PDA

View Full Version : Today (4/20/05)

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
The loud purple thing in my driveway will be getting new mounts put in at around 6pm (when I get home from work and get changed)

Hopefully, silverbullet will be there and bring a video camera for engine movement comparisons (IE: dry rev movement as well as into gear movement).

Complete with pictures comparing new mounts to stock mounts.

Word. I can't wait. This is gonna be sick sh!t.

Old mounts:
-99+ Dogbones, stock rubber/metal inserts
-91-2001 Torque Axis Mount (TAM) Rubber/metal construction (2.5 years max per TAM, $125 replacement)

New mounts:
-99+ dogbones with Prothane polyurathane/metal inserts pressed in (that was a fun job :roll: )
-Copptertop's experimental TAM (only 5 have been produced this far, including his own. Mine is the second to be made and shipped)

SilverBulletRL
04-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm worried that the TAM will have a negative effect on your timing... I guess we'll find out....

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm worried that the TAM will have a negative effect on your timing... I guess we'll find out....

Nah, it shouldn't.

I don't know where you're getting that from. The only thing it could possibly do is shatter my timing chain cover, and for me to do that in this car when it was tested on a turbo and nitroused car would be a breakthrough.

*edit*
I lied. Only nitrous. He's been launching and doing 2nd and 3rd gear high drops for back and forth movement and hasn't even cracked it, so I doubt I'll have a problem.

SilverTurboRidin
04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
ill be over.

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 02:20 PM
ill be over.

Do you even know where I live? I didn't think I showed you. Ahh, it won't be hard. Just look for a saturn half posing as a DSM.

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 02:40 PM
AHH CRAP!

I forgot that I don't have my jackstands anymore!

Alex, you got a set?

Twin_Cam
04-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Coolness. Interested to see how that upper mount works. May be interested in one for the '93 if it works well.

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Coolness. Interested to see how that upper mount works. May be interested in one for the '93 if it works well.

It might not if I can't get jackstands, lol!

Where's a local DSM owner when you need one?

the mike
04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Their jackstands are all occupied. :thumbup:

How many mounts are on a Saturn motor? And there is one that attaches to the timing cover? It would tear off on any other car.

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Their jackstands are all occupied. :thumbup:

How many mounts are on a Saturn motor? And there is one that attaches to the timing cover? It would tear off on any other car.

I think there are 4 or 5, only 3 ever need to be replaced.

The 4 I can remember is the Torque Axis Mount (also called the upper engine mount...the one that attaches to the timing chain cover, and no, it doesn't rip off, even with 421hp. GM must have thought about that), the Lower Dogbone (also called the lower engine mount...accessible through the passenger wheel well), the Upper Dogbone (also called the upper transmission mount, accessible by removing the intake piping), and the lower transmission mount which I've never heard of having a problem because it's right on the torque axis or something to that effect and doesn't take much strain.

Jeff, feel free to correct me on this.

SilverBulletRL
04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Yes, you can use my stands. We only really need 1 from what I remember when I put mounts in my old S-Series... I'll bring both tho. I also have to fix my intake filter while im at your house clint. It fell off last night..

99SL2_Modder
04-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Yes, you can use my stands. We only really need 1 from what I remember when I put mounts in my old S-Series... I'll bring both tho. I also have to fix my intake filter while im at your house clint. It fell off last night..

I got some self tappers if you wanna put some in.

Couple Tec's should do it fine.