PDA

View Full Version : Not really Upcoming, but here's the date for EVO vs. STi/WRX - Aug. 20th

the mike
04-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Just getting the ball rolling on organizing some caravan action to the WRX/STi vs. EVO shootout.

SATURDAY AUGUST 20th.

Any thoughts? Meet at Red Robin to take the Turnpike?
Post up ideas, suggestions, thoughts....

stichris
04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Where is it being held?

I'm in. August will be post rally. Car should be kind of quick by then.

Chris

the mike
04-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Sorry, the shootout is at Englishtown Raceway.

www.etownraceway.com

TROLL
04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
i hope there are some STis who can represent this year... last year was, well, quite disappointing. since that day i have held the opinion that if i was looking into an upgrade from my WRX it would be a total tossup between the STi and Evo... and to be honest, i'd lean towards the Evo (sans test drive).
bryan
i probably should not have put that in writing publicly... its going to be quoted somewhere, i just know it.

evilution
04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
i thuoght they just had the evo vs. sti in ohio......

teh DIRT
04-18-2005, 09:46 PM
ill be down to watch

the mike
04-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Nah, there was a shootout at E-town last year. EVO's won. :thumbup:

crtillmanspeed
04-19-2005, 12:26 AM
so if i go do i HAVE to track my car?

cause if i do i need a day or two for my clutch... i just ordered it today... god damnit if only i didnt wait so long to do everything...

EDIT: WOAH didnt see the word august... duh.... im down

criz
04-19-2005, 08:26 AM
i'm in... and i'll def. be ready by aug 20

the other chris will be ready too... CHRIS, We have to go over to precision dyno soon!

97TSi
04-19-2005, 08:28 AM
EVO's won. :thumbup:

Would anyone expect a different outcome? ;)

ps-I'm game for whatever.

TehWagon
04-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Yea evo's mopped the eff up last year! It'd be cool to see the STi's give them more of a run for their $$.
Meeting up at RR sounds like a good idea - the turnpike's right there, and everyone knows where it is.

crtillmanspeed
04-19-2005, 11:19 AM
So I'm one of 3 Chris' on here with an STi? :eek:

crazy.

the mike
04-19-2005, 12:21 PM
So I'm one of 3 Chris' on here with an STi? :eek:

crazy.

And one of 295 Chris's in general.

Chris population>Subaru Population>DSM population. :eek:

elipsekid
04-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Another Chris here but I got a dsm. :cool:

the mike
04-19-2005, 05:22 PM
OK, Subaru guys, the EVO guys are calling you out. Apparently there was a lackluster showing in Ohio earlier this month, with the STi's barely breaking into the 11's (2 total). THe EVO's were running low 10's.

Matthew
04-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Evo > STi

teh DIRT
04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Evo > STi>Vacuum

fixed

Matthew
04-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Evo > STi>Vacuum

fixed

Wanna race?

teh DIRT
04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
easy tiger. got nothing against your car. As you know...im in the vacuum too.

EVO>STi>your vacuum>my vacuum

TrboChicsRock
04-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Didn't the STi's learn their lesson at last years?

9 Ball
04-21-2005, 06:14 AM
I think they're looking for revenge this year. :mrgreen:

I think the results will be the same, however, hopefully there will be some STIs that can pull down some serious numbers this year. Some of the fastes Subies last year were WRXs.

the mike
04-21-2005, 07:34 AM
There were also a LOT of bad drivers last year. I mean...STi's running 15's, please. :roll:

9 Ball
04-21-2005, 07:41 AM
And to think my friend was afraid to run his WRX because it "only" runs mid to high 12s. I was like "Dude, you'll be helping the STIs." ;) Most of the STIs couldn't get below 13s.

And yeah, I saw a couple of 15s, that's not cool. :mrgreen:

MuddyREX
04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
I think you'll see the same result this year.

Modified Evo > Modified STi

Stock STi > Stock Evo

krnhaze
04-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I say that it might be a close run from what i see around... Im expecting to see some potential... :finga: but i think the sti/wrx are gonna take it

the mike
04-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I doubt it. Not to sound like a jerk, but the STi's just aren't bringing it.
The boxer jsut doesn't have the same potential per dollar.

I would LOVE to see the STi's/WRX put up a better fight this year. It got to be repetative last year. :rolleyes:

9 Ball
04-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Plus there are much more STIs then EVOs. And even more WRXs. The EVO was outnumbered, had only been on the seen for a short time, and was pulling very impressive numbers.

