PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but 12s last night.

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 08:26 AM
And as usual on a Friday night at Atco, it was crowded. Only had time for three passes. My first 2 passes (my first time running since the summer, and with this set-up) I ran a 12.7. This was my first time in my life hitting 12s and I was thinking, “Damn, I gotta get low 12s tonight!”

“Philly Boy” was like, “Yo man, you made 12s… what the hell’s wrong with you, be happy.” A friend of ours named Dan, was with us last night. He tuned my Utec back in the fall and was really itching to jump in the driver seat. So I thought, “Yeah sure.”

His first time launching my car on a drag strip and what does he do, he nails a 12.354 and managed to hammer a 1.777 60ft (lucky number 7.) Important to note, he said he miss-shifted 5th gear. This is the same guy that ran a 12.6 with a mail-in-flash on his STi… go figure. :bigeek: This is also with the stock Enkeis (I haven't switched back to the light weight SSRs yet.) And in all of this, I’ve got the fat Evo with the sunroof.

Oh well. I was still disappointed there was only time for three runs. Maybe next time I’ll do better. However, I guess looking on the bright side of things, there was nothing but 12s last night. Cheers - :partyman:

96Stang
03-25-2006, 08:35 AM
awesome man..congrats on the good times

VIA IIO
03-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Very Nice! Next step eleven point seven seven seven> peace <

D Money
03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Congrats Jeff. We all went to E-Town, slowevo ran 12.2, gregfeder ran 12.1, it was a slow night for the both of them. A couple other ppl ran like some of my friends turbo and na/swapped civics, good times out of those also.

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 10:13 AM
... slowevo ran 12.2, gregfeder ran 12.1, it was a slow night for the both of them.

Yeah... lol.

TehWagon
03-25-2006, 10:38 AM
haha i hear ya jeff- when you've got a number in your head, its hard to be happy hitting above that- but you know its still awesome!!! congrats :)

TalonTsi97
03-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Congrats, at least you know what the car can do since your buddy drove it, so now its just practice.
What mods come next?

evo8power
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
what modds to hit the low 12 w/your pal driving?

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Congrats, at least you know what the car can do since your buddy drove it, so now its just practice.
What mods come next?

255 tires for the SSRs within the next few weeks. There’s an Evo rally coming up I’ve gotta get ready for. Possibly a sway bar also. But after that, cosmetic stuff… ARC engine dress pieces, Samco hoses, JDM headlights, aftermarket front bumper/Evo IX front and rear bumper, etc.

I’m still on the fence about alcohol. I plan on keeping this car for the next several years until the Evo X and GT-R come out, so running very high boost with Alky until then is somewhat questionable.

In all likelihood, everything from this point on in the short term will be mainly cosmetic and suspension related. :cool:

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 11:11 AM
what modds to hit the low 12 w/your pal driving?

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=70 :wink:

Little G
03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
thats an awesome time

sleeperstyle
03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Congrats Jeff. We all went to E-Town, slowevo ran 12.2, gregfeder ran 12.1, it was a slow night for the both of them. A couple other ppl ran like some of my friends turbo and na/swapped civics, good times out of those also.

low 11 second setup huh? :rotfl: :rotfl: and define a "slow" night for awd too- was it hot out (obviously not) or was the humidity and density altitude high? im sure it wasn't a track prep issue. i just don't understand the meaning that's all.

9 ball- good run, now YOU need to get a low 12 out of the car now. maybe pick your friend's brain on launch rpms and shift strategies- he must be doing something right to best you by .4

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 02:48 PM
9 ball- good run, now YOU need to get a low 12 out of the car now. maybe pick your friend's brain on launch rpms and shift strategies- he must be doing something right to best you by .4

Yeah, we were joking around about that.

His 60ft was better and his launching technique is good. I was shifting at 7000 out of 1st and 2nd... he was doing so at 6000 and 6500, etc. (Had I ran for a third time I would've altered my shift points.)

