PDA

View Full Version : Think saftey when you install your spray

EMPlebani
04-20-2005, 07:49 AM
check out this fire...think twice when your in a hurry installing your performance parts on your pride and joy.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=133835&page=1

Eric

the mike
04-20-2005, 08:08 AM
The car seemed prepped pretty well. Maybe it was a part malfunction(bad solenoid?)
I saw that yesterday when I was looking at the results of the shootout.

1988 Olds
04-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Damn. that car is gone. Glad to see no one was hurt.

UnderPoweredRS
04-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Now thats how you strip a DSM down to nothin. looks like it would have been a fast runner if it didn't go up in flams though. Maybe the engine is salvagable.

stichris
04-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I am probably just echoing what people have already said, but why the **** did it take them so long to get that fire under control? The shot with the burning car and pile of fire extinguishers is almost amusing. I would be very, very upset with that track. Not because of the car, but because of potential HUGE safety hazard. What if the driver was stuck in the vehicle? They also stood around it for way too long. I'm sure there was the potential for an explosion (or additional explosions). They did a poor, poor job.

That being said, once a car catches fire like that, it might as well burn down to nothing. There's no recovering from that.

MuddyREX
04-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Wow, 43 views and not a DSM joke in sight.

I feel for that guy. Having your car go up in flames at the track gets you nothing from your insurance company.

stichris
04-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Pretty sure that was a race car.

bjc26
04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
It was not a nitrous problem it was a fuel rail problem. The car is owned by Showdown Motorsports. From what I heard (from the owner) the fire started because of the aem fuel rail they were running. AEM uses a two piece design and one "leg" pushed itself away from the main rail causing the fuel leakage and continuation of the fire. The track wasn't really prepared for that size of a fire but then again most aren't when it comes to large fires. They used 10 fire extinguishers over the course of 10 minutes before calling for a fire truck, by the time the truck came it was too late. The car is a total loss, engine and all. Nothing was salvageable. I can't imagine watching 10's of thousands of dollars go up in fire.

Lesson learned: Carry your own fire extinguisher and if you have a very valuable/fast car get a halon system.

the mike
04-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Isn'a a Halon system just for the interior of the car to allow the driver to escape?

In the end, that's all that matters.

bjc26
04-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Isn'a a Halon system just for the interior of the car to allow the driver to escape?

In the end, that's all that matters.

They have different types of halon systems available. Some have as many as 3 nozzles, one for the driver, one for the engine compartment, and one for the fuel cell area. All depends on how much you want to spend.

Matthew
04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Poor DSM :cry:

Silverfc88
04-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Makes me feel sick when I see a car like that.. :cry:

Driven
04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
It was not a nitrous problem it was a fuel rail problem. The car is owned by Showdown Motorsports. From what I heard (from the owner) the fire started because of the aem fuel rail they were running. AEM uses a two piece design and one "leg" pushed itself away from the main rail causing the fuel leakage and continuation of the fire. The track wasn't really prepared for that size of a fire but then again most aren't when it comes to large fires. They used 10 fire extinguishers over the course of 10 minutes before calling for a fire truck, by the time the truck came it was too late. The car is a total loss, engine and all. Nothing was salvageable. I can't imagine watching 10's of thousands of dollars go up in fire.

Lesson learned: Carry your own fire extinguisher and if you have a very valuable/fast car get a halon system.

To clear up this thread, it was an Aeromotive fuel rail that they believe caused the fire. I am not sure how they determined that though as I am pretty sure most, if not all aluminum parts would have been completely melted away from a fire that intense.

As for the staff at the track, I've seen a 16 minute long video of them trying to extinguish that fire. They put everything they had into that fire and nothing would tame it. Even after the fire company came, the would think they had the fire out, and it would come back to life. I don't think anything short of a fire truck being at the track at the time of the fire would have saved that car. The Halon system's work great for smallish type fires, but a fire of that magnitude that went up that quick, I don't think it could have stopped.

Thankfully the driver made it out fine and he will live to build another DSM. The DSM that burned was a 10 second car and I believe it had definite 9 second potential. I saw pictures of the car the week prior to it going up just as they were completing their last set of modifications and it was a beautiful piece of work.