PDA

View Full Version : Stupid gas gauge

sesolcSTI
03-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Ive finally gotten a case of the piece of crap gas gauge. I filled up last night (pump clicked), then i got in and started it up. Gauge was about an 1/8 below the full line. So i get out and i try to put more gas into it (thinking it was the pump that was messed up) and i fill it til gas is literally dripping out. It was full beyond full, and still the gauge wont make it the whole way up to the full line. I know its nothing major, and its a common problem with subarus, but i hate it and it drives me friggin nuts! :mad:

Orbit
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
hehe, reminds me of when my gas guage wires got eatin by mice. lol . I thought I killed my engine.. haha was out of gas with a mouse nest on top of my tank.

RyanG
03-28-2006, 12:33 AM
have you recently put a new pump in? if so, the float may be hanging up on the slosh shield.

05CGMSTi
03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
How long did you watch the gauge before you started putting more gas in it? Subaru's have pretty slow fuel sending units, so it can take a min. for the gauge to register full after you fill it up. Another tip:never continue to put fuel in the tank after the pump has stopped. Because of the fuel vapor control system on the car, there needs to be an air gap in the tank for it to work properly. When you top off the tank fuel can get into the fuel vapor vent valve and damage it, triggering a CEL.

S4toSTI
03-28-2006, 11:22 AM
OK my gauge in my sti will never go to full no matter what i do. I fill the car up and it is at the dash under the full. I drive for alittle sometimes it goes up osmetimes it stays the same. I am gonna go in before my 36k warranty is up and have them fix it.

the mike
03-28-2006, 11:41 AM
My STi cluster, and Ash's will never go to "FULL". There is always about 1/8 before the top line.

Some cars will actually go past the line, not the STI's apparently.

S4toSTI
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Mine sometimes goes past the line or atleast it used to.

sesolcSTI
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Exactly, mine used to go past the full line all the time. And my gas needle would fly up to full when i filled up. No waiting needed. This is the first time it has happened, and i assume its gonna stay like this from now on (not going to F anymore). I dunno what the deal is, i guess im just gonna have to deal with it, haha. Or maybe get it checked out sometime down the road. My warranty is expired. (Car was built early 03, its a really early production STi, the dealership i bought it from said that it was a demo from SOA? Could i have one of the first?)

Anyhow, im not really gonna sweat it right now, unless it gets progressively worse.

JoeScooby
03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
buy a new car :mrgreen:

sesolcSTI
03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Joe! Don't be a bish, haha. So i filled up two days ago, and my gauge still hasnt gone down now. Granted i have only driven maybe 20 miles since the fill up. Maybe it wont start going down until the level in the tank catches up with the gauge needle? Thats my guess for now, ill find out after driving down to atco tonight.