He did the same thing with his STi and posted some crazy times. I just have to alter my footwork now. I did, however, post a higher trap then he did… I managed 111.76 to his 109.66. But again, only 2 runs for me…

... don't worry... 9 Ball will be back. :wink: :thumbup:

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 02:49 PM
low 11 second setup huh? :rotfl: :rotfl: and define a "slow" night for awd too- was it hot out (obviously not) or was the humidity and density altitude high? im sure it wasn't a track prep issue. i just don't understand the meaning that's all.

Actually I was only running my pump gas setup without methanol and I was getting fuel cut issues in 5th gear. My trap was 12mph lower than it should be. So yes, it was a slow night for me at the track. Otherwise 1.7 60fts on 400AA winter tires consistantly. 12.1 at 111mph... finishing the quarter rolling through the line without any gas... I'll take that on pump gas no meth.

awdlaserbeam
03-25-2006, 03:32 PM
And as usual on a Friday night at Atco, it was crowded. Only had time for three passes. :

what time did you get there that you only had 3 runs. I know they are crowded on fridays. I was planning on going as the gates open hoping to get a couple runs in and just leave when they start to fill up.

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 03:39 PM
what time did you get there that you only had 3 runs. I know they are crowded on fridays. I was planning on going as the gates open hoping to get a couple runs in and just leave when they start to fill up.

I got there at 6pm and got 6 runs in... it was awesome

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 03:44 PM

About 6:15-6:30 (admittedly that’s pushing it.)

I’ve gotten there in the past right when the gates open and usually can get 5-6 runs. Just get there early and you should be O.K.

D Money
03-25-2006, 03:45 PM
You also ran at E-town where as Jeff ran at atco. I believe you need to read a little more clearer Greg, take notice as awdlazerbeam is refering to atco in this instance.

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Did you leave early? I must have missed seeing you at Atco.

EDIT: Just saw your post, Dimitri. :wink:

347gtvert
03-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Actually I was only running my pump gas setup without methanol and I was getting fuel cut issues in 5th gear. My trap was 12mph lower than it should be. So yes, it was a slow night for me at the track. Otherwise 1.7 60fts on 400AA winter tires consistantly. 12.1 at 111mph... finishing the quarter rolling through the line without any gas... I'll take that on pump gas no meth.

Why are you shifting into 5th...

D Money
03-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Why are you shifting into 5th...
6spd. blah

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 03:52 PM
im sorry dimitri, ill be more descriptive next time... f ag

sleeperstyle
03-25-2006, 03:53 PM

thanks for the clarification

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
nice signature... heard you blew out your left knee while stuck in traffic the other night, all that clutching has to got to kill

D Money
03-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Both of you kids need to take this elsewhere. Now I not one to follow authority, but Jeff (9ball) is one of the coolest tuners out there, met him in person, and I feel out of respect his thread should not be hacked. Make a new thread or Sleeperstyle hit the DD thread, I am sure you guys can fight there.

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 04:14 PM
... Jeff (9ball) is one of the coolest tuners out there...

Well, thank you Sir.

I have my moments.

347gtvert
03-25-2006, 04:41 PM
9-Ball....In your sig, its says 497 torque...

cams and all, only a 12.3 out of it w/ another driver?

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 04:55 PM
9-Ball....In your sig, its says 497 torque...

cams and all, only a 12.3 out of it w/ another driver?

That's the max amount of torque the clutch is capable of holding. That's not the power level of the car.

I'm between 345-350whp. That's right on point for low 12s.

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 05:01 PM
I wish I had your gearing!

9 Ball
03-25-2006, 05:07 PM
“Philly Boy,” http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/member.php?u=440 has a version 4 transmission. That really helped out a lot and the gearing is just perfect… feels fantastic. :thumbup:

Sounds like you're thinking of new gear, perhaps? :cool:

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Ive been looking at dog boxes for awhile being that sti 6spds arent great for 1/4 mile stuff. It just seems that evos with less power than sti's are so much quicker due to do gearing. Hows your tranny holding up?

TNTramair
03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
I was only shifting at 5k but i could be shifting at 6500......

i was only running pump gas at low boost......

i had my heavey tires on.....

i let off 100 feet before the finish line and coasted on through.... <--WTF???

why cant people just say...hey, my car ran this and its all its capable of, period. save all the other crap for when you do have you "racing" tires on, or are on full boost and race gas. ill never understand it i guess...maybe its just me.

nice runs to the original poster.

sleeperstyle
03-25-2006, 07:31 PM
nice signature... heard you blew out your left knee while stuck in traffic the other night, all that clutching has to got to kill

:rotfl:.....

dogbox= :supz:

resisTm3
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
nice... congrats on the times

EVO8YOU
03-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Greg you definitely need some alky in your life otherwise when we meet up you will be admiring ver7 taillights :). 9 ball the trap shows good power, just need some more practice. Some alky would help ya too.

gregfeder
03-25-2006, 08:51 PM
I was only shifting at 5k but i could be shifting at 6500......

i was only running pump gas at low boost......

i had my heavey tires on.....

i let off 100 feet before the finish line and coasted on through.... <--WTF???

why cant people just say...hey, my car ran this and its all its capable of, period. save all the other crap for when you do have you "racing" tires on, or are on full boost and race gas. ill never understand it i guess...maybe its just me.

nice runs to the original poster.

Sorry to jack your thread 9 ball, but this guy's ignorance is incredible.

1) 400AA was referring to the compound and hardness of my tires. The number 400 is incredibly high compared to drag radials which are 50 or even less?

2) Because us EVOs and WRX's have whats called "turbos", there is a MAJOR difference in running on pump gas and race gas. A difference that can mean up to a full second in the quarter mile in some case depending on boost levels. So when someone lists their time, they must clarify what they were running to give an exact representation of the current settings.

3) I did not let off 100ft before the line, my car is having FUEL CUT issues and the rpms just fell to zero.

TNTramair you really need to read up before you open your mouth next time. You just sounded retarded tonight.

sleeperstyle
03-25-2006, 11:22 PM
that's all good and fine, i think he was just saying that it seemed like you had alot of excuses why you "only" ran 12.1, which i happen to think is impressive for a subaru.

why didn't you run racegas, get nicer tires, tune your fuel cut out BEFORE you went to the track etc...? that is my question- but hey get it all sorted out and post up when you guys are going to atco, im down.

9-ball needs the practice anyways :mrgreen:.

DocEwww
03-26-2006, 05:29 AM
****....wheres teh popcorn smiley. :(

9 Ball
03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Hows your tranny holding up?

The transmission is fine. I don’t work it over too much from a dead stop so I’m sure it’s got plenty of life. I admit, I’m more of a “Wangan” driver (if you keep track of the tuners in Japan you know what that means.):wink: I would very much like to get on a road circuit eventually (Lime Rock, Summit Point, etc) to test my nerve, and chase down a 911 Turbo. That was the goal when purchasing this car… that’s next on the list.

You know... there is enough horsepower on this website... we should all go. :wink:

TurboGTP
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Eh, I am hoping to get to the track on Friday or Sat. I broke my flex plate racing a new 911 :(.

Greg

TNTramair
03-26-2006, 07:21 PM
that's all good and fine, i think he was just saying that it seemed like you had alot of excuses why you "only" ran 12.1, which i happen to think is impressive for a subaru.

why didn't you run racegas, get nicer tires, tune your fuel cut out BEFORE you went to the track etc...? that is my question- but hey get it all sorted out and post up when you guys are going to atco, im down.

9-ball needs the practice anyways :mrgreen:.
thats exactly what i was saying....you guys run your cars in its present state and than make excuses as to why you ran what you ran....why not just be happy with what you got and leave it at that.

TNTramair
03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry to jack your thread 9 ball, but this guy's ignorance is incredible.

1) 400AA was referring to the compound and hardness of my tires. The number 400 is incredibly high compared to drag radials which are 50 or even less?

2) Because us EVOs and WRX's have whats called "turbos", there is a MAJOR difference in running on pump gas and race gas. A difference that can mean up to a full second in the quarter mile in some case depending on boost levels. So when someone lists their time, they must clarify what they were running to give an exact representation of the current settings.

3) I did not let off 100ft before the line, my car is having FUEL CUT issues and the rpms just fell to zero.

TNTramair you really need to read up before you open your mouth next time. You just sounded retarded tonight.
ignorant?? that wasnt ignorant...i was makin a comment...wasnt directed toward anyone specific. there was no name in my post. you wanna see ignorant, come on out one night and run that scooby.

lastly...i dont need to read up on anything....i was playin with turbo's when you were still fantasizing about screwing your 7th grade math teacher.

my challenge stands....

DanFromPA
03-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Jeff, I got your text message....
You did well on Friday night. U'r car was awesome. I love how it drove...

Regarding about the 1/4 mile time, your car has another .3 seconds to be shaved... I was very easy on shifting (no flat shifting or dumping the clutch).... I just didn't want to break anything since it wasn't my car... I wish I didn't miss the 5th gear... The trap would have been 111 or higher... I forgot that I could rode all out on 4th gear to finish the 1/4 mile track... I am still used to shifting around 6.8K......habit from the STI 6 speed.....

Anyhow, you car is much faster than before (I tuned with UTEC).... I wish we had some way to tune the car though... I could run more timing that night.... (Air was dense and atmosphere temperature was cool enough to bump up the WHP through the timing advance!)

It's always exciting to drive the EVO.... Again, thanks for letting me drive your car! I can not wait until my lease is over with the AUDI B7 A4 to get back into the Japanese AWD car again!!!

Dan from PA.

S4toSTI
03-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Do you have a 2.0t or a 3.2

DanFromPA
03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
My B7A4 has 2.0T engine...

Do you have a 2.0t or a 3.2

the mike
03-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Nice times Jeff. There is some more in the car, I know there is.

More boost will solve your problems.:mrgreen:

My crazy ass ran 12.6's with minimal mods and a lot of boost(24PSI). I figured it was only for 12 seconds, right?:wink:

When are you going down there next? We need more Tuesday night Atco meets, I can get there when the gates open on Tuesdays.

evospeed
03-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Danfrom PA - note....don't shift into 5th....EVER!! even the MR guys with a 6 speed don't shift into 5th until they are running 11's. it will slow your time....you'd rather hit the rev limit than shift!

also, 9ball....I would try shifting at a higher rpm, like 7,500. let those cams breath man! that's why you got 'em so use 'em! my time came down .3 just from using more of the higher power band! AND you got the hotside now too....MAN you are killing me!

1st you can let go at around 7K, but the others run through at about 7.5K and don't shift out of 4th....EVER! especially not in a 5 speed....

9 Ball
03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
I think the main thing I really needed was a better 60ft. I made a lousy 1.9 and 2.0 on my second attempt (did a minor bog on the second attempt.) Dan nailed a 1.7 60ft and that, I think, was the real deciding factor getting into low 12s. I was around 7400 in 4th when crossing the line… I knew shifting to 5th would hurt my time. I was averaging around 7000 to 7200 shifts (I’ll try some different things next time.) But that was Dan’s first time running my car on a track so I guess it’s an easy mistake… plus coming from a Subie also. I’m pretty sure there’s more room to get a 12.2 or a 12.1… etc. :cool:

Glad you made it on here Dan. :thumbup:

Choi and I will probably be on the prowl this weekend… I’ll let you know.