PDA

View Full Version : Car stays on. Car stays off.

c7scayman
05-12-2013, 08:34 PM
First of all, I already took it to 2 mechanics. They both said they need to see the problem happen to diagnose it even though I clearly explained it to them. I kept it with one mechanic to drive for a few days and nothing happened so they gave it back to me. I also checked Suzuki forums for common problems. No one knew what it was.

2006 Suzuki Reno Automatic.
1. Some times, I take the key out of the ignition. Car stays on. I have to put the key back in and turn it a few times to get the car to turn off. I turn the key back and forth for about 1 minute before it turns off.

2. Some times, I try to turn the car On and it is as if the battery is completely dead. No power at all. I turn the key a few more times and it starts like normal. Radio memory resets as if the battery was dead.

Problem 1 happens 5% of the time. It only happened 3 times in the past 2 months.
Problem 2 happens 20% of the time.

I suspect ignition switch is causing these two problems, which is not expensive and easy to replace myself. Before I buy it, does anyone here think it could be something else?

I'm driving up to Hamilton, New York next weekend and I'm worried it might not start at all or might not turn off at all depending on which symptom occurs first. I'm going to have 4 people with me in the car so I don't want to have any issues.

Thanks

jpalamar
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Replace the switch. I cant think of too many things it could be.

Who buys a Suzuki anyway?

Big_Jim
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Replace the switch. I cant think of too many things it could be.

Who buys a Suzuki anyway?

I gotta agree with jay. replace the ignition switch.

01 Trans-Am WS6
05-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Sounds like the ignition switch to me too

Antonio
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
agree, ignition switch. The radio resets sound a bit odd, but not out of the realm of possibility. Weird question. Do you have a second key for the car? If yes, try using that. If that also has the same issues it'll pretty much confirm the ignition switch

c7scayman
05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
agree, ignition switch. The radio resets sound a bit odd, but not out of the realm of possibility. Weird question. Do you have a second key for the car? If yes, try using that. If that also has the same issues it'll pretty much confirm the ignition switch

I do. But it would take a while before the issue occurs.

Thanks for your help everyone. I will go ahead and order an ignition switch. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Foolinaround
05-13-2013, 07:21 PM
It can't hurt to do the ignition switch; also check for any exposed wires and double check your grounds. If the radio resets when it finally does crank is it a slow crank at all?

c7scayman
05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
It can't hurt to do the ignition switch; also check for any exposed wires and double check your grounds. If the radio resets when it finally does crank is it a slow crank at all?

No it is not a slow crank.

Foolinaround
05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Switch;go from there.

AutobahnRacer
05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Switch;go from there.

I'd start with if there were any recalls.

c7scayman
05-22-2013, 03:17 PM
I'd start with if there were any recalls.

I checked. Only the Forenza had a recall for ignition switch.

Anyways, I am still waiting for the part to be shipped. $18.

Foolinaround
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Check TSB's as well if you have access.