PDA

View Full Version : choosing coilovers

s3xrapt0r
03-06-2012, 09:17 PM
i got a 93 ford probe (mx6s fugly cousin)... as many protege owners know we can swap suspension parts with 99-03 proteges subframes (common when doing a kl swap),coilovers,lateral arms,sway bars all that jazz... just want some oppinions from the local mazda guys on what set of coilovers i should buy since my tax returns are coming

fortune auto
BC
yellowspeed
megan

wich ones would you go with for street/auto x use that are the most bang for the buck

right now im running tokico blues with sprint springs i liek them but i want MOAR low and camber adjustment.. i figure asking about coilovers on here would benefit me more since we have similar road conditions/use the same tracks/auto x courses ect

Got Insulin?
03-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Megan and BC are the same trash. Best bet would probably be KW V1s if they have your application, or a Koni Yellow/ spring combo.

boosted_94pgt
03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
mike look into dr2's search ebay for them. they are made from the same manufacture that makes the strut for ksport, but its just purple and a fraction of the cost.

Renegade_
03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
If your daily driving, just choose what color you want.

s3xrapt0r
03-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Megan and BC are the same trash. Best bet would probably be KW V1s if they have your application, or a Koni Yellow/ spring combo.
not trying to drop 2k on coils for a probe gt lol
the konis i would rock... very few people have ran them though.. i remember reading about someones set up ill have to dig that up... only problem is i want camber plates and damper adjustment :\

what about fortune ? im willing to spend up to 1k i plan to do autocross a few times this season nothing major

i heard good things about the d2s but heard horrible things about k sports... if there the same i guess ones just worse at quality control then the other

color means everythign when it comes to choosing suspension :mrgreen:

what about yellowspeed ? heard good things from a few members on mazdas 24/7 but the reviews were from about 3 years ago and no one followed up with how long they lasted lol

boosted_94pgt
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
like i said check out dr2. you can get a setup for 850 with camber and 36way damper adjustment. andy from florida was running a set on his mx3 and jaz is runnign a set on his pgt. i will be purchasing soem as soon as megaquirt is taken care of and tuned.

not to highjack btw when you comign this way

Got Insulin?
03-06-2012, 10:43 PM
The V1s are like $1200 for most applications, are correctly valved from the factory, and can go way low. The reality is that brands like Ksport, D2, Megan, BC, and even Tien are all the same junk in different colors. No $1000 CO is going to be truly "36 way" adjustable, and the damper adjustment will be poop. You don't have to spend big money to get the better end of the cheaper parts.

s3xrapt0r
03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
ahhh i found em ! i had no idea they made cheaper sets... i always kept seeing the V3s... not trying to say im cheap but im not ready to drop almost 2k on coilovers for a daily.. 1200 isnt bad though... considering there KW brand and only 300 more then the other brands mentioned... ramen noodles for an extra week after i get my tax returns and im set lol

Got Insulin?
03-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah, the V1s are the "budget" set of KWs, but you still get the stainless body (no rusting!) and the damping is preset from the factory to be aggressive enough to track, but friendly enough for the street.

boosted_94pgt
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
only bad thing about the kw v1s or v3s is they do not come with strut mounts from what i recall for our platform

s3xrapt0r
03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
i do have front camber plates... so what should be good enough... and i alm getting the megan rear arms... so ill have some adjustment in theback to a degree if i can never find a set of those damn cusco camber plates they sold so few sets of :\

boosted_94pgt
03-06-2012, 11:15 PM
go with king6fab for the trailing arms. they are made to order, have alot more thought put into them and are the same price

s3xrapt0r
03-06-2012, 11:17 PM
go with king6fab for the trailing arms. they are made to order, have alot more thought put into them and are the same price
there megans that are powdercoated black with diffrent color bushings ive seen both sets in person lol

boosted_94pgt
03-06-2012, 11:29 PM
they are not megans. everything kenny owns he makes himself. thats why when you order there is a 5 day turnaround.