO, no

Only reason why is because the 6 bolt motor is very solid. (this is if he goes with a 1st gen). I would not reccomend him shopping for a 2g with a 6 bolt swap unless the seller can prove undoubtly that the 6 bolt swap was done properly or by a good DSM shop. You don't want to buy someone else's headache/hassle and many of us can vouch for that fact.

I would reccomend to your friend or anyone wanting to purchase a car is to find something as close as stock as possible. A MBC, intake, exhaust, etc. little things like that are okay. But don't go with someone who was a hack and installed SAFC wrong, or anything that in depth to where they could have possibly screwed up the stock wiring or installed internals half-assed.

I also say that it's not worth a rebuild is because if he walks, breaks, anything of that motive to need a new motor....they are cheap around $300-400 for another motor and your friend would be good to go. For further or more technical advice just go to PhillyDSM or even check out the Mitsubishi section of this forum. There are tons and tons of helpful links along with questions that you or your friend may have and already been answered numerous times.

Signatus230
07-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Yea, that was me that he was talking about. I am still interested in doing some things, I just need to find a car first! ^_^

Anyway, I have a few utter noob questions, but I also have the means to get most of them answered. If I have any real concerns, Ill post them here. (in the proper forum that is...)

koho2731
07-22-2006, 12:26 AM
I hope you realize that a DSM is NOT a domestic.

Plymouth and Eagle are still domestics last time I cked or did them import them form Normal, IL :lol:

A stock bottomend 2G 7 bolt has made 567awhp. I'm not sure for how long, but it has made the power before. Any engine can crank walk, but it's just seems to happen more in the 2G's. Depending on what he wants to do there is a few options he has for doing a rebuild (2.0, 2.1, 2.3, 2.4lts). I would find a stock car and start from there.

Signatus230
07-23-2006, 02:34 PM
What do you think is a better idea, getting a shell and rebuilding everything? Or getting a car that runs well and just slowly add on to it from there.

The car wouldnt neccessarily sit in my driveway all the time, but I wouldnt commute to work and back. I can also pretty much afford to spend the time + frustration, etc on it, especially when something on a DSM breaks it BREAKS. Lol.

koho2731
07-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I would rather buy some thing I could drive and build it up slowly. First thing to do if you have no maintance paper work is change the timming belt and fix any know problems before you mod.

SexyDSM95
07-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Plymouth and Eagle are still domestics last time I cked or did them import them form Normal, IL :lol: With that being said then Mitsubishi's are also domestic then b/c they are built in a factory in IL too. But going along with your theory Aston Martins are not imports either since FORD owns them, right?

IMPO, get something as close to stock as possible and build up like he already mentioned. If you get a shell and try to build it up yourself be prepared for a long haul but a nice learning project. With building a shell, you have much room to be wrong and won't know you are wrong until you actually drive the car.

koho2731
07-24-2006, 03:01 AM
With that being said then Mitsubishi's are also domestic then b/c they are built in a factory in IL too. But going along with your theory Aston Martins are not imports either since FORD owns them, right?

IMPO, get something as close to stock as possible and build up like he already mentioned. If you get a shell and try to build it up yourself be prepared for a long haul but a nice learning project. With building a shell, you have much room to be wrong and won't know you are wrong until you actually drive the car.
How does that change the Plymouth and Eagle were american car companies from back in the day? I guess form what your saying Neon/SRT-4's are imports. You know you make it so easy to get you wound up about these thing :lol: which makes it so much fun. BTW you VSS is still working like a champ :-p

Back on topic a shell is only really good if you building a strait up race car and have no real intensions on driving it any time soon. Depending on how much comes with the shell you may need to buy all the intr along with the drivetrain to make it a "street car"

SexyDSM95
07-24-2006, 08:39 AM
How does that change the Plymouth and Eagle were american car companies from back in the day? I guess form what your saying Neon/SRT-4's are imports. You know you make it so easy to get you wound up about these thing :lol: which makes it so much fun. BTW you VSS is still working like a champ :-p

Back on topic a shell is only really good if you building a strait up race car and have no real intensions on driving it any time soon. Depending on how much comes with the shell you may need to buy all the intr along with the drivetrain to make it a "street car"Not wound up I could care less about you or your cynical comments. I was more speaking of the engineering platform not who manufactures it. My VSS was broken off the trans, it never just stopped working due to default. It has been sorted out and next time you want to be a smart ass towards me make sure you remember or get all the facts sorted out, it's just funnier that way.

koho2731
07-24-2006, 10:45 AM
You the funny part is you jump that guys **** for it and your facts maybe a bit off kinda. You do remember that Diamond Star Motors (DSM) was a joint effort between Mitsubishi and Chrysler's Eagle and Plymouth divisions. That would be both "domestic" and "import" engineers working together so both side could be argued. Also with your theory you better tell the GTO guys there driving around imports because it wasn't engineered in the US along with half the small car market that was engineered by the European divisions of the US base companies and restyled for the US market. The whole "import" and "domestic" thing isn't like it was through the 70's with all the co.ops. and mergers it isn't as clear cut. If you think I would say some **** with out being able to back it up you are mistaken. Really I was just trying to give you **** because you were quick to jump on Renegade for posting in the wrong section and you do get wound up over little thing like this, but I’ll stop messing with you and I apologize if you to it personal