This year I think the EVO will do very well, because its' owners have had even more time to "waste" their hard earned money on more performance mods. :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, I love the STI, but I think the EVO will represent big, and pull another win.

stichris
04-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Yeo!

9 Ball, nice meeting you briefly on Thursday.

I think EVOs have more ultimate realistic power potential; however, I think in the realm of a really fast street car, the STi might be better.

Chris

9 Ball
04-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey Chris, good to meet you too. :thumbup:

I figured somebody with an STI would respond to what I said earlier, and I had a feeling you would be browsing the threads sooner or later. :mrgreen:

I think it's a tough call and it depends on how you look at both engines. The STI has a 2.5 so in theory... eventually the STI should win... "in theory."

On the other hand, the EVO comes with a 2.0, however, the block is iron... and can withstand extreem forces... so "in theory" the EVO's engine can go even farther. Some of the worlds tuners have seen 700 and 800hp from the 4G63... however, that's another level all together.

Actually, bang for buck, my vote still goes to the WRX. It can be had at a very decent price, and with a few bucks, has almost equal potential to the STI/EVO realm.

9 Ball
04-23-2005, 05:44 PM
P.S. I'm also glad the "Domestic vs Import ish talking thread" is dead and we can talk about automobiles openly... like men. :rock:

...and women (Jess) ;)

TrboChicsRock
04-23-2005, 06:58 PM
...and women (Jess) ;)

:thumbup:

Matthew
04-23-2005, 07:29 PM
4G63>*

the mike
04-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I think the 2JZ and RB26DETT have some issues with that statement. :mrgreen:

Matthew
04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
I think the 2JZ and RB26DETT have some issues with that statement. :mrgreen:

Well yeah, they are jealous. :mrgreen:

stichris
04-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Bang for the buck, the STi wins. You can't buy a new wrx and get it to the level of the STi with the money you saved. Sure, you can get power there, but you can't do it right... trans, brakes, suspension, aero, interior, DCCD... need I go on?

It's not to say you can't make a great car out of a WRX, but if you do anything other than basic bolt-ons, the STi is a much better foundation.

In my opinion,

Chris

TrboChicsRock
04-23-2005, 09:35 PM
TriStateTuners.

Where the Sti / Evo debate never ends.

TROLL
04-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Going to this event last year eternally changed my opinion on the Evo... its not as fast out of the box but it was clear that they either respond much better to mods or the Evo owners are more serious tuners and better drivers than STi owners. The Evos dominated bigtime across the board... it was rare to see an STi win a race at any given time.
With all of that said, I think there are a lot of STi owners out there who are anxiously waiting to regain some respect and with the past year to work on that I think there will be some impressive things going on that day.
And to conclude, ....i just typed a whole paragraph on wrx vs. sti but erased it. lets just say that the WRX is an awesome value for what it is, and the STi is even moreso. Evos too :thumbup:
bryan
p.s. chris i want to take some on/offramps behind you and see if i can hang. if so, then let me be in the lead next time and we'll see what happen s :devil:

criz
04-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I cannot wait!

stichris
04-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Sounds good, Bryan!

seneca
04-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Ill hopefully be ready by August to give a couple evos a run for their money. I really hope there's no 15 second sti's giving the rest of us a bad name like last year. I didn't even want to drive my car out of the parking lot after that sorry excuse for a showing. Now that there are several rotated kits on the market and some proven bolt ons other than a green, hopefully there will be a couple 11 second sti's. who knows maybe someone will sponser the guys down in PR so they can afford to bring their low 10 second sti streetcar to etown.

Seneca

stichris
04-26-2005, 09:45 PM
I will definitely be there. My car should be pretty quick, with the catback and all. I hope to give a few heavily modified EVOs a good run.

criz
04-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I will definitely be there. My car should be pretty quick, with the catback and all. I hope to give a few heavily modified EVOs a good run.

that is the Tanabe Ti... that **** shaves off at least a half second off your time... maybe even mo' :afro:

9 Ball
04-27-2005, 02:51 PM
I think we can all agree to that indescribable "feeling" we have when we look out our second floor window, gaze into the driveway, and know we own a world class automobile. I've always wanted to be a member of the supercar world, and now... here we are. It's like a badge of honor... so be proud gentlemen. No mater where you go, you are recognized, you are respected... people know you're serious if you own one of these machines. We wanted to stand out, we wanted to be different... job well done gentlemen.

