PDA

View Full Version : In regards to the off topic b/s

StreetEG
03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Im not sure what got started, but i do know a bunch of us had our posts knocked down because of relavance and off-topic not being a part of tst...and heres what i have to say about that.

TST cant be a totally technical site. Not every meet can be a "trolls bakery" where it directly relates to tuning. Not every post can be about some aspect of tuning because this is a GENERAL site. It brings tuners that normally would never meet with each other to a place where we can learn/gain respect for rides we normally wouldnt. AKA domestic+imports on the same forum.

This is why you see a limited amount of traffic on the "tech" forums, because 90% of the people who are on here are subscribed to different forums specific to their ride and have 10x more information.

Getting rid of this "off topic B/s" or "TST is not a chat room" defeats the ENTIRE purpose of having a site like this. Why as a moderator car AT ALL what is talked about among tuners who are becoming friends?

/Rant

S4toSTI
03-24-2006, 01:03 PM
If there was an actual chat room on tst would that change your outlook on everything.

teh DIRT
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
hmm. you make a good point.

Its a perplexing dilema. While I dont mind some offtopic stuff here and there, creating threads like the one I just locked is completely unneccesary. It is the amount of OT stuff that is bothering, not the OT stuff in general

sisforsurfing
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I think this is the third time (at least) something like this has happened. It's a cycle, people come in and out of the site because of this topic. I'm not going to comment on it further, but trust the people that have seen it happen before, it's not worth worrying about.
There has been an inordinate amount of b/s I haven't felt like reading on here recently though, so I just don't.

teh DIRT
03-24-2006, 01:09 PM
I think this is the third time (at least) something like this has happened. It's a cycle, people come in and out of the site because of this topic. I'm not going to comment on it further, but trust the people that have seen it happen before, it's not worth worrying about.
There has been an inordinate amount of b/s I haven't felt like reading on here recently though, so I just don't.

ahah yeah very true. tst has a menstrual (sp) perioid where everyone gets all moody and bitch. ahah

WRXD
03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
I agree that there is no need for a O/T forum in here. On most sites that have an O/T there are little mini-elitist clubs formed that basically spend all their time post whoring and ripping on new people, grammar mistakes, and all that BS. It is just not needed. On the same page there are TONS of threads on here that I think should have been locked before the 2nd page even finished, namely the 'Hi Im Jess' thread that was basically dozens of pages of 'wheres your body pics, are you fat?'. Stuff like that is just rediculous. I come here to meet people who are interested in tuning, not harrass young women into posting up pictures.

I love TST because it is different than all of the other forums that I frequent. If we keep things going as they are, its just going to turn into one of those 'other' forums. Also I think we need to start having some TST only meets. Organize the meet on TST and of course others are welcome by word of mouth, but posting up our meets on 10 different sites ruins our individuality. Plus I think it scares some newer people into not coming.

StreetEG
03-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I doubt there are cliques forming among the states, and if there are I am pretty sure it has something to do with it being local groups of tuners who are more then just online e-thugs.

grofry
03-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree that there is no need for a O/T forum in here. On most sites that have an O/T there are little mini-elitist clubs formed that basically spend all their time post whoring and ripping on new people, grammar mistakes, and all that BS. It is just not needed. On the same page there are TONS of threads on here that I think should have been locked before the 2nd page even finished, namely the 'Hi Im Jess' thread that was basically dozens of pages of 'wheres your body pics, are you fat?'. Stuff like that is just rediculous. I come here to meet people who are interested in tuning, not harrass young women into posting up pictures.

I love TST because it is different than all of the other forums that I frequent. If we keep things going as they are, its just going to turn into one of those 'other' forums. Also I think we need to start having some TST only meets. Organize the meet on TST and of course others are welcome by word of mouth, but posting up our meets on 10 different sites ruins our individuality. Plus I think it scares some newer people into not coming.

Very well said, i couldnt have said it better

2point4DSM
03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Im not sure what got started, but i do know a bunch of us had our posts knocked down because of relavance and off-topic not being a part of tst...

Problem is only thing people cared about, it seems, was their post count and not necessarily the content or quality of their post.

