PDA

View Full Version : what should we do???

TalonKidd91
04-26-2006, 09:41 PM
so my best friend just bought a new car... it's a '91 talon TSI AWD and its bone stock. he wants to mod it but doesnt kno where he should start... he def wants to upgrade the turbo and put a biger one in the car. but he wants to do more then just that. any advise on wat wat he should do??

turbo4g63
04-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Turbo back exhaust, 16g turbo will do just fine,FMIC, intake, SAFC, injectors fuel pump, and clutch....def. mid to low 13 second car with tune

Silverfc88
04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Get all of the free mods out of the way. Test the voltage to the fuel pump and make sure your getting the proper power to it. Rewireing the pump is no problem and fairly simple.

Check your fluids. I went to swap out the transfer case and diff fluid and there was barely any fluid in the T-case.

Basically do your regular maintenance/tune up and do a compression check.

TalonKidd91
04-26-2006, 11:47 PM
yeah i was thinking 16g and a front mount, i was also think K&N filter kit. he's def doing a new clutch but not sure wat one .... SAFC??? sorry im not all that up on the lingo yet but im learning...

awdlaserbeam
04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Keep the car stock and drive around for a little bit to see what it needs first. Get it running perfect before modding.
Intake, MBC and exhaust would be a good start. I would then look into fuel management, then think about upgrading turbo/manifold.

BlackBulletTSi
04-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Depending on the amount of money you are looking for I would also probably recommend DSM Link

TalonKidd91
04-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Keep the car stock and drive around for a little bit to see what it needs first. Get it running perfect before modding.

thats wat i was thinking too....

TalonKidd91
04-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Depending on the amount of money you are looking for I would also probably recommend DSM Link

yeah he's got the money to mod it and not be cheap about it.

would it be a better idea to leave the 14b turbo in the car and just mod the motor itself like cams and port the throttle body and manifolds and stuff like that??? and then upgrade the turbo...

SUB2.5RS
04-27-2006, 12:20 AM
yeah driving it around stock would be your best bet. Just to see what it feels like stock.

awdlaserbeam
04-27-2006, 12:27 AM
would it be a better idea to leave the 14b turbo in the car and just mod the motor itself like cams and port the throttle body and manifolds and stuff like that??? and then upgrade the turbo...

No
Stock turbo isnt going to put out enough power to move those cams. There are better ways to spend that money.
DSMlink would be better than an AFC but that isnt something necesarry just yet.

Keep in mind what are your goals for the car to put the appropriate parts on.
If its going to be a daily driver i would tend to steer away from cams as long as possible.

TalonKidd91
04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
wat does the DSM LINK do??? i've hear of it but i've never asked about it .. if ya guys cant tell im new to the turbo'd world and the DSM world but im looking to learn alot about them. sorry for being annoying and asking all these question. thanks

awdlaserbeam
04-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Its a program used to tune your car. It is not quite a Stand alone system but offers all the features you will need to tune your car.
AFC's are ok, they are just a piggy back system, but you are limited to what you can do with it.

Link you can control timing, fuel, rev limiter, no lift shift, nitrous...

TalonKidd91
04-27-2006, 12:54 AM
wow i just learned some good Sh!t i didnt kno they could do all that

TehWagon
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Turbo back exhaust, 16g turbo will do just fine,FMIC, intake, SAFC, injectors fuel pump, and clutch....def. mid to low 13 second car with tune
i don't know much, but i would really think that with all the mods you listed, you're going to be quicker than mid 13s.

BlackBulletTSi
04-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Ash also depends on Driver :) but yea I would say mid 12s with all that specially AWD. I think as everyone else stated stay stock see how it runs and then start modding. You could go with a ported 2G manifold and a turbo back exhaust to get her breathing more. Then maybe go to the a K&N filter. Then from there start modding? There is actually a nice guide on dsmtuners.com you should also check out.

EvlEgl
04-27-2006, 09:17 AM

13's??!! I'm going for 12's on a simliar setup :lol:

thats a good start...Exhaust is a definate and a Boost controller.

EvlEgl
04-27-2006, 09:18 AM

13's??!! I'm going for 12's on a simliar setup :lol:

thats a good start...Exhaust is a definate and a Boost controller.

If you do a 16g turbo get an Evo316g.

TehWagon
04-27-2006, 09:19 AM
is there an echo in here? :lol:

EvlEgl
04-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Hahaha...i thought i edited it instead i reposted and added what i wanted to say...Shush you!!!

TalonKidd91
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
thanks for the help guys ill pass it along to him today. im glade to see that all of u's are so helpfull. my thinking was going the same was as u's but i thought i'd ask cuz i wasnt exactly sure...

EMX5636
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Check out the www.vfaq.com pages and then as BlackBullet says, go through the mod list on tuners, and from there, depends on your wallet... and gas prices.. haha,

Justin W