PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever transfer their website/domain?

criz
04-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I"m thinking about transfering my Dad's company website to godaddy.com... has anyone moved to godaddy.com before or have transfered their website from one hosting company to another?

I wonder how smooth it can be

MidgetBrawl
04-22-2005, 01:47 PM
It depends where your domains were originally registered. Waaaaay back in the day I used register.com because I didn't know any better. Recently I wanted to switch that domain to another registrar. Basically the new registrar sends a request to the current registrar. . . .the current registrar asks for your permission to give them authority over your domain. . . you give them permission and they transfer the domain to the new registrar.

Of course the companies don't like when you're taking your business from them, so sometimes they'll pull some shady crap and say either the new registrar never contacted them. . . or they'll say your email confirming the move never got to them. . . .or they'll wait until the new registrar's time limit expires to send you your confirmation, thus negating this attempt and forcing you to try again. I've had all these things happen to me. . . it took like a month to transfer my domain.

good luck
-Tim