05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
2000 S2000

so far i have put on
custom intake
DC header (on the way)

ok i was thinking about getting the AEM EMS and the HKS hi power exhaust

does the EMS require tuning?
how hard is the install?
what type of gains should i see from it?
price?
basicaly i know nothing about it and any insight would be awsome

LSHatch
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Don't get the HKS exhaust. It sounds great, but loses power.

The EMS requires tuning via someone who can tune it with a laptop. Jeff Evans should be able to do it on the east coast. It is a plug and play system, but make sure it has the base maps loaded onto it already. Look at www.horsepowerfreaks.com as they have some knowledge with the S2k and the EMS. They can give you a preprogrammed map.

For power, you can probably gain about 15whp from just the EMS. If you haven't ordered the DC header yet, I'll sell you mine when it comes off the car in about a week for much cheaper than retail.

The EMS is not something you just put in the car and it will work. If it doesn't at least have a base map, the car won't even start.

04 Turbo Spec
05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Don't get the HKS exhaust. It sounds great, but loses power.

The EMS requires tuning via someone who can tune it with a laptop. Jeff Evans should be able to do it on the east coast. It is a plug and play system, but make sure it has the base maps loaded onto it already. Look at www.horsepowerfreaks.com as they have some knowledge with the S2k and the EMS. They can give you a preprogrammed map.

For power, you can probably gain about 15whp from just the EMS. If you haven't ordered the DC header yet, I'll sell you mine when it comes off the car in about a week for much cheaper than retail.

The EMS is not something you just put in the car and it will work. If it doesn't at least have a base map, the car won't even start.

the header is already on its way

i know i would have to tune the ems but with a tuner ems what power am i looking at

what exhaust and power added would u recomend (no NOS)

LSHatch
05-02-2006, 10:17 PM
The EMS on a stock motor has picked up around 15whp.

Exhaust, go for something single. The T1R is a good system that isn't too expensive. If not, go for something from Spugen. That was my first exhaust and I loved it.

Power adder.....Well, like I told you, if you want to RR the car, you can't add anything because it will bump you to unlimited.

04 Turbo Spec
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
The EMS on a stock motor has picked up around 15whp.

Exhaust, go for something single. The T1R is a good system that isn't too expensive. If not, go for something from Spugen. That was my first exhaust and I loved it.

Power adder.....Well, like I told you, if you want to RR the car, you can't add anything because it will bump you to unlimited.

Well the car is primarily a street car

And I race through viper racing league in the "import" class so I won't get bumped, so I don't have to worry.

So what would u recomend

LSHatch
05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Cody, the owner of LoveFab road raced his 400+whp stock block turbo S2k many times. If you want big numbers, that's where to look. I'm running his 3" exhaust and will be going to his turbo kit soon.

I won't suggest a supercharger as I am very unimpressed by them. I've run faster with intake and exaust, than all the supercharged ones I've seen personally.

LSHatch
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I saw your post on S2ki.com

For reference from personal experience, I gained 1mph at the track with my DC header. So that crap about it not working, is just that... Crap.

Also, the OEM header is not perfect. It lacks.

04 Turbo Spec
05-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info, but I don't have the money to go f/i with this car. Plus I just wanted to keep the car n/a.

What about a VAFC is that compatable with the ems or is one or the other

Also what kinda power would I net form that

I don't mean to be playing 20 questions with u, I do appreciate the the help

LSHatch
05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
The VAFC is a piggyback ECU. It is not compatible with the EMS. If you want just some decent gains for cheap, an AFC isn't a bad investment. If you want full tuning capabilities, you have to go for the EMS.

The AFC will gain about 15whp with all bolt ons. So basically its making about 5-7whp on its own, and the other whp comes from the i/h/e finally being tuned.

I don't mind the questions. But, now having the EMS in my car, I'll never go to anything else.

04 Turbo Spec
05-03-2006, 09:31 PM
The VAFC is a piggyback ECU. It is not compatible with the EMS. If you want just some decent gains for cheap, an AFC isn't a bad investment. If you want full tuning capabilities, you have to go for the EMS.

The AFC will gain about 15whp with all bolt ons. So basically its making about 5-7whp on its own, and the other whp comes from the i/h/e finally being tuned.

I don't mind the questions. But, now having the EMS in my car, I'll never go to anything else.

if you dont mind me asking where did u get yours and how much did u pay?
and i think i remember reading that you can download pretuned maps and use those

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I got mine from www.af-performance.com They were a vendor here. I'm not sure if they still are.

I know the owner and I've bought many things from him.

I don't remember what I paid exactly, since I ordered like 2k from him then. I'll have to look it up.

highmilehatch
05-04-2006, 11:24 AM
What about a VAFC is that compatable with the ems or is one or the other

You bought a $1200-$1500 standalone. :confused:

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 12:04 PM
No he did not.

highmilehatch
05-04-2006, 12:18 PM
My bad. Read too fast.:screwy:

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I have the EMS, but he is only looking into it at the moment.

04 Turbo Spec
05-04-2006, 12:38 PM
if i were to buy the ems should i wait untill the car is further along with mods or i should get it now

basically i dont want to have/pay for something that i wont benifit from.

i dont want to be like stock sohc civic with 4.5 inch exhaust.
i hope u know what im trying to say

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I understand what you are saying. Is it beneficial to get it now? I don't think so. I'd wait until you get a decent exhaust, header, test pipe.

slavetothemuzic
05-04-2006, 01:00 PM
IMO, EMS is way overkill for your application.

You're talking about spending $1200+ to gain a few whp.

The EMS really shines for boosted applications. In your case, I would think a VAFC would be much more bang for the buck.

You'll only come up a few whp shy of the EMS, but at a mere fraction of the cost.

