PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Struts

WRB04
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I just found out that you cannot use the KYB AGX's for 04 wrx's. I have Tein H - Tech springs and i really wanted to replace the stock struts. I dont have alot of cash and i really dont want to get coilovers. What can i do ?? :help:

TROLL
04-06-2006, 01:44 PM
you could get sti struts... they are better but i dont know by how much really. might be a good matchup for an overall well performing mild setup...

WRB04
04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
The stock sti struts or the pinks and aren't they pretty expensive?

WRX27
04-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Your lucky i found that article before you dropped some $ Charles.

TROLL
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
i believe the stock sti struts are the same as the spt struts, both of which are 'cherry blossom red' in color. i know there have been some slight variances between JDM and UDSM STi struts over the years, but any would do well, and they should cost less than new KYBs would...
search nasioc classsifieds or even www.jdmpartstx.com for them, or ask the vendors here who deal with importing parts.

WRB04
04-06-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks I will do some research on those struts

WRX27
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Anyone know anyone selling some SPT or STI struts new or used @ a good price? This would be for WRB04 and i may be interested @ a later date or vice versa.

MuddyREX
04-07-2006, 10:14 PM
i believe the stock sti struts are the same as the spt struts, both of which are 'cherry blossom red' in color. i know there have been some slight variances between JDM and UDSM STi struts over the years, but any would do well, and they should cost less than new KYBs would...
search nasioc classsifieds or even www.jdmpartstx.com for them, or ask the vendors here who deal with importing parts.

I found my STi suspension in one day on Nasioc. I paid $350 for struts/springs and tophats, so I'm sure you would pay a bit less for just the struts. Like Troll said, start there.

WRX27
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys!

WRB04
04-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I found my STi suspension in one day on Nasioc. I paid $350 for struts/springs and tophats, so I'm sure you would pay a bit less for just the struts. Like Troll said, start there.

Have you been really happy with them ? hows the ride quality appreciate any other feedback you have.

MuddyREX
04-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Have you been really happy with them ? hows the ride quality appreciate any other feedback you have.

Upgrading from stock wrx suspension with a tough 80K miles to 2004 STi suspension made a huge difference. A little bit bouncier on the daily commute, but nothing big. On one particular turn where stock I was comfortable at about 45mph, I feel comfortable at 60mph with the STi suspension. The confidence is amazing; not so much at lower speeds, but at higher speeds I could really notice the difference.

I didn't want to lower the car a whole lot, since I like to spend some time offroad, but I wanted something stiffer so the STi takeoffs were a no-brainer for me. I'm probably only about 1/2 inch lower than stock, but thats what I wanted. Overall, for under 400 bucks, I'm very happy.

Oh yeah, only 2004 STi stuff would fit my car. I don't know the actual differences, but they changed the rear suspension on the MY05 and up STi compared to the 04, and it would not fit my 02 wrx. It looks like you have an 04, so i'm not sure what you would need.

WRB04
04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Upgrading from stock wrx suspension with a tough 80K miles to 2004 STi suspension made a huge difference. A little bit bouncier on the daily commute, but nothing big. On one particular turn where stock I was comfortable at about 45mph, I feel comfortable at 60mph with the STi suspension. The confidence is amazing; not so much at lower speeds, but at higher speeds I could really notice the difference.

I didn't want to lower the car a whole lot, since I like to spend some time offroad, but I wanted something stiffer so the STi takeoffs were a no-brainer for me. I'm probably only about 1/2 inch lower than stock, but thats what I wanted. Overall, for under 400 bucks, I'm very happy.

Oh yeah, only 2004 STi stuff would fit my car. I don't know the actual differences, but they changed the rear suspension on the MY05 and up STi compared to the 04, and it would not fit my 02 wrx. It looks like you have an 04, so i'm not sure what you would need.

thats sounds good maybe i should get the springs and struts i have tein H springs now i really like them.

turbo4g63
04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
I just found out that you cannot use the KYB AGX's for 04 wrx's. I have Tein H - Tech springs and i really wanted to replace the stock struts. I dont have alot of cash and i really dont want to get coilovers. What can i do ?? :help:

one of my friends had an 04 wrx and he has agx's w/ rs-r ti2000 springs, who told you you couldn't get them for your car

WRX27
04-17-2006, 01:52 AM
I did. I read a couple of articles on other forums stating that no aftermarket struts were made for 2004 WRX's. Maybe they were wrong?

mostasteless
04-17-2006, 08:42 AM
The AGX's were not specifically made for the 04's but you can make them fit. the fronts will go on without a problem, for the rears you will have to pick up a few washers. There is slight difference on the 04 where the strut goes into the top hat making it so you can't tighten up the strut because you run out of threads before it is snug. If you add a few washers before you install the strut it resolves the problem.

mostasteless
04-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Here is a super high quality paint draqwing of the top of the 2 struts so you can see what I'm talking about ;)

http://www.kataclizm.com/pictures/strut.JPG

WRX27
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Sweet deal. Thanks for the information!