PDA

View Full Version : Technical / Instructional Racing Books and Videos... post the best ones here

TROLL
04-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I just picked up a book that came highly recommended to me, its called "Going Faster! (Mastering the Art of Race Driving)" and its from The Skip Barber Racing School. I read some reviews on other books as well and some were pretty poor. So I wanted to let anyone interested in a more technical approach to road racing for novices up to more advanced drivers to check this out, and if anyone else has any other recommendations, here is a good place to post up about it...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0837602262.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,32,-59_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

TurboTagTeam
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I picked up racing from watching Best motoring and option videos all my life. And from playing Grand Turismo :mrgreen:

I know many professional race drivers that play video games often to improve their hand-eye reflexes.

I don't really know of any really good instructional video's though. I think they best way to improve driving is patience and lots of track time. I will check out your book though.

BlackBulletTSi
04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Skimmed through this thing last night at Trolls house. REALLY good looking book. I think I'm gonna get me a copy of it.

htheduck
04-11-2006, 03:53 AM
I recommend it...it's been a part of my library for some time now.
It makes a great gift as well.

alachua
04-19-2006, 06:26 PM
That was the book that helped get me into sports cars. My former roommate Hans (RIP) had it. He worked at copy max, so he had it taken apart, and wire bound for easier reading while in traffic. I used to read it when we lived together...made me learn heel/toe in my old pickup truck.

-Cliff

92dxman
04-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I would recommend Speed Secrets 1-3 by Ross Bentley. He is a professional road racer who has run in the 24 Hours of Daytona before.

Twin_Cam
04-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Secrets of Solo Racing, Henry Watts. The only book specifically written for autocross. It's excellent, if a little dated.

Raven18940
04-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm a self taught speed freak, none of that book learning.

Mr Tomtastic
04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I would recommend Speed Secrets 1-3 by Ross Bentley. He is a professional road racer who has run in the 24 Hours of Daytona before.

I'm reading Speed Secrets right now. Good book.

jspek
04-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I picked up racing from watching Best motoring and option videos all my life. And from playing Grand Turismo :mrgreen:

I know many professional race drivers that play video games often to improve their hand-eye reflexes.

I don't really know of any really good instructional video's though. I think they best way to improve driving is patience and lots of track time. I will check out your book though.
werd. i think gran turismo taught me a lot about racing and taking the proper line. and this...
http://www.drifting.com/Drift_Bible.jpg taught me how to drift in gt3/4. but also explained alot about drifitng i didnt understand. now i need to get a rwd car...

Orbit
04-30-2006, 03:08 AM
this is a good book for the wrx owner.
http://www.pitstop.net.au/pitstop/page/marques_subaru/11875.html

TROLL
08-14-2007, 01:26 PM
bump cause i brought Going Faster to work to read when I'm not busy.

DaveSTi
08-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Secrets of Solo Racing, Henry Watts. The only book specifically written for autocross. It's excellent, if a little dated.

+1

I also have and like Carroll Smiths Drive to Win

Fred Puhns How to Make Your Car Handle

and one other book that describes more about suspension parts, but I'm drawing a blank on the author.

Nick 95 6sp
08-15-2007, 03:38 PM
you guys are so wise since you're posting books about driving which is the most important element.

But on a more technical mechanical note, if you have turbos you should read:
"Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance)" by Corky Bell
and
"Street Turbocharging: Design, Fabrication, Installation, and Tuning of High-Performance Street Turbocharger Systems" by Mark Warner

Wiisass
08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Books are so boring, who wants to read stuff when you could be driving.

The only driving related book I have is Drive to Win and it came with all the other Carroll Smith books in an awesome package. I don't know, I've looked through it, haven't really read it.

All the books I read are a little more technical and get a lot deeper into why things are happening and what everything does. But their probably over the heads of most of the people on here. They're like reading textbooks, but I'm a suspension nerd, so it's more enjoyable to me than reading anything else.

BradC
08-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Some good ones are mentioned already...

I will second speed secrets 1-3, as well as Secrets of Solo Racing, Henry Watts

All the books I read are a little more technical and get a lot deeper into why things are happening and what everything does. But their probably over the heads of most of the people on here. They're like reading textbooks, but I'm a suspension nerd, so it's more enjoyable to me than reading anything else.

Post some titles...I read Electronics books, history, etc, etc...I would prolly like them...

Nors
08-16-2007, 09:58 AM

Hell, Ferando Alonso (F1 driver for those not in the motorsports loop) said he was practicing for Hungary on GT4 since he has never raced on the track before. This was when he was a rookie.

you guys are so wise since you're posting books about driving which is the most important element.

But on a more technical mechanical note, if you have turbos you should read:
"Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance)" by Corky Bell
and
"Street Turbocharging: Design, Fabrication, Installation, and Tuning of High-Performance Street Turbocharger Systems" by Mark Warner

Both of those books are awesome. I have read the latter of the two front to back numerous times. I have been meaning to pick up the first one, but might get trolls book instead.

DaveSTi
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Here's a great list with amazon links:
http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/books.html