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
The EMS really shines for boosted applications. In your case, I would think a VAFC would be much more bang for the buck.

My car would hardly move without the EMS and it's not boosted.

The EMS destroys the AFC in all conditions. VAFC cars generally only gain a little more on peak horsepower. All EMS cars NA or boost, have much better midrange than an AFC, by a large difference.

slavetothemuzic
05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
My car would hardly move without the EMS and it's not boosted.

The EMS destroys the AFC in all conditions. VAFC cars generally only gain a little more on peak horsepower. All EMS cars NA or boost, have much better midrange than an AFC, by a large difference.
Without supporting mods, there's really not much to destroy.

Maybe it's a Honda thing. I know I wouldn't even consider blowing that kind of money on an EMS for a Mitsu or Nissan without some kind of boost applied. I'm definitely getting one at some point in the future, but that will be controlling an RB25.

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 02:24 PM
EMS picks up 15whp on a bone stock motor. The $2500 exhaust they sell for the S2000 doesn't pick that up. So, for $1400, it's a pretty good deal.

slavetothemuzic
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
EMS picks up 15whp on a bone stock motor.
Headers for a 3G Eclipse will do that, for $500.

I'm not, nor do I claim to be, familiar with Hondas. I just know I wouldn't be paying $1200+ for an EMS for an N/A car. That's nearly $100 per whp gain. Not a good ratio IMO. If he has the cash and it seems like a good deal to him though, it's his ride.

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 03:55 PM
You are talking about Apples to Oranges.

The S2000 hardly gains from any simple bolt on. So, the EMS is actually a good investment. A header will not pick up 15whp on the S2000. The only header that gains a good amount is $1300.

I'm very happy with my EMS on my N/A car. You don't need a turbo or supercharger to make the purchase of an EMS valid.

slavetothemuzic
05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
You don't need a turbo or supercharger to make the purchase of an EMS valid.
I know it's Apples/Oranges. Thus the disclaimer. I also didn't say you needed it. I just said I wouldn't do it for that much money for that small of a gain. YMMV. If the S2000 owner it ok with it, by all means, he should get it. It's definitely one of the best management solutions out there.

LSHatch
05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
It's either look into the EMS and some bolt ons or go for some kind of FI at $5000 plus.

I know an EMS/I/H/E/Gears S2k will walk a supercharged S2k.

04 Turbo Spec
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
well i have a intake and the header should be here any day now,
im making a test pipe and i have the money saved for an exhaust,

and since i got a $42,000 scholarship my dad said he would but me something for the car. he figures im saving him that much on college he could throw a some money

so i have supporting mods, its either ems or i was thinking cams

04 Turbo Spec
05-04-2006, 11:24 PM
It's either look into the EMS and some bolt ons or go for some kind of FI at $5000 plus.

I know an EMS/I/H/E/Gears S2k will walk a supercharged S2k.

yea but with the gears in the s your doing 55mph at 4500 rpm or something like that bad mpg and the road noise while cruising with an exhaust must suck

LSHatch
05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I've always had an exhaust on my car. Who cares? The car is loud as is with exhaust or not. Most exhausts for the S are quieter around the VTEC engagement point.

Also, with the EMS you can set what throttle position will turn on VTEC. I drive in the VTEC range all day without crossing over.

Don't bother with cams. Untuned, it will not make any power. At which point you need to buy the EMS anyways.

LSHatch
05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
What exhaust are you planning on running?

04 Turbo Spec
05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
i was still thinking of the HKS hi power

i dont like the look of a single tip

04 Turbo Spec
05-06-2006, 12:05 PM
I've always had an exhaust on my car. Who cares? The car is loud as is with exhaust or not. Most exhausts for the S are quieter around the VTEC engagement point.

Also, with the EMS you can set what throttle position will turn on VTEC. I drive in the VTEC range all day without crossing over.

Don't bother with cams. Untuned, it will not make any power. At which point you need to buy the EMS anyways.

im am not one to complain about loud exhausts my current car is unmuffled and un catted.

are u saying that even at 2500 rpm you are in vtec? i thought you could only lower it like 500 or so rpm

one more thing, i am planning on getting cams but now i guess ill get the ems befor them; but if i do would i have to get my car retuned for the cams?

LSHatch
05-06-2006, 01:10 PM
My VTEC is at 4500 now. I don't ever drive the car at 2500rpm. You can lower the VTEC as much as you want, it just all depends where it will make power. No sense in dropping it a ton if it doesn't make power.

Don't waste your money on cams. People haven't even gained 10whp from them. Then you will have to get retuned. For like $600 or so more, get the head built. There are some nice gains to be seen from that.

04 Turbo Spec
05-06-2006, 04:45 PM
My VTEC is at 4500 now. I don't ever drive the car at 2500rpm. You can lower the VTEC as much as you want, it just all depends where it will make power. No sense in dropping it a ton if it doesn't make power.

Don't waste your money on cams. People haven't even gained 10whp from them. Then you will have to get retuned. For like $600 or so more, get the head built. There are some nice gains to be seen from that.

so i think i am gunna buy the ems but do i need to get anything with it like injectors or something? and how hard was the install

LSHatch
05-06-2006, 08:44 PM
No injectors needed for a stock motor. Install is just plug and play.

Call up some local tuners and see if they can do the tuning for you. Basically, just take the EMS with you to the tuner and install it there.

04 Turbo Spec
05-07-2006, 01:58 AM
No injectors needed for a stock motor. Install is just plug and play.

Call up some local tuners and see if they can do the tuning for you. Basically, just take the EMS with you to the tuner and install it there.

ok sounds good now all i need it to buy the damn thing

thanks a lot you have been a big help.

im sure i will still have many questions for you

LSHatch
05-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Just let me know how it all goes.