PDA

View Full Version : Lasik Vision Correction experiences?

DPancoast
09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I was wondering if anyone on TST has personally or maybe has family members that have had lasik surgery done?

I know it has evolved rapidly over the years, but I am seriously considering it for either my own Xmas present, or when tax return time comes again in the spring.

All help is appreciated.

05Accent
09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
A buddy of mine got it done. He said its the best choice he has ever made! this was almost 3 years ago now.

slowZ
09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
My girlfriends dad had it done like around 10 yrs ago n loved it says it's the best thing he ever did but he thinks his eyes are starting to get a little worse so I don't no how long it last

OMGz Turbo
09-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Both my parents had it done.... a few years back and loved it. They havent had a single issue at all, im planning on doing it myself

Big_Jim
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Everyone i've spoken with thats had it done said its the best thing they've done.

im planning on doing it myself

Dont think its a DIY project.

OMGz Turbo
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Everyone i've spoken with thats had it done said its the best thing they've done.

Wish it was. LOL Save me $5k

davin
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I had PRK done through the military. PRK is mainly done for pilots and astronauts to withstand high G-forces. It is also for people who are really active that may get poked in the eye and not having your cornea flap open up. PRK is different because you have a laser that burns and reshapes your eye, can correct astigmatism, rather then having your cornea cut and corrected that way, though, your cornea never actually heals fully. Lasik has minimal recovery time whereas PRK has a 1.5 week recovery time. With my PRK, it felt like I had shampoo in my eyes and I could not see for those 1.5 weeks and the smell of burning flesh. They were literally herding cattle to get the surgery and there was a ticket line just like the deli since the actual surgery took 15 seconds per eye. It sucked and it was one of the most painful things I have ever done, but in hindsight, getting any sort of laser eye surgery is the best investment you can make and that is where I was going with all that. Whether it be the pain, the financial burden or whatever, nothing can beat waking up and not having to find your glasses.

My vision is 20/15 (yes, better than 20/20) after 7 years from the fact. However, one of my EOD buddies actually went blind from the surgery and was discharged shortly thereafter. There is a risk to it, just keep that in mind.

Rush
09-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I've had it. Got it done .. a year and three months ago. However, I didn't have the traditional LASIK done. I had something called EPI-LASIK. Slightly different procedure, same ultimate result, just with a longer healing time due to the slightly different procedure.

Post-surgery complaints:
- My eyes have been on the dry side since the surgery but considering they've always been dry, it's really nothing new and different. I just notice it more now when I wake up, but once I plop some eye drops in, I'm good to go. I've also had plugs put in my tear duct drainage holes and they've helped tremendously.
- My vision takes a second to 'catch up' when I go from focusing to something near to something far and vice versa. It's not like I'm waiting five minutes, but it's there and sometimes it gets me vaguely annoyed.

I also had an issue with my right eye not seeing as well as my left once my healing was complete. Since my healing time was longer (about six months), I waited about eight months before I decided I wanted to say something to my surgeon. I went back, saw him, and he said he'd be more than happy to do a touch up for me. Scheduled the surgery, went back in this past April for the touch up. And I am now happy to report that I have slightly worse than 20/15 vision in my left eye and slightly better than 20/15 vision in my right eye. :)

If you need a recommendation for a surgeon, mine was/is fantastic. He did that second surgery without any hesitation whatsoever just because he knew it would make me happy, and even after that surgery was done and my preliminary healing was finished, he said to me, "If you decide in a few months or six months or a year from now that your left eye isn't good enough anymore -- come back and I'll touch that one up too."

DPancoast
09-11-2012, 05:25 AM

LOL that's not what I meant... But that's hilarious. LASSSEEEEER BEAAAAMMM.

Keep the replies coming. I thank everyone so much for their input thus far. I will have to dig deeper and read up on the different types it seems. I was not aware there was more than one.

lifeinacave
09-11-2012, 08:26 AM
I work with top ophthalmologist, all come from Wills Eye Hospital. I work with cornea surgeons. They do all the different types of LASIK / PRK(epi-LASIK and different refractive surgeries along with corneal transplants and such. They do all the LASIK procedures at TLC in Plymouth Meeting. I can hook ya up with an evaluation to see if your a good candidate. I had LASIK done 6 years ago still 20/15 in both eyes! I'm at work now if ya want a quick call PM me. I work for the best sub specialized ophthalmic practice in the tri-state area www.oppdoctors.com #484-434-2700 ask for Gordon.