PDA

View Full Version : Q for all you paint gurus out there

slavetothemuzic
04-30-2006, 11:30 AM
If I know that I'm planning to get a car that I haven't even purchased yet painted a color like electric blue, what would be the best colors to look for in a potential purchase?

I'm thinking I should avoid darker colors like black, and maybe red, but I could be way off base.

I'd just like to hear from someone who knows.

It may not matter...I may find a deal so good I have to jump on it, but if I end up having to choose between two, I want to know which is the better choice for the body work to come.

bastid
05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Depends on the make is my best guess. Most manufacturers use a single color primer, vs. others that use colored primers developed specifically for the top coat to provide a deeper/fuller color. I would say that for the most part, it won't matter what color it is before you respray it, the key being where you have it done and how well they prep the car. A good quality paint job will run anywhere $2000-3000 and even that won't be "OEM."

So what are you looking at purchasing? :)

teh DIRT
05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
No respray will ever be OEM. 20% of the cost of a car goes into paint. (dont quote me on that). If you do get it repainted make sure the shop warranties the paint for life. Also make sure they use a quality flex agent in the paint, otherwise it will crack in no time.

slavetothemuzic
05-01-2006, 12:17 PM
So what are you looking at purchasing? :)
240SX

Also make sure they use a quality flex agent in the paint, otherwise it will crack in no time.
That part I know about.

I'm just wanting to find out...if I have to choose between a silver one and a white one, is one better than the other for painting purposes, or does it not really matter?

BradC
05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
if you plan on respraying it a different color, either of those colors should be the same

slavetothemuzic
05-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Ok. So I need not worry about what color the existing paint is.

Good to know.