PDA

View Full Version : What AFR's do you shoot for when tuning?

Silverfc88
04-10-2005, 12:12 AM
When you go to tune what AFR's do you or your tuner try to meet?

I try to tune for high 10's but it usually ends up in the mid to low 11's, depending on the day of course.

seneca
04-10-2005, 09:37 PM
jerry, it really depends on the motor, the gas, the boost level and timing advance among other things. you also want to vary afr depending on where youre at in the rpm band and not ust a single value across the board.. some people like to tune rich on spoolup and induce a post cylinder combustion event preturbo to aid spool and others like myself use lean conditions instead. for subarus once on boost you want to hug 11:1 until peak torque which you should drop it down to 10.8:1 and then back to 11:1 out to redline. some tuners (jr from TT for ex) will tune to 12:1 but keep boost and timing inline with the higher afr. its debated over and over which is a better scenario to make power but the real answer is that it dpeends on the car. here's a link to a good thread over on nabisco where you might find some good fuel tuning pricinples you can apply to your own car.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9419025#post9419025

HTH
-Seneca

Silverfc88
04-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Nice link, thanks. Still new to the tuning game but I'm learning. Having the on board wideband helps. I just wish I had datalogging capabilities. I guess I just have to wait until Pocketlogger.com comes out with there new version for the FC that controls fuel and timing and records it to a palm pilot. I'm tired of tuning with the S-AFR, because you can only tune so much with it and limited to the size of injectors you can use. I wish I could afford going full EMS like Haltech or Microtech, maybe next year if I don't get another car.

97TSi
04-11-2005, 09:14 AM
I aim for about 11 to 11.5 on pump.
On race, I'll aim for ~12 or so.

In the end, I pay more attention to my timing curve than my AFR.