PDA

View Full Version : 99SL2, I must avenge Pete's loss (slow car race of justice)

Jim
04-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Be prepared to run me at Atco or a less formal setting ...IF you DARE... DUN DUN DUN. :eek:

-Jim

LadyTSi
04-10-2005, 11:36 AM
^ yea with your "invisible WRX??"" lol j/k :lol:

Jim
04-10-2005, 11:39 AM
^ yea with your "invisible WRX??"" lol j/k :lol:

That would be a slaughter. Most likely because the WRX wouldn't show. (http://www.tristatetuners.com/viewtopic.php?t=1256)

-Jim

99SL2_Modder
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, if I race at atco, my car would be toast by the 60'.

Battle of the slow continues, but the question is, are you auto or manual?

SilverTurboRidin
04-10-2005, 01:09 PM
clint dont worry hes only got a neon too....

And besides he might win those fog/spot lights on the front are like 75+ HP :thumbup:

99SL2_Modder
04-10-2005, 01:40 PM
clint dont worry hes only got a neon too....

And besides he might win those fog/spot lights on the front are like 75+ HP :thumbup:

lol. Stock Neons have more powerful engines than stock Saturns, bro. Then again, so does pete's car.

But my TQ will rob me of a ton of power, hence why I'll only race auto's until I get my manual put in. Unless he doesn't downshift after 3 honks, I can't race him. It'd be a massacre. I think a 3cyl geo metro with a manual would spank me due to my TQ loss.

Blaise
04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
How about you install your manual transmission already? Excuses = Suck.

SilverBulletRL
04-12-2005, 07:00 PM
He will as soon as he gets a daily beater... I'm helping him w/ the install. The MP2 5 speed tranny is sitting in his garage

99SL2_Modder
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
He will as soon as he gets a daily beater... I'm helping him w/ the install. The MP2 5 speed tranny is sitting in his garage

LOL!

You make it sound easy.

1) Need money for a reliable beater
2) NEED AN LSD OR I WILL BLOW THE NEW TRANNY
3) Need clutch and pressure plate
4) Need shifter, cables, flywheel, slave and master, pedal, throwout, etc etc etc.

(items 2 through 4 should run me a total of 2500 or so)

TROLL
04-12-2005, 09:50 PM
for 2500 you could get a different car :finga:
bryan

Blaise
04-12-2005, 09:50 PM

LOL!

You make it sound easy.

4) Need shifter, cables, flywheel, slave and master, pedal, throwout, etc etc etc.

For a complete change in pace with my attitude towards you:

Would you like some help? I could pull you the entire #4 from a junkyard SL (I'm a member at a nice scrapyard). You'd have to tell me which particular car it has to be from and so forth, but I'm sure I can beat whatever online price you can get by miles since there would be no shipping.

My car used to be as slow as yours, I'd hate to see you spend $2500 to not be much faster. That being said, I think you can skip the LSD.

99SL2_Modder
04-12-2005, 10:16 PM

LOL!

You make it sound easy.

For a complete change in pace with my attitude towards you:

Would you like some help? I could pull you the entire #4 from a junkyard SL (I'm a member at a nice scrapyard). You'd have to tell me which particular car it has to be from and so forth, but I'm sure I can beat whatever online price you can get by miles since there would be no shipping.

My car used to be as slow as yours, I'd hate to see you spend $2500 to not be much faster. That being said, I think you can skip the LSD.

All shifters, cables, boots, etc etc would all be the same from all models, so that's not a problem. However, the dealership has a prebled master/slave setup that you can buy so I don't have to wait for the system to completely bleed itself out.

The LSD is essential, if you've ever seen a stock S-Series saturn, you can blow it apart at 15mph. The open diff is extremely weak, and I'm planning a very big turbo build on this engine (forged guts and all), so tire spinning + weak open diff = quick hole in bellhousing and anything 20 yards in front of me.

The LSD is more of tranny protection than to say "I have an LSD". If this car ends up not being street legal (which is more than likely, as I have to do a ton of electrical work to maybe fudge it past emissions), I'd need to burn off the water from waterboxes at the track. Can't do that on the stock diff, which is the main reason I can't drive down atco.

If you can get me rough prices and pulls and the like, I'll see if I can't come up with the money soon. The LSD is 1800, and I can slip that in easy. (it's technically not an LSD...just a quaife ATB)

Blaise
04-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Buy a Quaife if you must :)

Do you have an AIM name? We can discuss prices!

99SL2_Modder
04-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Buy a Quaife if you must :)

Do you have an AIM name? We can discuss prices!

Should be in your PM shortly.

