PDA

View Full Version : performance upgrades. (seeking advice)

Jourdan
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
2006 WRXtr... ok, listen. im just tossing this out into the wind. POSSIBLE mods in the future.
tell me no. or extra things i would need to do to make these things possible.
-i have a 10lb. tank sitting in my room, its a full nitrous kit. i figured maybe toss it in the car and spray no more than a 30 shot. is this a bad idea ? . can the wrx not handle it??? i know if i were ever to do these mods. i would DEFINITELY GET MY CAR TUNED.
-a full catback exhaust system is a good possibilty. + d.p....reccomendations?
-that cobb accessport thing sounds like a good idea.
-upgrade my injectors? to accomadate for the small shot if it was done?(maybe walbro255 fuel pump too if needed? i dont think for that small of a shot i would need it. but then again i could be wrong.)
- and of course a b.o.v. ......in the future properly tuned. reccomendations?

again, im just tossing this out there. i want to know if my thoughts are idiotic. especially about the nitrous. i know nitrous can damage a motor, but that really depends on the condition of the motor and the shot. i know turboed cars handle nitrous better and the gains are much better than that of the naturally aspirated motors. but i am new to spraying in a subaru. i just want to know what people think/know.
sorry if i wasted anyone's time with reading this new thread. i just want to do some minor work to my new car. not right now, im in no hurry, but in the future. and these are the things i cant get out of my head. i figured i would ask you guys first. I don't want to make mistakes.

thanks for any help/feedback.

ScoobyNubieToo!
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Here ya go:
NO NITROUS! unless you're using an Intercooler Chiller
1. Get Cobb AccessPort
2. Get a full turbo back exhaust and an up pipe
3. Upgrade fuel pump, larger turbo and mod the stock injectors
4. Supension upgrades like strut + sway bars
5. upgraded brakes
6. block upgrades

Things like BOV and intakes are for s***s and giggles....actually keep your eyes open....the SPT intake will be hitting the market soon.

teh DIRT
03-23-2006, 10:47 PM
dont get a bov, unless you are really raising the boost alot. The stock bypass valve works fine. The only use for a bov is for the sound....and thats beat.

Nitrous, honestly i havent known anyone to use it in a wrx. Id definitly get a tune for it, add some fuel. Id also get an air fuel ratio meter (wb02) to keep tabs on it all.

The cobb accessport doesnt have a nitrous tune unless you get protuned..thats more cash

My suggestion:
Ditch the NOs, its pointless. 30hp can be gained other ways. A full catless exhaust will give you around 20 hp. Its a great first mod powerwise. I suggest you go with the cobb staged upgrades. A wrx w/ a VF34 full exhaust, tune, and a intercooler will be tons more power than a spray.

Jourdan
03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
ok. this might be a dumb question. but with the intercooler spraying....would it be possible in any way to run it in to the tmic.....kind of like how the new sti comes with that little water sprayer directly into the intercooler to help cool everything down?>
i seen on redline t.v. a guy tuning sprayed the nitrous directly at the intercooler on a evo. right before they hit the dyno, i seen him do that. i dont know if that is basically the whole point of the whole n'tercooler set up thing. except the question is would i be able to do something like that with a simple spray into the intercooler?.......somehow, someway. other than that i might keep it for ****s and giggles. or sell it if i can make some money out of it.(good possibily/smart..i can use that money to do a smart upgrade.) same thing with the b.o.v.....just growing up hearing turbos, i think its somewhat natural only to want to have that sound on your first turboed car. its just the effect.....i wouldnt consider it performance until yes, more boost. more or less a cosmetic waste of money.

also..i keep hearing full catless exhaust...what about straight pipes? would a catless exhaust pass emissions? emissions are erelavant to me b/c i know people. but just in case, i would like to be safe. and also i have the whole warranty thing right now to worry about......so, it might be the spt exhaust package first. to stay under warranty. any suggestionson the spt products?