The EVO/STI shoot out last year enforced that feeling for me too. Despite a few 15 second STIs ;) I was very impressed with the level of performance from all cars. I was blown away by the EVOs, however, everyone was impressive. Think about it, four cylinder cars running 11 and 12 second quarter miles on average... that's crazy. A few years ago that was extremely rare, now it's common place. Who knows what the future will bring? The performance bar keeps moving higher.

If I didn't mention it already (I can't wait.) I think all of us will be there. If I have all of my installs finished before August, (and can get some decent times) I'll run mine as well.

It's like the pilgrimage to Mecca, if you own an EVO/STI/WRX, the journey is required.

criz
04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
well said... except the 15 second part ;)

9 Ball
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Ahh…

I’m looking at my calendar… August is almost here!!

I go on vacation to Atlanta the following day (August 21st), after the shoot out…

What a great way to kick off the start of my vacation, with an EVO vs. WRX/STI shoot out Saturday, August 20th!!! :mrgreen:

P.S. And Mike will be representing the “Pimp Wagon” this time around.

xEJ20x
07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I can't wait for this.
I went to the September one in E-town, this will prove to be better. :thumbup:

karl
08-02-2005, 10:27 PM
bump cause its only a few weeks away...whats up with a caravan?

S4toSTI
08-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I am down... start a new thread

seneca
08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Anyone actually participating from TST?

Orbit
08-06-2005, 12:55 PM
seems to me that. most of the sti's there last year have never raced before and had just bought there sti's. one of the fastest subys there last year was a wrx. no drama

WRX27
08-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Im most likely going with a freind of mine to watch. Anyone else going?

karl
08-09-2005, 03:23 PM
uh whats up with caravan??? its only like 10 days away!!!

S4toSTI
08-09-2005, 04:00 PM
uh whats up with caravan??? its only like 10 days away!!!
i am in lets set it up thats all you karl

Toretto
08-09-2005, 09:40 PM
seems to me that. most of the sti's there last year have never raced before and had just bought there sti's. one of the fastest subys there last year was a wrx. no drama

So all the Subaru drivers were inexperienced? and all the EVO owners were NHRA licensed drivers? Lamest excuse I've heard to date. Give it up. The real reason is simply the EVO is the better platform. Modified EVO hp >> modified sti hp. Flame on.

Orbit
08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
yes, that's right. anyone that cant do better then a 14.00 in an sti needs practice.

So all the Subaru drivers were inexperienced? and all the EVO owners were NHRA licensed drivers? Lamest excuse I've heard to date. Give it up. The real reason is simply the EVO is the better platform. Modified EVO hp >> modified sti hp. Flame on.

wgknestrick
08-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I remember last year barely being able to buy engine management for my STI. Every place had 5 month waiting periods. Demand was high and supply was limited at best. Everyone knows it's hard to make power without tuning hence the awful showing. STIs run like crap FYI without EM once you start modding.

Will STIs win? Well what is "win"? Will they have the most cars in the 11s, no. Will they have the fastest car, another probably not (but could be close). There are just too many top notch DSM/EVO shops over in NJ for them not to. Suby support around here is sparce. Out west it is a different story (Subies would lose there too though).

These shootouts are to push both camps to be better and do a good job forcing that. STI is at a severe disadvantage in cams, heads, block strength, and transmission (extra shift) to the 4g63-ed EVO. The Suby community is just now starting to realize this. I just wish we had the dominant STI over here during the GC8 (2.5RS style) era. Those were very tough to beat weighing under 2900lbs.

cravej
08-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I'll be on the autocross course at this event.

JasterM5
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
what do you have to do to participate?, Cuz I'd be down.

Orbit
08-10-2005, 06:15 PM
go there and give them $30 ... i really wanted to run, but i have to work.. really PO about it.

what do you have to do to participate?, Cuz I'd be down.

TehWagon
08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
should we make a seperate caravan thread, since it keeps getting gone over w/other discussion? i had proposed to meet by the turnpike entrance in florence for the jersey peeps- not really sure i want to be doing that super early though... any thoughts?

S4toSTI
08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
i have a caravan thread made http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4440
we should meet up along the way if you want.

TehWagon
08-15-2005, 11:25 AM
oh snap- we should sticky that crap so lazy people like me can find it!
thanks- will read and post.

xEJ20x
08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
My attendance to this is really up in the air at the moment.
I wont be doin the TST caravan up, but I prolly be up at E-town.
Ash and Mike know what I look like, so if they see me all you other TSTers better say hi.

TehWagon
08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
yea i'll keep an eye out for ya- mike's working that day tho.