Oh, here's my stock diff:

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/trans/022.jpg

That's what a BAD saturn diff looks like, before the pin is about to go (you can see the pin going right through the whole tranny). If you can't tell what's wrong in that picture, you just blew an entire tranny. :thumbup:

God GM engineers are fkin GENIUSES. :roll:

Blaise
04-12-2005, 10:34 PM
That's what a BAD saturn diff looks like, before the pin is about to go (you can see the pin going right through the whole tranny). If you can't tell what's wrong in that picture, you just blew an entire tranny. :thumbup:

God GM engineers are fkin GENIUSES. :roll:

GM designed the trans to be driven, not raced. Cut them some slack, look at the LSxs.

Are you sure you can't weld the pin or add tabs? Here's how I solved the problem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/omgsafediff.jpg

99SL2_Modder
04-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Nice job, but since GM uses rivets and not actual screws, it prevents you from doing that.

Dude, your diff looks tons more beefed up than mine stock too. Do you have a straight pin too?

And yeah, we can tig-weld it, but saturns hate locked diffs, and instead of our weak diffs blowing out, our baby helical plastic spiders go instead.

Kevin03WRX
04-13-2005, 09:15 PM
)

Ah yes..the joys of having a saturn...spin the tires just a tad and say buh bye to the diff. pin and hello to the typical large hole.....

Been there...seen that...I've found that irregardless the trans. are all mostly ****....the MP2 seems to be the best out of them all tho Saturn wise.....not sure how the ECOTEC motors are, not to mention the tranny they use with those...but maybe thatd be a future option..>ECOTEC swap?

BTW...my suggestion is also the Quaife Diff......I've never heard of anyone having any problems whatsoever with that one. If you must go cheap and want something...Ive heard of some people using a Phantom Grip dealie..kinda cheap..but your not 100% safe when it comes to nuking the thing.

As far as Turbos go for em, are you getting a kit or what?? Check with Saturn Motorsports and Twistec Performance Products. They at least know what they are doing, especially Twistec. I was sorta sponsored by them for a year or so....

Twistec: http://www.twistecproducts.com
Saturn Motorsports: http://www.saturnmotorsports.com

Kevin

99SL2_Modder
04-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Twistec has changed their name, and is continuing to screw people over.

Ecotec swap will cost me more than getting forged internals, as it needs extensive frame modification. The Ecotec's mounts are completely different than mine. It uses 1 TAM in roughly the same location, and 3 lower bones at the tranny to bolt the whole thing together. Also, the axels are a different size, so those F-series trannys (heavier duty, really really really hard to blow the diffs in em) won't fit correctly.

I'm planning on getting a quaife. Just found a deal that could net me one for 600 dollars less than SMS or SPS can, including the machined gear.

Phantom grip works...for awhile. After some heavy driving, you'll blow apart tons of stuff, because the unit not only uses the stock POS differential, but manages to starve the spiders of a lot of fluid, eventually causing a nice smooth wheel on your shafts. Mmm...PG goodness.

As far as turbo's, I'm starting with a kit from Alphatuning, but eventually tossing the piping and I/C for a better dual support setup to allow more efficient cooling of the charge and rad.

(no offense on the twistec thing though. I'm surprised you received your full kit and didn't get told that it'd be in next friday...for 2 years)

The reason the MP2 is so good is because of the extraordinarily long gears it has. Strict economy, but when coupled with a turbo and a lightweight car, awesome for low-end traction. The best choice for a high HP saturn application, whereas the mp3 would be best for nitrous/supercharged/NA apps up to 250whp.

Kevin03WRX
04-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Well good at least your informed and you know what your doing with this whole deal...You dont know how many ppl I saw in the Saturn world that just tossed a turbo kit on the car and blew the thing sky high...and then proceeded to sit there and wonder why? Lol

Ive been out of the loop for over 2 yrs now, so i figured id just give some insight from when I did know lol

Good luck man...

99SL2_Modder
04-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Well good at least your informed and you know what your doing with this whole deal...You dont know how many ppl I saw in the Saturn world that just tossed a turbo kit on the car and blew the thing sky high...and then proceeded to sit there and wonder why? Lol

Ive been out of the loop for over 2 yrs now, so i figured id just give some insight from when I did know lol

Good luck man...

:thumbup:

Thanks. And yeah, I bet they had some nice detonation with those 10psi, pre-turbo extra injector, 7psi on stock internals with no intercooler kits. 9.5 forged plastic pistons don't take kindly to that kind of stress. :p

272sWrx
04-14-2005, 08:52 AM
i think its time for a 91 tsi

99SL2_Modder
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM

I actually had the chance to buy a TSI. =(

I still regret the day I didn't buy that DSM...

Jim
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM

A friend of mine may be selling his 91 Talon AWD soon. We are fixing the suspension (it was curbed this winter) b4 he sells it.

-Jim

99SL2_Modder
04-17-2005, 06:38 PM

A friend of mine may be selling his 91 Talon AWD soon. We are fixing the suspension (it was curbed this winter) b4 he sells it.

-Jim

So what else is wrong with it?

UnderPoweredRS
04-17-2005, 07:26 PM
what isn't wrong with a DSM :-)