PDA

View Full Version : looking for a set of All-season tires

mostasteless
04-28-2006, 02:22 PM
For my girl's 91 Firebird GTA. She doesn't drive the car hard so cornering isn't a big issue but they need to have great wet/dry traction and although it's rare she may need to drive it home from class in light snow. She is on a budget and wants to keep the price down to around $100 a tire but if needed she will spend more. The two I was looking at were Kumho ECSTA ASX and Falken Ziex ZE-512, does anyone have any experience with these or could recommend something else that would fit the bill?
Tire size (245/50/16)

Thanks,
John

Keyan
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I just put Falken Ziex ZE512s on my car in a 205/40R17 size.
So far I've noticed they grip alot harder than my stock Michenlins. I had it in light rain, I didn't notice any major problems. BTW, Treadwear: 360 Temperature: A Traction: A

civicmatt
05-06-2006, 08:22 AM
I bought the Falkens as snow tires for a 2nd set of wheels. I love them! They have pretty high limits for all seasons and I think they do great in the rain. My friends knock them and say they are horrible in the wet, but mine were only $34 a piece online. You cannot go wrong with those.

HuffRex
05-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I just got my Falken Ziex 512's put on my new Rota rims...what a world of difference from the stock tires. I've had these before on my probe! I know the traction is excellent in rain!

sisforsurfing
05-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I've had Toyo Proxes4 on my WRX for about 10k miles and they've been great. All I could ask for in an all-season, I've never had any incidents in the rain, I've gone out in the snow (deep snow, too) countless times, and the dry traction is decent, VERY good for an all-season. I have no experience with the Falkens but these Toyo's aren't a bad option either, and I think they're around $100 a tire, maybe a little bit more.

Intercooled T
05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
John, I used to have the ZE-512's on my 91 Formula back in the day, GREAT tires IMHO, but they're pricey...if you want the best all-around tires, get teh BFGoodrich g-Force Sport's, they're $90/tire on tirerack. I used to use them before I got the ZE-512's which were like $180/tire back then lol :)

~Brian~
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
I've had Toyo Proxes4 on my WRX for about 10k miles and they've been great. All I could ask for in an all-season, I've never had any incidents in the rain, I've gone out in the snow (deep snow, too) countless times, and the dry traction is decent, VERY good for an all-season. I have no experience with the Falkens but these Toyo's aren't a bad option either, and I think they're around $100 a tire, maybe a little bit more.

I agree. Had the same tires and loved them! Great in the snow too.

philly_s14
06-11-2006, 02:41 AM
my gf has falken ziex 512's for her car. rain traction is pretty good.

FeeJ
06-11-2006, 02:57 PM
+1 on the falkens, I first got 502s as spare rims tires and had them on just the front at the track and that was a huge improvement at the track, so I went and got 512s all around and Im quite happy.

99SL2_Modder
06-11-2006, 03:07 PM
John, I used to have the ZE-512's on my 91 Formula back in the day, GREAT tires IMHO, but they're pricey...if you want the best all-around tires, get teh BFGoodrich g-Force Sport's, they're $90/tire on tirerack. I used to use them before I got the ZE-512's which were like $180/tire back then lol :)

512's are a ton cheaper than that now. Ranging like 70/tire.

Well, for me anyway, they're like 50ish. :p

99SL2_Modder
06-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh, and if anyone tells you that BFG Traction T/A's are great all seasons, punch them in the face.

They have really decent wet straightline traction and stopping, but cornering is almost nil (dry or wet), downpour traction (other than stopping) is very horrible, and I had them in the snow and I had to get out and switch it up and take the firebird with some random tires on it to school or my truck, just because I couldn't get any grip in my car.

And this is a FWD car we're talking about.

Intercooled T
06-11-2006, 06:57 PM
lol, no, they're not that cheap...

trying pricing a P255 50Z R16 tire, i WISH they were that cheap

92dxman
06-14-2006, 04:45 PM
This is a little offtopic but is a Z rated tire going to handle better and have better sidewalls than an H rated tire?

Intercooled T
06-14-2006, 08:08 PM
z-rated will handle better and be more quiet at high speeds (up to 136mph I believe z-rated tires are 'rated' at) daily driving you won't notice the difference. the sidewall, well, you'd have to look at both and see what you think is better...

mostasteless
07-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Sorry, completely forgot to post an update.

She ended up going with Proxes 4's. I was able to talk the guys at STS down from $149ea. to $107ea. (talk about a markup). I won't be able to drive the car until September so no reviews but she is very pleased with the way the car feels now so I guess thats all that matters.
Thanks