PDA

View Full Version : CF reviews

EIXVO
04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
I've thought about getting a carbon fiber hood by Seibon. However, Ive been reading that carbon fiber fades over time. Is there any long term reviews on carbon fiber exterior parts out there? 5-10 years obviously, but 6months - 2 years seems like a waste of money for something thats going to eventually look like crap.

It will be in the sun quite a bit...

03tarmacblack
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Why dont you waste some of that money where you can use it(*power*).

2point4DSM
04-12-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm getting my hood painted. I wasn't interested in the look as much as the weight savings. In fact, I hate the way the car looks with the carbon fiber hood.

TROLL
04-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Why dont you waste some of that money where you can use it(*power*).

why dont you accept that not everyone wants endless gobs of power?

jvanquish
04-12-2006, 07:40 AM
I've thought about getting a carbon fiber hood by Seibon. However, Ive been reading that carbon fiber fades over time. Is there any long term reviews on carbon fiber exterior parts out there? 5-10 years obviously, but 6months - 2 years seems like a waste of money for something thats going to eventually look like crap.

It will be in the sun quite a bit...

VIS and Seibon or any 'replica' hoods are basically 1 layer of carbon overlaying fiberglass core...
no potential weight saving if ur hood is made of aluminium from the factory (Z)... but it does drop crash standards as they clearly indicates these hoods are 'for off-road use only'... as there are no crumple zones or such safety standards that stock hoods have...
so...
thats some insider information for ya :thumbup:
hence why im not even considering something like it...
for the Z the Seibon/VIS hoods are actually heavier than stock lol :screwy: :screwy:

so...
is it worth a full facial construction after u r hood shoots through the windshield in a high speed crash?
ur call :wink:

if i were u i'd just get the Veilside hood...
in fiberglass...
it would be more expensive but at least u know its a legitimate hood

03tarmacblack
04-12-2006, 08:57 AM
why dont you accept that not everyone wants endless gobs of power?
lol I myself dont even want endless gobs of power(maybe if I could afford it), but I had to because he's got a bigger wing than me... but mines oem so :finga:

EIXVO
04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Lol, no your wing is 3inches bigger I measured my buddies evo wing.
Evo-11in
Mine-8in

The angle I took the picture at makes it look alot bigger

But yeah, that sucks about the no weight gain, However I really just wanted it for looks. Ive done so much performance **** that I like to throw on some rice now and then. I.E. wing, rims, etc.

EIXVO
04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Jlvanquish are you lookin to buy a Jl stealth box for the Z, or know anyone that might want one. ( with amp )

03tarmacblack
04-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Lol, no your wing is 3inches bigger I measured my buddies evo wing.
Evo-11in
Mine-8in

The angle I took the picture at makes it look alot bigger

But yeah, that sucks about the no weight gain, However I really just wanted it for looks. Ive done so much performance **** that I like to throw on some rice now and then. I.E. wing, rims, etc.
lol , I see 350z's around here all the time with 19's, and everytime they still catch my eye. Get some sick ass wheels, and then everything else wont matter.

jvanquish
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Jlvanquish are you lookin to buy a Jl stealth box for the Z, or know anyone that might want one. ( with amp )

im the last person u want to talk to for sound upgrades and show ideas lol
like i had my car half stripped for the longest time hahaha
and u want me to add more weight? im thinkin about driving naked
:banana:
o... ur wing is kind of big... im getting my nismo JDM spec wing installed today...
i think the nismo wing is perfect ... veilside is like gigantic ...
but different people flow differently lol
do u have nismo trunk shocks or can the trunk open itself?

EIXVO
04-12-2006, 12:32 PM
no, The trunk has to be held open now becaus ethe wing weights it down. What can I do about that, nismo trunk shocks you said?

jvanquish
04-12-2006, 12:38 PM
yeh get the nismo trunk shocks...
mine had to be held so i basically kept like a cardboard box in my trunk
but somehow...
it got stronger (lol) so now it somehow can withstand such force

WRXtoS4
04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
It is all about preference.

Seibon is a good hood company. I had mine for about a year and a half, and mine never faded....

IrishSTi
05-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I personally love the look of carbon fiber!