SexyDSM95
07-24-2006, 10:54 AM
I didn't think you could not back it up with the argument of "import or not". I was talking about you trying to bust on me. You were totally incorrect on the VSS situation. And it was sarcasm for him posting here especially when there is a section called "Mitsubishi Tech". But I guess that's what you get for getting into it a month later and not picking up sarcasm. And I would argue the fact that even though Chrysler was a joint merger, they still IMPORTED and rebadged certain Mitsus. Oh and this also helps:
http://www.geocities.com/seegs_82/Index.html
For the 1995 lineup, a new, more aggressive, comfortable, and luxurious design was chosen to replace the older Talon and Eclipse models. The design was smoothed out and given an aerodynamic feel. The ride was lowered 2 inches and given a wider, longer stance. As far as the mechanical aspects are concerned, the new design featured slightly altered variation of the 2.0L turbocharged engine with an additional 15hp. The new engine included higher compression, a smaller (T-25) garret turbo, upgraded "non-ticking" lifters, as well as a host of other improvements. The 420a was used as the non-turbo engine. This particular motor was chosen to satisfy Mitsubishi's domestic content clause. The U.S. Government reportedly did not allow the 420A to be used as domestic content due to the fact that the engine is built in Mexico. Chrysler does get to claim it as being domestic.*

You can easily argue back and forth but then this guy would never know what to do to help out his friend.

koho2731
07-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I was give you **** about the VSS because JNZ sent me the one you had on order for a few weeks and I got it in like two days. I guess you forgot about that. Your right I didn't even look at the date when you posted it :lol: . Okay I'll stop being a dumb ass now :o

SexyDSM95
07-24-2006, 11:02 AM
I was give you **** about the VSS because JNZ sent me the one you had on order for a few weeks and I got it in like two days. I guess you forgot about that. Your right I didn't even look at the date when you posted it :lol: . Okay I'll stop being a dumb ass now :oYea, but look what you posted dinus (sarcastic dingus). You said it like mine malfunctioned or something.

Renegade_
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
ok, so thread in short...no point in rebuilding a block if you plan on running max around 400 HP...:roll:

To keep with the topic...

SexyDSM95
07-24-2006, 11:07 AM
ok, so thread in short...no point in rebuilding a block if you plan on running max around 400 HP...:roll:

To keep with the topic...well...depends
a 1g 6-bolt block is good for well over 400HP without having to build up internals. The 2g 7-bolt is good for around 400HP same deal.

Renegade_
07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
it's not as if we are buying the car and just slapping on a 20G and just cranking up the boost, stuff will be upgraded with it in time to handle things accordingly. But according to what you guys are saying, the internals, with proper supporting mods, will be able to handle 400 HP?

SexyDSM95
07-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Like I said...
2g no internals = up to 400 HP
1g no internals = up to 500 HP (I think could be more)

koho2731
07-24-2006, 12:58 PM
yep 2G= 400+
1g 6 bolt= 500+
1G 7 bolt = 450+
Tune makes all the differance in the work also your supporting mod and key

dstarmotuner
07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Plymouth and Eagle are still domestics last time I cked or did them import them form Normal, IL :lol:

A stock bottomend 2G 7 bolt has made 567awhp. I'm not sure for how long, but it has made the power before. Any engine can crank walk, but it's just seems to happen more in the 2G's. Depending on what he wants to do there is a few options he has for doing a rebuild (2.0, 2.1, 2.3, 2.4lts). I would find a stock car and start from there.

Correct me if im wrong, but weren't all turbo model Dsms made in the U.S.? A stock 1g/2g block can handle about 400hp but its risky. Early 1g rods and 2g pistons have been a proven good combo if he decides to go on a budget.

koho2731
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but weren't all turbo model Dsms made in the U.S.? A stock 1g/2g block can handle about 400hp but its risky. Early 1g rods and 2g pistons have been a proven good combo if he decides to go on a budget.
Yes they all can out of the same plant. Both block have made well over 400whp in stock form with just bolt ons. 6 bolt rods and 2G pistion are a common upgrade for a budget build BTW the Galant VR-4 where imported form Japan

dstarmotuner
07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes they all can out of the same plant. Both block have made well over 400whp in stock form with just bolt ons. 6 bolt rods and 2G pistion are a common upgrade for a budget build BTW the Galant VR-4 where imported form Japan

Yea the galants were but hes talking laser/eclipse/talons hence the 1g/2g. 2g pistons have higher compression so yea its a decent mod if ou have a 6 bolt and your engine is apart.

koho2731
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
At this point now Evo VIII/IX pistion would be the best choice at 8.8:1 compared to the 8.5:1 from the 2G

dstarmotuner
07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
At this point now Evo VIII/IX pistion would be the best choice at 8.8:1 compared to the 8.5:1 from the 2G

Possibly haven't heard of that combo yet but higher compression isn't a;ways best for turbo cars. Especially considering evo 4g63 are different than dsm 4g63s

koho2731
07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
yes and it's still a 7 bolt block, but the head is completly different and of course it sit the opostit way in the eng bay. The differancts between 8.8:1 and 8.5:1 is really anything you can't raise or lower the compression that much it the head gasket thickness

Dan@FSM
07-29-2006, 01:37 PM
The difference between 8.5 and 8.8 in compression is so miniscule, it'll never be noticed. On the other hand, turbo street motors are built into the 10:1 compression range now adays. Low compression is a thing of the past.