PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid

adamkob32
05-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey just wondering what brands of synthetic transmission fluid I can use in a 91 Civic Si manual. I need to replace axles and drain the fluid but I have no owners manual nor can I find anything online about what weight and type fluid to use. Any help is appreciated!

--Adam

bcspeed215
05-27-2006, 04:34 AM
As far as a synthetic trans fluid we have had great results witht he redline mtl. other options would be neo synthetic, we used to run it in our race car before we switched over to redline and then there is awalys gm syncro mesh. gm syncro mesh may be a little agressive though.

gary
05-27-2006, 04:52 AM
When its time to change I have always used 90W Mobil 1 synth gear oil... it took my 95 tracer to almost 300miles on stock clutch... even though that car was a pos it I do miss it. I am sure you are looking for something a little more higher perf so I second the redline.

Dan@FSM
06-02-2006, 12:26 PM
When its time to change I have always used 90W Mobil 1 synth gear oil... it took my 95 tracer to almost 300miles on stock clutch... even though that car was a pos it I do miss it. I am sure you are looking for something a little more higher perf so I second the redline.

Dont use a high weight oil like this in honda transmissions. I always use oem honda MTF. If not that then plain old 10w30.

adamkob32
06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Dont use a high weight oil like this in honda transmissions. I always use oem honda MTF. If not that then plain old 10w30.

That's the first I have heard that. Just regular old engine oil?

--Adam

ej20wrx123
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
i dont know what hondas like but my suby loved Redline lightwieght shockproff the blueish green stuff that smells

SexyDSM95
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
AMSOIL Syncromesh

http://www.synthetic-solutions.com/trans_synchromesh.htm

Dan@FSM
06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
That's the first I have heard that. Just regular old engine oil?

--Adam

Yes sir. Holds up great and I believe it even says it in the Helm's. I abuse the hell out of mine, 10,000+ rpm shifts and no problems. Of course I installed Gear-Speed carbon coated synchro rings in my trans and did some secret proprietary mods to the assembly as well. Good ol' Dad has owned a transmission service for over 35 years and I pretty much grew up around them, so you could say I learned a thing or two ;)

BCSpeed
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda mtl if a good fluid under normal driving condtions and non worn syncros. Transmissions that are abused and have worn syncros honda fluid dose not help any with high rpm shifts, or change anything!!honda fluid will cause premature wear to syncros!With thicker fluid syncro wear is not as obvious. Not implying that the tramission is fixed but its a temp repair for those that cant afford to dissable a trans. Using regular 10w30 is not a good practice its a cheep way out and not the right way to fix anything!!! If honda wanted engine oil to be in there trans. they would make it clear in factory service manuals. If race car trans. holds up with plain engine oil than the driver is not driving the car as it is ment to be driven ( ie. 8000 rpms shifts)

Dan@FSM
06-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Dude thats fine if you want to argue. I think I know a thing or 2 about the inside of a transmission, after all I pretty much grew up in a transmission shop. You say that some oil work in a trans with worn synchro's, yeah maybe but its just masking the fact and the problem within the trans will continue to get progressively worse.
I swear by honda MTF in a proper running trans. Again, I shift at 10K plus rpm and dont have a single issue. This is in a well abused trans might I add. I rebuild plenty of these thing for cars making over 600+. If you really want to get serious I can setup anyone up with the Liberty gearset and trans case if you have the dough.

BCSpeed
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
You just proved nothing. By adding thiner fluid to a beat trans it is not going to reduce any friction, by adding thicker less dense fluid to a beat trans will reduce friction. Its all simple engineering principals. Good luck with you trans! mike