PDA

View Full Version : cylinder 1 misfire code-twice now?

joe tom
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
i have had two cels come on in the last three weeks, and both times it was for a cylinder 1 misfire. anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? here are my mods:
vf34
sti pinks
walbro 255 fuel pump
3 inch catless tbe
act street lite flywheel
k&n panel filter
snorkus delete
jdm sti tmic
before i start throwing parts at the car, i'd like to hear some thoughts. any time the cel comes on, its at startup, the car drives fine. it never misfires under acceleration (knock on wood). oh, and all of this started happening after i had my clutch and flywheel replaced (stock clutch/act flywheel)

thanks in advance,
joe

SinistiR
04-19-2006, 10:44 AM
You are getting the miss fire from the flywheel. It does not happen to all cars. The ECU monitors for miss fires by watching how fast the crankshaft spins. If one cylinder miss fires, obviously the crank will be rotating a little slower from that. Since the weight of the clutch and flywheel is different now, it is throwing the computer off. An EcuTek reflash can eliminate that issue.

S4toSTI
04-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Its nice to have subaru tuners on the site.

joe tom
04-19-2006, 11:48 AM
You are getting the miss fire from the flywheel. It does not happen to all cars. The ECU monitors for miss fires by watching how fast the crankshaft spins. If one cylinder miss fires, obviously the crank will be rotating a little slower from that. Since the weight of the clutch and flywheel is different now, it is throwing the computer off. An EcuTek reflash can eliminate that issue.

thanks for the input, would you suggest i change my plugs just as pm? the car has 34k on it w/original plugs/wires.

alachua
04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
thanks for the input, would you suggest i change my plugs just as pm? the car has 34k on it w/original plugs/wires.

definately. What engine management are you using? You can't change the wires on a WRX due to the Coil on plug design, but the stock plugs are almost certainly spent by now. You can run a step colder, but I don't think its necessary. Go with a set of stock heat range plugs. If you do go colder, I would plan on going back to the stock heat range for the winter.

-Cliff

S4toSTI
04-19-2006, 01:51 PM
i would assume cobb ap

joe tom
04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
definately. What engine management are you using? You can't change the wires on a WRX due to the Coil on plug design, but the stock plugs are almost certainly spent by now. You can run a step colder, but I don't think its necessary. Go with a set of stock heat range plugs. If you do go colder, I would plan on going back to the stock heat range for the winter.

-Cliff
unfortunately, i'm not sure what kind of tune the car previously had. i plan on doing the ap, but i haven't got around to getting one. i'm assuming that the car had some sort of reflash because it runs okay, but i'm sure there is more power waiting to be unleashed with the right tune.

when you say run colder, what do you mean by this? and will it have problems starting/running in cold weather?
thanks,
joe

alachua
04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
unfortunately, i'm not sure what kind of tune the car previously had. i plan on doing the ap, but i haven't got around to getting one. i'm assuming that the car had some sort of reflash because it runs okay, but i'm sure there is more power waiting to be unleashed with the right tune.

when you say run colder, what do you mean by this? and will it have problems starting/running in cold weather?
thanks,
joe

Most tuners reccomend moving to a one heat range colder spark plug when you have about 100 wheel HP more than stock. This will help stave off misfires under higher boost levals. The down side is that they may be more prone to misfiring and fouling in colder weather and if you run an extended time off boost due the combustion chamber temps not being high enough.

-Cliff