PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Saturn Vue vibration

yellow2000S/R
03-23-2013, 03:17 PM
The neighbor has an issue with vibration in their Vue. I took it for a drive and it happens on corners, mainly when the suspension unloads, and even more noticeable with acceleration. Vibration isn't really felt in the steering wheel.

Info:
2002 Saturn Vue, V6, AWD
147,5xxx miles

Thinking possibly CV joints and/or worn suspension bushings.

Other:

Has had P0128 code for Thermostat for years... which means it also has stock spark plugs. He doesn't want to pay for the labor from a shop ($400+) to get it changed because you have to pull the intake manifold and some other stuff.

Uneven wear/cupping on inside shoulder of driver front tire.

Harder to turn right then left.

jpalamar
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Tell your neighbor cars don't just run forever and they have to actually do maintaince. I honestly wouldn't play the guessing game on a non maintained car. It needs a complete once over.

How did he have a code for years? Did it never get inspected?

yellow2000S/R
03-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Tell your neighbor cars don't just run forever and they have to actually do maintaince. I honestly wouldn't play the guessing game on a non maintained car. It needs a complete once over.

How did he have a code for years? Did it never get inspected?

The shop passes if it's only 1 code/not something important. Thermostat is a $15 part but $400+ in labor.

Same shop said the vibration is from an engine mount being 'disintegrated' but I put it up on stands and looked at the 2 on the underside front/rear of the trans and they look fine and the one on the passenger rail looks fine. One on the driver rail is under a bunch of stuff and can only see a small amount of it but it looks OK from what I see as well.

LOL

jpalamar
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
The shop passes if it's only 1 code/not something important. Thermostat is a $15 part but $400+ in labor.

Same shop said the vibration is from an engine mount being 'disintegrated' but I put it up on stands and looked at the 2 on the underside front/rear of the trans and they look fine and the one on the passenger rail looks fine. One on the driver rail is under a bunch of stuff and can only see a small amount of it but it looks OK from what I see as well.

LOL

You can test the mounts easily. Just have someone keep their foot on the brakes the whole time and then hit the gas. If then engine moves more then a little bit you likely have a bad mount somewhere.