WKderF
03-24-2006, 02:27 AM
setting up your nitrous system to spray your intercooler is actually an easy setup. all you need is a "halo" or spray bar to mount to your intercooler & i just happen to have a spare spray bar that should fit your I/C nicely. to convert the system, just ditch the fuel solenoid & use the N2O solenoid. run the lines from the solenoid to your intercooler & connect it to the spray bar. its all very straight forward. pm me if you have questions. I have built & installed several of these setups from nitrous kits & can help you along the way.

9 Ball
03-24-2006, 02:45 AM
I'd leave out the nitrous. There are several guys on here (and around town) that are making BIG power without nitrous.

Smokescreen
03-24-2006, 02:00 PM
also..i keep hearing full catless exhaust...what about straight pipes? would a catless exhaust pass emissions? and also i have the whole warranty thing right now to worry about......so, it might be the spt exhaust package first. to stay under warranty. any suggestionson the spt products?
A full catless exhaust will eliminate your catalytic converters so you will not pass emissions. The car will throw a code that says the converters are malfunctioning or something. If you know people, this isn't a problem. Don't forget the wrx has 3. There is a cat in the uppipe and 2 in the downpipe.

A Cobb Stg. 2 puts down around 230whp give or take.

The easiest thing you can do if you want to stay under warranty is to leave it stock.

ScoobyNubieToo!
03-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Don't forget the wrx has 3. There is a cat in the uppipe and 2 in the downpipe.
Ahhh....but he has an 06...the 06 WRX does NOT have a catted uppipe.

ScoobyNubieToo!
03-24-2006, 02:26 PM
but just in case, i would like to be safe. and also i have the whole warranty thing right now to worry about......so, it might be the spt exhaust package first. to stay under warranty. any suggestionson the spt products?
I've heard stories of dealers denying claims on certain parts for the dumbest reasons. I would spend some time on here researching your dealers attitude about modding. Some members have found certain dealerships to be quite lenient about mods whereas others are not. It's not a bad idea to talk to the sevice manager and find out what his feelings are regarding certain mods as well.

dubrx
03-24-2006, 04:27 PM
same thing with the b.o.v.....just growing up hearing turbos, i think its somewhat natural only to want to have that sound on your first turboed car. its just the effect.....i wouldnt consider it performance until yes, more boost. more or less a cosmetic waste of money.

If you like the whoosh sound get a short ram intake with the properly sized MAF sensor housing like a perrin or cobb. Not as loud as a BOV but it does the trick.

Smokescreen
03-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Ahhh....but he has an 06...the 06 WRX does NOT have a catted uppipe.
Oops. I missed that.
I've heard stories of dealers denying claims on certain parts for the dumbest reasons. I would spend some time on here researching your dealers attitude about modding.
Yeah, it is pretty much up to the dealer. I've heard the same stories.

WRX27
03-25-2006, 02:44 AM
My dealer had no problems with my aftermarket catless uppipe, bov, and cat-back exhaust. There all different tho. Def. check it out.

TehWagon
03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
+1 to chris's (sn2's) list, uppipe before turboback though, and also to the short ram instead of the bov if you need the whoosh.

i've always been against nitrous. to me its ilike pressing 'fast forward' on the life of your engine/trans.

good luck!

D Money
03-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Some kid on Nasioc just ran a 13.9 in a bone stock TR. They have alot of potential, but what I say to get is: Turback exhaust, fp-green, alky, fmic, avcr, U-Tec, and it's game over. lol It may run you like 8 grand but, who cares, you'll be fast as hell.

ScoobyNubieToo!
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
uppipe before turboback though,

good luck!You're just saying that 'cause you wanna install another up pipe.... :mrgreen:

TehWagon
03-25-2006, 05:18 PM
wrooong!!! i still view them as a PITA! (although you know if he gets one and wants it installed i'm totally down!) --with practice comes perfection!