TST cant be a totally technical site. Not every meet can be a "trolls bakery" where it directly relates to tuning. Not every post can be about some aspect of tuning because this is a GENERAL site. It brings tuners that normally would never meet with each other to a place where we can learn/gain respect for rides we normally wouldnt. AKA domestic+imports on the same forum.

This has been discussed several times already. And I agree with what you have to say. Bringing in a whole different group on people together makes for some interesting cars, races and stories.

This is why you see a limited amount of traffic on the "tech" forums, because 90% of the people who are on here are subscribed to different forums specific to their ride and have 10x more information.

The point is not to completely make this a tech oriented forum but to increase the amount of tech oriented talk. 50/50 tech and off-topic would be cool, albeit, wishful thinking.

OutOfStock
03-24-2006, 01:39 PM

I agree.....

CarbonIS
03-24-2006, 04:02 PM

i'm not defending anyone or anything but sometimes threads are just fun.
and that statement is not true....i was on that thread for a few days cuz it
was fun and saw minimal inquiring about pics. if it was there, i skipped over
it. I just had fun making jokes and talking with people that we're friends with
on the site. I could care less about my post count as much as the next
person, but I just think that limiting post counts is an arbitrary and
unnecessary thing because it basically means nothing. Its not about a status
thing or a who's been here longer and has more clout or friends on the site,
that sort of thing either, that's what the join date is for. If there is OT stuff on
the site u don't feel like reading, don't read it. It's not that difficult.

TROLL
03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
if you're upset because your post count is lower, dont be because i dont think anyone really cares.
i'm not trying to increase the amount of tech posts, i'm trying to decrease the amount of less-than-purposeful posts if you want to put it that way. every post should at least have a purpose and it is not for a small group of people to go back and forth 10 times in 20 minutes... that is what PMs, IMs, or chat rooms are for.
its quality, not quantity... and we need to keep the amount of fluff under control so the other more impacting threads dont get lost in the shuffle.
oh and i'm also moving this to TST Forum Info and Feedback since that is where it belongs... which should be a nice big +2 on your post count.

sesolcSTI
03-24-2006, 06:00 PM
its quality, not quantity

I think that just about somes up the reasoning IMO. Just my .02

Crzyguy972
03-24-2006, 07:06 PM
i think naming the offtopic thread offtopic is giving peopel the worng idea. people arep orb thinking they can bost about anything even if its absoluty retarded. so i think we should just rename it as maybe "lounge" thats what it is on mazda6club.com and poeple dont post the really off topic stuff.

WRX27
03-25-2006, 02:49 AM
I have seen it called "hangout" or "black hole" as well on different forums - same idea

BlackBulletTSi
03-25-2006, 03:14 AM
I'm gonna have to say though the Hi I'm Jess thread she said post here to talk to me cause she had no other means. It made for an interesting discussion between many people. Yes basically a chat room but since those means aren't available yet I don't think it was a big deal. **NOTE: These are my views as a user of the board and in no way affiliation with the moderation of this board**

JessDUB
03-25-2006, 12:01 PM
sorry guyssss... i didnt mean to start trouble.

blewbyU
03-25-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't understand why it matters if people wanna read it then they do if they don't then they don't, and it can't really cause more important things to get lost because if thats happening then there really not that important, and if it is then just make it a sticky....just my .02

TehWagon
03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
true, but its more work for the moderators to read all that fluff...

let's just all have a group hug, because even though input does count, the forum is what it is, and most of us like it, get what we want/need out of it, and ignore what we feel needs ignoring.

we go thru these little growing pains every once in a while, or as pete referred to it, pms :lol: but enjoy it for what its good for and try not to let the fleeting idiotic posters piss ya off too much!

they usually don't stay long :wink:

LSHatch
03-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Make posts in off topic not count towards your post count.

Honda Tech does it and it works very well.

I'm not getting into this one.

TehWagon
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Make posts in off topic not count towards your post count.

i believe that is what has already been done.

LSHatch
03-25-2006, 05:41 PM
i believe that is what has already been done.

Well then, forget that I said it.

StreetEG
03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
sorry guyssss... i didnt mean to start trouble.

jerk :lol: