PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Solara SLE

Pages : [1] 2

Zaior
10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Before I get into anything, yes, my car is an automatic. I can drive stick, but I just never seem to find a car that is stick that i can afford/like, that hasnt been beaten to ****.

Alright so I just created this account yesterday, and I am from Springfield, PA although I do drive around a lot, so feel free to tell me whether you have spotted me or not!

I know most people would be against modding up an automatic car, but i don't really care, since all i seem to be able to focus on anymore is cars, and i cant afford a new one at the current time, so I am going to mod this one.

So far I have:
Bought the Car
Tinted the Windows
Gotten a used Kicker L7
Debadged it yesterday

Okay so here is what I am going to do
Wheels/Tires for Xmas
Catback hopefully this weekend, I get paid tomorrow.
Head Unit
New Taillights (They make the 3 Circle Scion-like Taillights for it)
Lower it 1.5 inches
New Spark Plugs
Replace Speakers
And after I graduate this year, I still have to decide whether I am going to supercharge this car, or start saving for a new one. Depends how far along I am.
There are plenty other mods I want to do/am going to do, this is just all i can think of off the top of my head.

This is all as of Today Wednesday October 5th, 2011.

Here are a few pictures of it before i debadged it. Doesnt really make a difference in the pictures though.

I plan to be very active on here updating this every time that i do something new to my car.

I would love to have some people comment and tell me what they think about it. Or ask what i had in mind for certain parts. I have almost everything planned out.
Thanks,
Doug (Zaior)

Dball sxt
10-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Just beacuse it is and auto doesn't make it a bad car. Hell mine is auto as well. The Solara is a pretty nice car, they seel a very nice lip kit for it that make the car look 10x better.

jpalamar
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Nothing wrong with the auto part. Thats just personal preference.

I wouldn't spend any money modding this car though.

Big_Jim
10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Nothing wrong at all with an auto.
You should do this to it:
http://www.stanceworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/solara_02_800-600x399.jpg

Bates
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM

Don't post stuff like that! You might actually make me like Solaras. Lol.

Zaior
10-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't post stuff like that! You might actually make me like Solaras. Lol.

I'm actually using that picture as a model no joke... And also I'll make sure you start to like them :)

Zaior
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM

I'm gonna ... Just not that low.. Too high of a driveway at home :(

Bates
10-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm actually using that picture as a model no joke... And also I'll make sure you start to like them :)

I just don't like the body line and shape of these cars. They look bloated to me. But that picture is sexy. I guess low fixes being bloated looking?

Zaior
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I just don't like the body line and shape of these cars. They look bloated to me. But that picture is sexy. I guess low fixes being bloated looking?

Can't argue with that. It is a pretty ugly car, but besides those who own the car, it seems everyone hates them. And I like a challenge. I hope to bring some respect to these cars. And for anyone reading this who doesnt know, theres actually a 500+HP Solara up here i believe in Conneticut? It's Twin Turbod and Supercharged.. you should check it out.. pretty sick

Bates
10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I believe it. Any car can make power with enough money.

Zaior
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I believe it. Any car can make power with enough money.

Yeah I once saw an Astro Van beat a Lambo :O but thanks for your opinions. Keep Checking back, you can see whether you like how its going or not!

Big_Jim
10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm gonna ... Just not that low.. Too high of a driveway at home :(

That car was on bags, it was parted out about a year ago.

Zaior
10-05-2011, 02:23 PM
That car was on bags, it was parted out about a year ago.

Yeah if you go on solaraguy.com you can find a lot of pictures of the car lowered to where i am gonna lower it too. Heres a picture of what I wanna do
*DISCLAIMER: NOT MY CAR*

Erik@R/TTuning
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
In your shoes I'd probably just do a few small things to make it yours and drive it for a few years while saving up for a car that is oriented a little more towards performance and has more support from the aftermarket.
They are probably great DD cars!

The01Cav
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I can see lots of potential out of this car.

Zaior
10-05-2011, 10:24 PM
In your shoes I'd probably just do a few small things to make it yours and drive it for a few years while saving up for a car that is oriented a little more towards performance and has more support from the aftermarket.

Well I think im gonna give it to my bro in exchange for the couple thousand hes saved up. So I wanna make this something I really love. But I am gonna save up all my Holiday and graduation money. So i am hoping 12k by Sophomore year of college

Zaior
10-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Also I am a noob... Whats DD?

Zaior
10-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I can see lots of potential out of this car.

Thanks! I really hope your right!

lownslow95
10-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Also I am a noob... Whats DD?

Daily Driver.

Zaior
10-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Daily Driver.

Thanks! And yes if I have the radio on, you cant feel a thing. But it seems to idle a bit rough, so i am gonna replace the spark plugs with racing ones.. I mean the plugs shouldnt still be in there working after 140k miles and 12 years..

dugganzx3
10-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Nice car, it looks clean and well optioned. I always thought the Solara convertible was really classy looking, the coupe in that pic that was posted looks nasty, and there's nothing wrong with being unique. Everyone has a honda or a wrx or a 240 these days, mod the **** outta this just to be different. Also you should consider smoking your taillights lightly. Those TC like euro lights are really ricer looking, I always hated them even on the TC lol, plus you'd save like 100+ dollars. Also you should a consider a cheap cold air or short ram intake, and see if any companies specialize in mail order tunes for the Solara. Just a few ideas man, good luck with her.

The01Cav
10-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Found these on another forum

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/CTCORRADOKID/h20i083.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/CTCORRADOKID/h20i089.jpg

Zaior
10-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Nice car, it looks clean and well optioned. I always thought the Solara convertible was really classy looking, the coupe in that pic that was posted looks nasty, and there's nothing wrong with being unique. Everyone has a honda or a wrx or a 240 these days, mod the **** outta this just to be different. Also you should consider smoking your taillights lightly. Those TC like euro lights are really ricer looking, I always hated them even on the TC lol, plus you'd save like 100+ dollars. Also you should a consider a cheap cold air or short ram intake, and see if any companies specialize in mail order tunes for the Solara. Just a few ideas man, good luck with her.

Thanks! A lot! I honestly am not a huge fan of convertibles, I mean I love the option of putting it down, I just don't like the look of it all that much, but i noticed that everyone (Especially in Spotted!) has a WRX. I am getting the taillights and headlights smoked soon, but i am planning on getting a catback this weekend, and i hope get it installed next weekend. And the only reason i wanted those tC taillights is because they come stock with dark plastic, so technically i cant b pulled over for it.. I think? I am not too sure about the tinting on taillight laws. Mind filling me in?

Zaior
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Found these on another forum

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/CTCORRADOKID/h20i083.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/CTCORRADOKID/h20i089.jpg

Damn that looks clean! If I could find a cheap but decent set of springs to get that low i definitely would, and I like the smoked tail lights on that. The only thing i am gonna do different is my wheels are gonna be Bronze, and I am eventually going to get a new bronze Grille to match it.

jpalamar
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
i am gonna replace the spark plugs with racing ones.. I mean the plugs shouldnt still be in there working after 140k miles and 12 years..

Don't waste your money on special plugs. OEM equivalants will work exactly the same.

Zaior
10-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Don't waste your money on special plugs. OEM equivalants will work exactly the same.

Really? I found ones that claim they "add up to 12% more than stock spark plugs" Is that just bs? or should i test them and see how much they work? I mean its only an extra 30 bucks since i drive a 6 cylinder. And i could tell everyone if i notice a difference

lownslow95
10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Really? I found ones that claim they "add up to 12% more than stock spark plugs" Is that just bs? or should i test them and see how much they work? I mean its only an extra 30 bucks since i drive a 6 cylinder. And i could tell everyone if i notice a difference

I wouldn't get racing plugs, but thats just me. I would just get an OEM equivalent at Advance or Auto Zone.

Zaior
10-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't get racing plugs, but thats just me. I would just get an OEM equivalent at Advance or Auto Zone.

Alright thanks for the suggestion guys! I just feel that my car is idling a lot rougher than it should be, so i'm gonna replace them and see what happens!

jpalamar
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM

The thing is... there is no benfit from 12% more spark... other then giving an extra $30 into the economy.

Zaior
10-06-2011, 08:38 AM
The thing is... there is no benfit from 12% more spark... other then giving an extra $30 into the economy.

Hahahhaha alright thanks for the suggestion! It sounded a little too good to be true, i mean this thing has 200 hp stock. so i wasnt expecting to get an extra 24 horespower like they said... otherwise i think it would cost more than a catback.

Erik@R/TTuning
10-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Snake oil. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Ask here first while you are still learning.

Zaior
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Snake oil. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Ask here first while you are still learning.

Alright thanks I'll be sure to do that, make sure you check back every once and a while especially the next two weekends. I've hear nothing but good about Megan racing exhaust. But since were on te subject, would you recommend them?

The01Cav
10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I have used their exhaust system when I had my cavalier, not bad for the price. My friend has thier down pipe and catback on his 03 GTI and it fits well and has held up for a few years now.

Zaior
10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I have used their exhaust system when I had my cavalier, not bad for the price. My friend has thier down pipe and catback on his 03 GTI and it fits well and has held up for a few years now.

Alright nice, I'm gonna order it Friday I hope and then my
Buddies gonna do install next weekend. Hope it all works out!

The01Cav
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Mine was a little bit on the louder side, just a heads up. The one of my friends GTI though is quiet even being catless.

Zaior
10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Mine was a little bit on the louder side, just a heads up. The one of my friends GTI though is quiet even being catless.

I want loud and I want horsepower. as long as it doesn't sound overly ricey im happy. and i believe they make a silencer if its TOO loud

Zaior
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
And I think after that I'm getting a cold air intake

Zaior
10-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Yours wasnt loud enough to get pulled over for was it? Thats my only concern

The01Cav
10-06-2011, 10:09 PM
I was never pulled over for it.

The01Cav
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Here is a vid I found of one on a Solara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzfoOrIjEc&feature=related

Zaior
10-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Here is a vid I found of one on a Solara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzfoOrIjEc&feature=related

Well after some research I'm looking into OBX... much cheaper and they got a set of Headers that match.. only problem is it says ill lose some Low End Torque since im not supercharged yet... Have any idea whether id still hve my high end torque or not?

The01Cav
10-06-2011, 11:36 PM
It should help it pull up in the higher RPM's as it's going to be able to flow more air through the engine.

Dball sxt
10-07-2011, 12:22 AM
I have an OBX catback on my 2g stratus coupe and I love the sound of it. Not too loud or ricey, but a nice tone. I've had it on the car for 2 years with no issues. Nothing wrong with being a little different with your choice of car either, make it your own cause in the long run you have to live with it don't just try to impress others.

Zaior
10-07-2011, 07:56 AM
It should help it pull up in the higher RPM's as it's going to be able to flow more air through the engine.

Thanks a lot dude! You have been a really big help on here!

Zaior
10-07-2011, 07:56 AM
I have an OBX catback on my 2g stratus coupe and I love the sound of it. Not too loud or ricey, but a nice tone. I've had it on the car for 2 years with no issues. Nothing wrong with being a little different with your choice of car either, make it your own cause in the long run you have to live with it don't just try to impress others.

Thanks! I don't care what people think of it. I just want to bring a little more respect to the car.

jpalamar
10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks! A lot! I honestly am not a huge fan of convertibles, I mean I love the option of putting it down, I just don't like the look of it all that much, but i noticed that everyone (Especially in Spotted!) has a WRX. I am getting the taillights and headlights smoked soon, but i am planning on getting a catback this weekend, and i hope get it installed next weekend. And the only reason i wanted those tC taillights is because they come stock with dark plastic, so technically i cant b pulled over for it.. I think? I am not too sure about the tinting on taillight laws. Mind filling me in?

I tinted my tails and side markers on my GTO. When I did the tails, I tinted over the reverse lights and at night I could never see to get down my driveway. I will tint my tails on the Mustang, but def not touching the reverse lights again. From my experience, as much as it can look good to do the headlights, I would never do it for safety reasons.

I'm very sure it is not legal to modify the lights from the factory. Same with tint in the front. It is really one of those things of are you actually going to get pulled over for it though? Some people, myself included, never had an issue while others do.

Zaior
10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I tinted my tails and side markers on my GTO. When I did the tails, I tinted over the reverse lights and at night I could never see to get down my driveway. I will tint my tails on the Mustang, but def not touching the reverse lights again. From my experience, as much as it can look good to do the headlights, I would never do it for safety reasons.

I'm very sure it is not legal to modify the lights from the factory. Same with tint in the front. It is really one of those things of are you actually going to get pulled over for it though? Some people, myself included, never had an issue while others do.

Yeah, I can get out of a tinting ticket on my windows, because of my eyes, and im going to get an exemption note soon. ( I actually have really bad tolerance to light im not forging it). but you cant get out of it for taillights

Zaior
10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Here is an awesome picture I got of her yesterday!

Zaior
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I posted on solaraguy.com hopefully i get a response by tonight of whether an OBX 3'' will still increase High end torque. Apparently it loses a lot of back pressure with a 3" unless its supercharged. So it loses low end torque

Zaior
10-09-2011, 09:46 PM
For anyone thats following, I decided to save up another 2 weeks and buy the racing spec catback

Slevin
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
you shouldn't worry about exhaust until you have already purchased the blower. its just unnecessary for 2-3 hp at best. an intake will give you a little extra sound when you get on it, but keep it relatively stock for the most part. i would just do that to hold you over honestly.

caldwell
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
What is the factory exhaust diameter ( 2'' - 2.25'' ) ?

If you plan on keeping keeping the car N/A, then I would get an exhaust no bigger than ( 2.5" ).

trust me upgrading your exhaust pipe diameter a 1/4'' to 1/2'' larger than factory with a free flowing muffler, you'll be suprised how much of a difference it makes. going 3 inch is pointless unless you plan on going forced induction in the very near future...

Zaior
10-09-2011, 11:25 PM
What is the factory exhaust diameter ( 2'' - 2.25'' ) ?

If you plan on keeping keeping the car N/A, then I would get an exhaust no bigger than ( 2.5" ).

trust me upgrading your exhaust pipe diameter a 1/4'' to 1/2'' larger than factory with a free flowing muffler, you'll be suprised how much of a difference it makes. going 3 inch is pointless unless you plan on going forced induction in the very near future...

Thanks A lot! I just looked around and found that out! I am going to a twin exhaust its the most recommended (non ricey) one by other solara drivers, I am not sure on the size of the dual tip but the other was a 2.5" Hope to see you around bro! I see your very close to me!

caldwell
10-10-2011, 01:14 AM
im usually out @ the monday night meets, so maybe ill see you sometime...

pm me for meet info, if interested...

Zaior
10-10-2011, 08:06 AM
im usually out @ the monday night meets, so maybe ill see you sometime...

pm me for meet info, if interested...

Yepp Ill see you soon!

Zaior
10-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Got the car out to the Broomall meet Yesterday, got to meet a lot of people and had quite a bit of fun. Also talked to some people about what I am gonna do to my car, so here is the order of what I am hoping to do now.
1)
Next Paycheck (21st of October) I am buying a Megan Racing Catback Exhaust (Racing Spec) Its stainless steel, and a 2.5" piping with the tip being 3".
2)
After that I am going to save up until X-mas (Also i have an anniversary gift i have to buy in there so not all of it) So by X-mas I will have roughly 5 or 6 hundred dollars saved up, which ill give to my parents and hopefully they'll buy me coilovers
3)
Bronze Rims and a Bronze Grille to match the Bronze Pinstripe I just bought. (By maybe April?)
4)
Headers (By Summer)

After that I haven't thought about it too much.

boostedfury
10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
nice meeting you last night Doug. Just keep on the path you are going and you can make a tasetful, unique solara!

boostedfury
10-11-2011, 11:29 AM
...and remember less is more with car modding :)

Zaior
10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
...and remember less is more with car modding :)

Thanks a lot! I'll see you around. Nice to know I have some support!

Zaior
10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Thinking about Painting my wheels Gold/Bronze? Anyone think this is a good idea or bad idea based on experience?

Slevin
10-12-2011, 10:32 PM
do ett, if you don't like it paint them some other color.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Just ordered my Catback system! I got the Megan Racing OE-RS. I hope to get it in about 7 days. And then ill get it installed next Saturday or something! So Hype! It sounds decent and a noticeable increase in Horsepower says other useres on the solara forums

Slevin
10-13-2011, 12:31 AM
unless you're boosted you really won't feel the power difference

AWD GS
10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
agreed, you wont notice much other than the sound. also imo i wouldnt paint the stock wheels. im just not a fan of anything stock being painted.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 07:35 AM
agreed, you wont notice much other than the sound. also imo i wouldnt paint the stock wheels. im just not a fan of anything stock being painted.

Alright I figured I am gonna wait and see if i get them for xmas anyway like ive been begging. And the Exhaust wont make a big difference now, but after i put in headers and an air intake ill notice a difference from them all

AWD GS
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
what type of wheels you looking at? the other forum im on has tons of wheels for sale, new and used.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
what type of wheels you looking at? the other forum im on has tons of wheels for sale, new and used.

Anything Bronze/Gold. I was looking at a set of Enkei's that looked really good, but you can see my car in my picture, or on my profile I have more pics, and I want to detail my whole car with Bronze or gold. I got a pinstripe (havent put it on yet) That is that color, So i am gonna do the pinstripe with matching wheels, and get a mesh grille and paint it a matching color

lownslow95
10-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Anything Bronze/Gold. I was looking at a set of Enkei's that looked really good, but you can see my car in my picture, or on my profile I have more pics, and I want to detail my whole car with Bronze or gold. I got a pinstripe (havent put it on yet) That is that color, So i am gonna do the pinstripe with matching wheels, and get a mesh grille and paint it a matching color

Just don't go overboard with all the gold/bronze on your car.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Just don't go overboard with all the gold/bronze on your car.

Yeah I know. I am only doing those 3 things

AWD GS
10-13-2011, 09:28 AM

mesh grille will look horrible painted bronze/gold and not either black or the body color.

Erik@R/TTuning
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Agreed. Stay away from a colored grill.

Got Insulin?
10-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Also, $600 coilovers will likely ride like balls. What options are out there for your car?

Zaior
10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
mesh grille will look horrible painted bronze/gold and not either black or the body color.

Thanks for the Tip

Zaior
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Also, $600 coilovers will likely ride like balls. What options are out there for your car?

There are lowering springs that lower roughly about 1.5" but everyone seems to recommend getting new struts if i get springs. So thats gonna be pretty expensive too. So i am probably gonna save up about 1.2k and buy a decent set of coilovers

AWD GS
10-13-2011, 09:55 AM
yea anytime you lower a car with springs and do not change the struts/shocks, they will blow out much quicker and the car will ride like crap. imo i prefer coils over springs anyway. everyone always says they only want to lower an inch or so, then after they get use to seeing their car, they want to go lower and wish they had bought coilovers. by that time you've wasted a few hundred bucks. figure (using rough numbers) springs = $200, shocks = $300, alignment $100. your already at say 600 bucks if you get struts/shocks and probably add another 250-300 if you get someone to put them on. now imagine if you want to go lower lol.

coils would be the best bet and decent coils can be had for about 1000 or so plus their easier to install.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
yea anytime you lower a car with springs and do not change the struts/shocks, they will blow out much quicker and the car will ride like crap. imo i prefer coils over springs anyway. everyone always says they only want to lower an inch or so, then after they get use to seeing their car, they want to go lower and wish they had bought coilovers. by that time you've wasted a few hundred bucks. figure (using rough numbers) springs = $200, shocks = $300, alignment $100. your already at say 600 bucks if you get struts/shocks and probably add another 250-300 if you get someone to put them on. now imagine if you want to go lower lol.

coils would be the best bet and decent coils can be had for about 1000 or so plus their easier to install.

Thanks thats probably waht im going to do if i ever get the money

russiankid
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Learning with a car that has low aftermarket support is actually very beneficial. I learned to work on cars with an old Honda, where motor swaps were not just drop in and go, and suspension/brakes were not all drop in and go. It gives you hands on experience as far as making things work, and making it your own by taking random bits from different cars and making it one. Once you get dirty and get some things done to the car, you'll earn a different type of respect for it. This is why I personally do everything myself, I love the feeling.

But, good luck with this car! Even if you don't get it to where you want it to be, its a Toyota...it'll last.

lownslow95
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Learning with a car that has low aftermarket support is actually very beneficial. I learned to work on cars with an old Honda, where motor swaps were not just drop in and go, and suspension/brakes were not all drop in and go. It gives you hands on experience as far as making things work, and making it your own by taking random bits from different cars and making it one. Once you get dirty and get some things done to the car, you'll earn a different type of respect for it. This is why I personally do everything myself, I love the feeling.

But, good luck with this car! Even if you don't get it to where you want it to be, its a Toyota...it'll last.

That's how I started. Granted my first car was a 1996 Integra LS. But I didn't have that much planned for it. Then my second car was a 1995 Ranger, with not much aftermarket for it. I mean, there were some parts available, but not many unless you did a motor swap. I have thought about it. Now that I actually have a car worth modding again, I plan on doing it right, and doing it right the first time. Getting coilovers is better IMO then just coils where your not gonna be happy with the drop it gives you after a while, and your going to want to go lower. That's just my .02. Good luck with the car though. Should be interesting. Don't see to many modded Solaras out there.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
That's how I started. Granted my first car was a 1996 Integra LS. But I didn't have that much planned for it. Then my second car was a 1995 Ranger, with not much aftermarket for it. I mean, there were some parts available, but not many unless you did a motor swap. I have thought about it. Now that I actually have a car worth modding again, I plan on doing it right, and doing it right the first time. Getting coilovers is better IMO then just coils where your not gonna be happy with the drop it gives you after a while, and your going to want to go lower. That's just my .02. Good luck with the car though. Should be interesting. Don't see to many modded Solaras out there.

Lol unless you count tint as modding, ive seen maybe 1 in person haha

lownslow95
10-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Not really.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Not really.

I meant like i have only seen 1 modded solara. and it was this monday at a meet it was red with a Short Ram and Catback thats it

lownslow95
10-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, those are mods, but window tint I really don't consider it a mod.

AWD GS
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
well you'll certainly be different. i remember when i had my first car, my cavalier. i was the only person in the area at the time that had a fully modified cavalier, then they started to pop up more and more once parts started to become more available.

grimm
10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't spend any money modding this car though.

This is probably some of the best advice in this thread.
But since I know that is irrelevant I digress to this advice.
Don't mod based on your budget and instant satisfaction, mod based on achieving goals. (and i don't mean goals like, i want an exhaust)

what is your ultimate goal for the car?
now how do you get there?

i wouldn't buy a single part before answering those questions.

but have fun man, you're going to waste so much money and regret it later, but tear it up. most of us have been in your shoes at one point.

Slevin
10-13-2011, 05:22 PM
This is probably some of the best advice in this thread.
But since I know that is irrelevant I digress to this advice.
Don't mod based on your budget and instant satisfaction, mod based on achieving goals. (and i don't mean goals like, i want an exhaust)

what is your ultimate goal for the car?
now how do you get there?

i wouldn't buy a single part before answering those questions.

but have fun man, you're going to waste so much money and regret it later, but tear it up. most of us have been in your shoes at one point.

this is great advice, and those are two very important questions you need to ask yourself. if you have no real direction then you will probably replace 99% of the parts you will buy when you acquire a direction.

also, you should ask yourself "is this car the one that will achieve your ultimate goal?"

instead of saving up for parts, you can save up and sell your car for one that fits what you want to do in the car world.

Zaior
10-13-2011, 08:27 PM
this is great advice, and those are two very important questions you need to ask yourself. if you have no real direction then you will probably replace 99% of the parts you will buy when you acquire a direction.

also, you should ask yourself "is this car the one that will achieve your ultimate goal?"

instead of saving up for parts, you can save up and sell your car for one that fits what you want to do in the car world.

Well I want to work on cars for my future. Hopefully open up my own shop. And not to like brag or anything like that, but my parents kinda have a lot of money (yeah i know im spoiled) So i am kinda learning how everything works at the same time i am learning how to make everything work harder. so better to do it on this cheap car then my car i get after i graduate college.

Zaior
10-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Starting to have second thoughts on my car.. I just dont know what im doing yet

1) Mod my car with pay checks. Save money from holiday and birthday and graduation and sell car after i graduate and buy something really modifiable

2) Mod my car with all my money and make it look as clean as possible, and keep it till it dies.

3) Don't mod it and save everything for after graduation to buy something newer thats modifiable

nissamax
10-16-2011, 09:29 PM

1) Mod my car with pay checks. Save money from holiday and birthday and graduation and sell car after i graduate and buy something really modifiable

2) Mod my car with all my money and make it look as clean as possible, and keep it till it dies.

3) Don't mod it and save everything for after graduation to buy something newer thats modifiable

option 3 you only got 1 semester left. get something that easier to mod you will be happyier in the end you will have a car you really want.

Zaior
10-16-2011, 09:33 PM
option 3 you only got 1 semester left. get something that easier to mod you will be happyier in the end you will have a car you really want.

Thats what I was thinking, but I know with the way i "save" (spend) i wont be able to afford anything much more than $10,000.
Maybe I'll just put in a head unit because i can bring that to my next car, and otherwise ill just save the rest. idk whats in that range though. Probably 350z's or G35's or something like that

nissamax
10-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Thats what I was thinking, but I know with the way i "save" (spend) i wont be able to afford anything much more than $10,000.
Maybe I'll just put in a head unit because i can bring that to my next car, and otherwise ill just save the rest. idk whats in that range though. Probably 350z's or G35's or something like that

eh i think those are gonna be out of your price range their a little more then 10k

head unit isent a bad idea like you said it can always be taken out

Zaior
10-16-2011, 09:39 PM
eh i think those are gonna be out of your price range their a little more then 10k

head unit isent a bad idea like you said it can always be taken out

Yeah it all depends how well i save and what someone is selling at the time so I guess I'll just save up for now

nissamax
10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
just take 20-30 from each pay check. and put it away

caldwell
10-16-2011, 09:45 PM
agree with option 3...

save up, and buy something thats gonna be easier to mod...

Slevin
10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
LOL at niko giving financial advice

Zaior
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
LOL at niko giving financial advice

hahaha im sure hes better than me at saving..

Zaior
10-16-2011, 09:52 PM
just take 20-30 from each pay check. and put it away

Yeah but thats only 510 dollars by the time i graduate. I was thinking more like 100 per paycheck. hahaha and thats 1700

Slevin
10-16-2011, 09:55 PM

you prolly make more than he does

Zaior
10-16-2011, 09:56 PM
you prolly make more than he does

lol im 17... i get 7.75 an hour..

Actually i guess after i turn 18 my mom already got me a job at 1050 an hour.. so maybe!

nissamax
10-16-2011, 09:59 PM
agree with option 3...

save up, and buy something thats gonna be easier to mod...

lol right? hahaa im probably the worst saver only because i dont make enough that i gotta pull from the money i saved.

Zaior
10-16-2011, 10:06 PM
lol right? hahaa im probably the worst saver only because i dont make enough that i gotta pull from the money i saved.

Hahaha its not that i cant save... its more just like i get tempted... by good food.. alot

Zaior
10-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Lol i know this is off topic but im just looking at cars and seeing what theyre worth.. And look it says apparently the CON of a corvette is its not a coupe?!

Bdub215
10-16-2011, 10:19 PM

You don't have faith. Modding something on the Camry platform ain't easy. I know this very well b/c I'm in the midst of building up my ES300. But it is doable for very cheap. I'd recommend joining Toyotanation.com if you haven't already that's where that cult following of Camry/Solara owners like myself are. If your interested you can buy some of my spare parts.

Sent from my Thoughts via Tapatalk

Zaior
10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
You don't have faith. Modding something on the Camry platform ain't easy. I know this very well b/c I'm in the midst of building up my ES300. But it is doable for very cheap. I'd recommend joining Toyotanation.com if you haven't already that's where that cult following of Camry/Solara owners like myself are. If your interested you can buy some of my spare parts.

Dont get me wrong I love my car I absolutely do. And i would love to mod it. I just dont know if i feel comfortable doing that to the car voted the #1 car for women to drive in 2004... haha

Bdub215
10-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Dont get me wrong I love my car I absolutely do. And i would love to mod it. I just dont know if i feel comfortable doing that to the car voted the #1 car for women to drive in 2004... haha

And that right there is what I mean. Don't let the status quo affect how you mod your car. If I had your car (idk if you have a 4 banger or V6) it would be seeing some form of boost via a engine swap for the 4cylinder for a turbo or a supercharger that my friend gabe sells for the V6 Camry/solara.

Zaior
10-16-2011, 10:58 PM
And that right there is what I mean. Don't let the status quo affect how you mod your car. If I had your car (idk if you have a 4 banger or V6) it would be seeing some form of boost via a engine swap for the 4cylinder for a turbo or a supercharger that my friend gabe sells for the V6 Camry/solara.

Yeah I know him from SG but the problem is i dont have the money. Plus my car already is past 160k miles

Bdub215
10-16-2011, 11:19 PM
You could at least do intake/header/exhaust. That's available cheap for the solara. The v6 will be a smidge more for the y-pipe and rear header. But that's a good 10-20hp gained right there and a PNP will get you another 5-10

Zaior
10-16-2011, 11:34 PM
You could at least do intake/header/exhaust. That's available cheap for the solara. The v6 will be a smidge more for the y-pipe and rear header. But that's a good 10-20hp gained right there and a PNP will get you another 5-10

Yeah im still gonna do that stuff i think, well the exhaust at least.. stuff thats easy to replace for when i sell it. So im not gonna lower it or change rims or tires and thats stuff i dont thiink

boostedfury
10-16-2011, 11:34 PM
if you are having thoughts, don't spend ANY money on it yet.. Look around and drive some used cars in the mean time and see what you like. For 10 grand you can purchase and build a nice, clean honda, a 2.5rs or older impreza, 90s style mustang or camaro etc etc. Remember at your age you wont have a STI or EVO so just get something you can easily afford to gas up, maintain and mod last!

Zaior
10-17-2011, 07:56 AM
if you are having thoughts, don't spend ANY money on it yet.. Look around and drive some used cars in the mean time and see what you like. For 10 grand you can purchase and build a nice, clean honda, a 2.5rs or older impreza, 90s style mustang or camaro etc etc. Remember at your age you wont have a STI or EVO so just get something you can easily afford to gas up, maintain and mod last!

Yeah, I am not sure yet, I might buy a car that costs just as much as i save. like buy a 10 grand car and mod along the way

jpalamar
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
This thread is reminding me of a Charger thread.

OP, don't spend a single dollar on it until you have a goal with a plan to get there. Without it, you are just a chicken running around with its head cut off.

Zaior
10-17-2011, 08:05 AM

OP, don't spend a single dollar on it until you have a goal with a plan to get there. Without it, you are just a chicken running around with its head cut off.

Yeah I was planning on 250hp and lowered, but i am thinking if i keep stock i might get more when i sell it, so I am probably gonna do a Head Unit and maybe new speakers thats about it.

caldwell
10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
good idea...

Zaior
10-17-2011, 10:17 AM
good idea...

hahahh thanks. If you are going tonight ill talk to you there i actually have seen some nice cars that i could afford lately

grimm
10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I think you are making a wise decision. I wouldn't even buy an intake or exhaust for that car if you are tight on cash. thats $300-$500 to gain 2-5hp. That cash would be better spent on a car that you will have better success modifying.

Saving money is difficult but look at it this way. if you really want a nice car to modify then you need to save. If you can't save then you really don't care that much about having a car to modify.

MattBear
10-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I just dont know if i feel comfortable doing that to the car voted the #1 car for women to drive in 2004... haha

i've had 4 jettas..... yes no matter how many times im told its a chick car, or its a kraut ****box or w/e.... ive kept with em.

do what you like, just dont make it an eyesore for the rest of us :)

im assuming this is a v6? if so save those bills for a good suspension, and then supercharge it. do eiiit

Zaior
10-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I think you are making a wise decision. I wouldn't even buy an intake or exhaust for that car if you are tight on cash. thats $300-$500 to gain 2-5hp. That cash would be better spent on a car that you will have better success modifying.

Saving money is difficult but look at it this way. if you really want a nice car to modify then you need to save. If you can't save then you really don't care that much about having a car to modify.

Yeah I am gonna regret it the entire i am saving but the day i bring home a new car I think I will be so happy

Zaior
10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah well ive been talking to my dad lately and he said that if i dont buy a new car after graduation, after im finished college he'll give me 30k for a car (As long as I move out) so im just gonna keep this. I know i will probably change my mind again between now and then but who knows... Anyway I bought a Head Unit yesterday from BestBuy fro $350. Heres the link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-/Satellite+Radio-/HD+Radio-Ready+DVD+Deck/1931441.p?id=1218301620357&skuId=1931441 Ive already got it all hooked up and it works beautifully.

caldwell
10-23-2011, 11:26 PM
zaior, you know anyone interested in some cheap subs ?

I have ( 2 ) MTX 8's in a ported box im looking to get rid of on the cheap... they handle 150w RMS each...

Zaior
10-25-2011, 07:54 AM
zaior, you know anyone interested in some cheap subs ?

I have ( 2 ) MTX 8's in a ported box im looking to get rid of on the cheap... they handle 150w RMS each...

You probably got my PM, but yeah the guy I was with last night would love to buy them if he can find the money, but after i got mine setup a bunch of people at my school want subs, so i can ask around and find you a buyer no problem

Zaior
10-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Alright, so even though we got kicked out of our spot last night by the cops, ultimately i guess it was a good thing, because I met a kid who lives really close to me who used to have a camry which has the same motor (The 1mz-fe) So he has a lot of expertise on the car and what mods work and which dont. He gave a me a couple free/really cheap mods that will make a huge difference in the driving in the car. I am going to seafoam it this weekend, and after that there is a mod that im going to do that makes the auto transmission shift faster.

Zaior
11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Got run off a road the other night by somehow asshole driving the wrong way down a one way street.. so i need to repair either my tie rods or my ball joints. Putting it up these weekend to find out which. Im hoping Tie Rods. After that getting it Alligned. Hopefully I can get the money to do it before inspection at the end of this month. I also need new windshield wipers. but there not too expensive

denmah
11-04-2011, 04:17 PM
anyone ever see that red solara around here with the ****in sidepipes! lol

Zaior
11-06-2011, 02:03 AM
anyone ever see that red solara around here with the ****in sidepipes! lol

I don't think he actually lives around here. Thats a huge picture posted on a lot of different forums

denmah
11-07-2011, 01:32 AM
my friend caught it one day on his phone.

isved
11-07-2011, 09:29 AM

LOL I was just thinking that!

Zaior
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I just found out that for our anniversary, my girlfriend got me this front lip! So hype! Anyone know how much it usually is to get a lip kit painted?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/373/2421/25931210057_large.jpg

nissamax
11-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Congrats. But my idea failed then lol.

JDMTyler3326
11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
You gotta do the lip around the car.

Zaior
11-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Congrats. But my idea failed then lol.

Hahaha why did your idea fail?

Zaior
11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
You gotta do the lip around the car.

Yeah I know but i am just getting the front for now

Zaior
11-28-2011, 12:32 AM
So this weekend i had a cold air intake put in my car. Sounds awesome and i can feel a small power increase. I am painting my wheels white next weekend.. just a small update

Bdub215
11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
So this weekend i had a cold air intake put in my car. Sounds awesome and i can feel a small power increase. I am painting my wheels white next weekend.. just a small update

Injen?

Zaior
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Injen?

Nah I built it myself outta spectre parts

Zaior
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I just ordered my TEIN Lowered springs, I am lowerin gmy car 1.7" tomorrow!

Big_Jim
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
you ordered them today and they'll be here tomorrow? Do you have all the necessary tools?

Zaior
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
you ordered them today and they'll be here tomorrow? Do you have all the necessary tools?

Yes I have all the tools. But No i ordered them Saturday, but today is the first mail day since then. And the place i bought it from is really close, with 2 day shipping

Big_Jim
01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
oh ok. make sure you use spring compressors so you dont kill yourself or someone helping with the install.

Zaior
01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
oh ok. make sure you use spring compressors so you dont kill yourself or someone helping with the install.

Yeah ahahah I know thats what everyone keeps saying, Thanks!

Zaior
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
So i was looking around on the Solara Forums and I found a link to some clear corners, there not bad, 40$ anyone wanna give me an opinion on whether you think i should do it? You can look at any of the pictures in this journal, and compare it to this
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2918/2721/7293860004_large.jpg

isved
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Did you install the springs?

Zaior
01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Nope the people who inspected my car didnt put my lug key back in, so i cant get my wheels off, I have to get them cut and get new lugs. probably gonna have to wait till close to spring now

Slevin
01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
or make the shop get you a new lug key?

Bdub215
01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
If their factory take it to a dealer they have a master set of locks and could blow it out in a few minutes. They can probably put regular lug nuts on their at a price.

lk250f
01-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Saw these on toyota nation and thought of you. Not in a creepy way.... Looks subtle but nice.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1673/img8105t.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1353/img8111dn.jpg

Bdub215
01-08-2012, 01:06 AM
I like it.

metalgearunltd
01-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Solara looks really good, keep up the good work

lk250f
01-08-2012, 01:11 AM
I like it.

All it needs different is the rear and front lips. Just like my car, in the center the lip just kind of goes away... I like evenness. I want my lip to go all the way around.

Zaior
01-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Just a little update, I got the lugs off, i put it back in for now until i have a 4 replacements (theres one on every wheel) and then I am going to lower it. I get paid on Friday and I am getting my buddies 17x8.5 work emotions in bronze. Yesterday i Plasti-dipped my stock wheels and grill and tinted my tail lights. It looks murdered out... but green. ahaha. my birthday is two weeks from today I am getting HiDs for sure and i hope i get my catback!

Rally Sport
01-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Sounds like your making good progress! The works will look great, and i bet bronze on green will look awesome.

Zaior
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Sounds like your making good progress! The works will look great, and i bet bronze on green will look awesome.

Yeah I am hoping it does! Well know on Friday I guess!

Zaior
01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I am gonna upload some pictures in a little bit!

Zaior
02-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Just a little update everyone. I got my HiD's 8000k 55w as headlights... putting in Fogs tomorrow 3000k 55w... Also I just made eagle scout.. which is a huge accomplishment for those of you that do not know. So my parents are letting me get any 400$ worth of modding done to the car that I want. What do you guys think I should do? I have a few choices
1) Catback Exhaust
2) Crankshaft Pulley (Great Success on other Solara owners and like 8 HP) + Throttle Body Spacer
3) Wide Bore Throttle Body + Throttle Body Spacer

What do you guys think I should go with?

Zaior
02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Oh I forgot! OR I can buy my friends Bronze Wheels 17x8.5 and Have the lug locks taken off, so lowered also. Since I still have the springs sitting in my room

jpalamar
02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Just a little update everyone. I got my HiD's 8000k 55w as headlights... putting in Fogs tomorrow 3000k 55w... Also I just made eagle scout.. which is a huge accomplishment for those of you that do not know. So my parents are letting me get any 400$ worth of modding done to the car that I want. What do you guys think I should do? I have a few choices
1) Catback Exhaust
2) Crankshaft Pulley (Great Success on other Solara owners and like 8 HP) + Throttle Body Spacer

Oh I forgot! OR I can buy my friends Bronze Wheels 17x8.5 and Have the lug locks taken off, so lowered also. Since I still have the springs sitting in my room

I wouldn't spend any money on power mods. Your not going to feel any difference at the end of the day.

$400 will go a LONG way with getting the rest of the suspension setup so you can use your lowering springs. Thats what I would do in your position.

Zaior
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't spend any money on power mods. Your not going to feel any difference at the end of the day.

$400 will go a LONG way with getting the rest of the suspension setup so you can use your lowering springs. Thats what I would do in your position.

That's what I was thinking.. By the way I added you on Facebook yesterday lol names Doug Popplewell

AWD GS
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
1) Catback Exhaust

you might want to check your stock harness and bulbs to see what they were rated at. 55w for an hid kit is usually high and could fry the harness.

as far as the options go 1 would be my choice. 3 is just a complete waste of money as TBS do nothing

Zaior
02-10-2012, 01:12 PM
you might want to check your stock harness and bulbs to see what they were rated at. 55w for an hid kit is usually high and could fry the harness.

as far as the options go 1 would be my choice. 3 is just a complete waste of money as TBS do nothing

I got a new harness, my friend ordered everything for me and he's had the same HiDs I have in his solara for 2 years with no problem

Slevin
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
i would do wheels/suspension. i would listen to palm and stay away from the "power" mods.

Zaior
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
i would do wheels/suspension. i would listen to palm and stay away from the "power" mods.

Thats what I want to do but i get the feeling if i get the wheels I am going to wish I bought the exhaust, not for the power, I just love the sound lol. But I guess its believable that i can eventually make this car look good.. Not believable itll ever go fast.

Zaior
02-10-2012, 04:19 PM
So for that reason I think I am going to go with wheels

Slevin
02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Thats what I want to do but i get the feeling if i get the wheels I am going to wish I bought the exhaust, not for the power, I just love the sound lol. But I guess its believable that i can eventually make this car look good.. Not believable itll ever go fast.

There's always your next car man. I know you want it for the sound, but you gotta realize there will be a lot unwanted attention from it. Most of the time an exhaust on a car that will never go fast isn't usually worth it. Make it sit good on some nice wheels and then go from there if you really want some "go-fast" mods.

nissamax
02-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I agree with joe.

pearly11WRX
02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Just a little update everyone. I got my HiD's 8000k 55w as headlights... putting in Fogs tomorrow 3000k 55w...

I don't understand this trend of putting HID lights into housings that are 1) not designed to output HID lighting at all, and 2) are not designed to aim HID lighting correctly (i.e. fog lights).

Please do not put HID's into your fog lights, and I have two major reasons as to why I say this.

1) These will literally blind every person you drive by/behind or anywhere you operate this vehicle.

2) 55 Watts is a lot of power and I can almost guarantee (never make any promises on this) that you will melt your housings and ruin the fog lights completely.

I hope you take my concerns for other motorists seriously, as I am not trying to be a ball buster or denigrate you in ANY way. You also should not be installing HID's into housings not designed to correctly output this light (i.e. reflector housings).

Take a read of this website:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

it will help to seriously read that information and follow what a professional such as Daniel Stern has to say. If you had halogen projectors, I'd say you MIGHT be OK with glare issues, this is, of course, dependent on each light individually.

one8turbo
02-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't understand this trend of putting HID lights into housings that are 1) not designed to output HID lighting at all, and 2) are not designed to aim HID lighting correctly (i.e. fog lights).

Please do not put HID's into your fog lights, and I have two major reasons as to why I say this.

1) These will literally blind every person you drive by/behind or anywhere you operate this vehicle.

2) 55 Watts is a lot of power and I can almost guarantee (never make any promises on this) that you will melt your housings and ruin the fog lights completely.

I hope you take my concerns for other motorists seriously, as I am not trying to be a ball buster or denigrate you in ANY way. You also should not be installing HID's into housings not designed to correctly output this light (i.e. reflector housings).

Take a read of this website:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

it will help to seriously read that information and follow what a professional such as Daniel Stern has to say. If you had halogen projectors, I'd say you MIGHT be OK with glare issues, this is, of course, dependent on each light individually.

Sadly there are two types of people in this world. People like you and I who understand why you shouldn't run hid's in housings that aren't designed for them, and people that will run hid's no matter what you say to them.

Slevin
02-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Sadly there are two types of people in this world. People like you and I who understand why you shouldn't run hid's in housings that aren't designed for them, and people that will run hid's no matter what you say to them.

that's why you upgrade your mirrors and rear-view. after swapping my mirrors for convex, blue tinted glass, my headache's declined by 99% haha

pearly11WRX
02-12-2012, 01:19 AM

Meh, I know man. I guess I just try to educate people the best I can, and if they don't want/care/etc that information, then all I am is a pissed :cyberguy:.

that's why you upgrade your mirrors and rear-view. after swapping my mirrors for convex, blue tinted glass, my headache's declined by 99% haha

I was thinking about that. Actually, I was thinking about WRX power folding mirrors with the JDM convex glass. That would be pretty bad-ass, and the wiring isn't really TOO bad either.

Zaior
02-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Lol I wish you told me that before! You just said you weren't a big fan of HiDs lol, oh well! To late now. As for the other part, my parents are weary about buying me a set of wheels and tires with only a little tread they don't mind the catback because its not used. I'm not sure i still have to talk to them! Lol wish me luck!

boostedfury
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
The best advice man without any disrespect by any means, do not accept the wheels from the rents. Just enjoy the car and save up and have patience and it will go a long way!!

Zaior
02-12-2012, 10:23 PM
The best advice man without any disrespect by any means, do not accept the wheels from the rents. Just enjoy the car and save up and have patience and it will go a long way!!

Well I made Eagle Scout so they really want to buy me something I will use, and its either catback or wheels, or save it. I was thinking Id buy the wheels lower it and eventually get the catback and be done with the car, enjoy it and save up for something new eventually. I already bought the springs from Jay, so I definitely wanna lower it at least. I just dont know if I want to start saving up for something new already or do the wheels suspension and catback and then save.. But I have to decide soon! I am graduating soon and thats gonna be a lot of money.. it just seems my mind changes a lot

Rally Sport
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
If your parent want to buy you a gift for getting Eagle scout that's awesome! I'd go for the wheels. Low, sexy and slow. I feel you on that lol

Zaior
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
If your parent want to buy you a gift for getting Eagle scout that's awesome! I'd go for the wheels. Low, sexy and slow. I feel you on that lol

Yeah theyd rather hand me something at my banquet, its kind of a big achievement for me so I see where they are coming from

jpalamar
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
it just seems my mind changes a lot

Modding a car without a plan/goal will never get you anywhere. I'd save it for the time being.

caldwell
02-13-2012, 12:02 AM
doug, If your waiting on graduatinf school then i would sell the springs on solara forums... wait until the summer and get something decent... the solara would be a waste of your time putting that money into it...

tell your parents the amount they would spend on rims, to put it in a savings account for a nicer car...

Got Insulin?
02-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Well I made Eagle Scout so they really want to buy me something I will use, and its either catback or wheels, or save it. I was thinking Id buy the wheels lower it and eventually get the catback and be done with the car, enjoy it and save up for something new eventually. I already bought the springs from Jay, so I definitely wanna lower it at least. I just dont know if I want to start saving up for something new already or do the wheels suspension and catback and then save.. But I have to decide soon! I am graduating soon and thats gonna be a lot of money.. it just seems my mind changes a lot

Congrats on accomplishing Eagle from a fellow Eagle! If they want to give you something, do some long-term thinking and ask them to give you a C.D. and let it roll over for a few years.

Anything you do to your car will only depreciate; however, gaining respect from your parents and your peers for having the foresight to plan ahead will go a long ways.

AWD GS
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
a catback before your car is even lowered or have wheels would look a bit silly imo. if i were to do it, it would first be a drop, followed by wheels, then exhaust or just save up and do all 3 at once.

Zaior
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Congrats on accomplishing Eagle from a fellow Eagle! If they want to give you something, do some long-term thinking and ask them to give you a C.D. and let it roll over for a few years.

Anything you do to your car will only depreciate; however, gaining respect from your parents and your peers for having the foresight to plan ahead will go a long ways.

I understand where you are coming from completely and i agree with you. but for me its a lot more easily said than done. I mean I spend everything I make usually, I mean I am going to a Community College with some scholarships from things such as making Eagle, so I am basically going for free. Really all I have to spend my money on is gas and my car, and my girlfriend. In fact thats why I got the job, is to mod my car! So although I would love to save up and buy a $10k car in the summer, I feel as if when I see the money grow it will get harder and harder to stop myself from wanting to spend it

AWD GS
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I understand where you are coming from completely and i agree with you. but for me its a lot more easily said than done. I mean I spend everything I make usually, I mean I am going to a Community College with some scholarships from things such as making Eagle, so I am basically going for free. Really all I have to spend my money on is gas and my car, and my girlfriend. In fact thats why I got the job, is to mod my car! So although I would love to save up and buy a $10k car in the summer, I feel as if when I see the money grow it will get harder and harder to stop myself from wanting to spend it

its not actually as hard as you think. once you get older and your priorities change, you'll not really care too much about having a modded car. everyone goes through this stage so enjoy it while you can. once you hit mid 20s, you'll think differently about your money.

Zaior
02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
its not actually as hard as you think. once you get older and your priorities change, you'll not really care too much about having a modded car. everyone goes through this stage so enjoy it while you can. once you hit mid 20s, you'll think differently about your money.

So maybe its best for me to save up and get something that is easily modded now. I mean i've already accepted my car will never go fast. But I just love the look of it, and now that I have the springs in my basement I want to see how good it would look lowered

Rally Sport
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
a catback before your car is even lowered or have wheels would look a bit silly imo. if i were to do it, it would first be a drop, followed by wheels, then exhaust or just save up and do all 3 at once.

this is exactly the order i did my mods in.

pearly11WRX
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Being 25 now, what AWD said is 100% correct. I remember spending thousands of dollars on my RX-7s, sometimes modding without even doing it in the right order just so I could spend more money. Now, although I do still love cars, I purposely bought a car with a warranty so I avoid the money pit problems. Now my money goes to paying off college, gas, and doing **** in life like traveling lol.

So maybe its best for me to save up and get something that is easily modded now. I mean i've already accepted my car will never go fast. But I just love the look of it, and now that I have the springs in my basement I want to see how good it would look lowered

I was in your exact same spot, saying the exact same thing when I had my first car (92 Maxima). Trust me man, see if your parents will put that cash into a savings account for you. A more tune-able car (e.g. older DSM, older Mustang, older 240SX, older anything really) would be a much better opportunity and not really too far out of a basic price range of ~3-5k. You could have a car like that in 6-8 months with the right saving routine, and then you'll be much better off.

Zaior
02-21-2012, 12:40 AM
So after going out to the meet tonight I have pretty much decided what I am doing with this car. For starters I would just like to say I am in the midst of lowering the car, I have lowered the front half, doing the back half next weekend. Here are my plans for the car. Wheels (Coming within the next 2 weeks), Catback, Wide-Bore Throttle Body, Fuel Upgrade Mod, Lip Kit. You guys can try to convince me not to do it all you want, but I am pretty set on it, I love the look of this car, in my opinion it is beautiful, I love the shape of it, so I am going to do my best to get it to run smoothly, with a tad more power, and I will be happy as long as it continues to look the way it does now!

Slevin
02-21-2012, 12:43 AM
So after going out to the meet tonight I have pretty much decided what I am doing with this car. For starters I would just like to say I am in the midst of lowering the car, I have lowered the front half, doing the back half next weekend. Here are my plans for the car. Wheels (Coming within the next 2 weeks), Catback, Wide-Bore Throttle Body, Fuel Upgrade Mod, Lip Kit. You guys can try to convince me not to do it all you want, but I am pretty set on it, I love the look of this car, in my opinion it is beautiful, I love the shape of it, so I am going to do my best to get it to run smoothly, with a tad more power, and I will be happy as long as it continues to look the way it does now!

nice talkin to ya tonight man

Zaior
02-21-2012, 12:52 AM
nice talkin to ya tonight man

Same to you and thanks for your opinions.. Actually really made a difference in how I'm going to take this car I think!

The01Cav
02-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I am looking forward to seeing where the car goes from here.

boostedfury
02-21-2012, 01:14 AM
do it up dude and it should look awesome!!

caldwell
02-21-2012, 01:47 AM
if your dead set on it, then i have no choice to support you doug... simply cause its not my money lol hahahaha

what size rims ?

Zaior
02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
if your dead set on it, then i have no choice to support you doug... simply cause its not my money lol hahahaha

what size rims ?

17x8.5 look on my Facebook page! I have a picture of them, they look really good and I'm getting them for a steal!

Dball sxt
02-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Really like how these look with lip kits, I have a mag with one as a readers ride that has a lip kit and it looks pretty damn good to me.

jpalamar
02-21-2012, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't waste your money on a TB, catback, or fuel upgrades. The TB will at best give you slightly better throttle response but since your an auto anyway it doesn't matter. Catback won't give you any power gains and is costly. I would personally spend $200 and just get a really good muffler and tip and have that welded in. The fuel upgrade won't do a thing because you won't max that system out anytime soon.

Zaior
02-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't waste your money on a TB, catback, or fuel upgrades. The TB will at best give you slightly better throttle response but since your an auto anyway it doesn't matter. Catback won't give you any power gains and is costly. I would personally spend $200 and just get a really good muffler and tip and have that welded in. The fuel upgrade won't do a thing because you won't max that system out anytime soon.

Thanks for the tip on the muffler I might do that instead! However the fuel upgrade is almost necessary on my car. It's a known problem among Solara drivers, but the front 3 cylinders get almost 3 times the amount of fuel that the rear 3 cylinders get, or something like that. I am not sure what causes this but for about $50 dollars I can pick up the fuel upgrade that will even them out and apparently I will see about a 12 horsepower gain, from what other Auto Solara's are saying! And I have been hearing similar things from others about the TB, so thanks for saving me $200!

Zaior
02-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Really like how these look with lip kits, I have a mag with one as a readers ride that has a lip kit and it looks pretty damn good to me.

Yeah I personally love the look! and it will make the car look pretty low with my springs, I will try to find a Solara my color with a lip kit on it to post on here!

Zaior
02-21-2012, 08:46 AM
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/imag/toyota/solara1.jpg

AWD GS
02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
go balls out and VIP it

Zaior
02-21-2012, 08:55 AM
go balls out and VIP it

Lol I have talked to that guy on the Solara forums, he did the modding when it was a relatively new car. The suspension alone is worth more than my car... Hell 2 of those wheels are worth more than my car! lol but seriously on the suspension, wheels, and fender rolling, the guy spent close to like 5000$

Zaior
02-21-2012, 10:15 AM
So I have been talking to the guys on my forums, and told
Them I'm Only looking to Invest about another 2000$ in the car overall, and everyone was really
Pushing me to put out the money to get a s/c I can pick up a kit for about 1750$? And it'll put me at 276 whp
What do you guys think?

caldwell
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
I think S/C woulb be cool, but not practical doug... you would take the daily reliability out of the car IMO...

now my question is how much does it cost to convert to manual ??? - thats the real question !!!

boostedfury
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Remember it's not just a sc and done now you have to think of breaking axles or driveline components.

Go for a low cruiser that will turn heads and at most just clean up under the hood with some powder coating, billet caps if they make them for your car etc.

boostedfury
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Plus IMO, auto fwd and supercharger won't be extremely fun bc it will get old quick because you will want to shift then that's sourcing a 5spd swap when at that point just take the 2gs and buy an old 240, civic hatch etc and let that be the project, and keep the solara te daily and reliable!

Zaior
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I was trying to steer clear of going down the S/C path, but for the same price id be putting in headers catback undercrank pulley and any other bolt ons, I would have an extra 40 horsepower. But maybe I'll do what your saying Dante and pickup a 240 over the summer and have that as a winter project next year. Who knows for now I know I am getting my wheels and my catback soon! lol

Big_Jim
02-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Take the 2k and put it towards a better platform.

Zaior
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Take the 2k and put it towards a better platform.

A lot of people keep trying to tell me that, but I am set. I love the look of this car too much, I mean if I could somehow fit the Supra motor in here I would be set for the rest of my life. I fell in love with the body of it over the past 2 weeks

jpalamar
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
You should get a Sublime Green Charger.

Zaior
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM

lol i actually think i get this

Zaior
02-21-2012, 12:49 PM

I am pretty set on my ideas for the car! Its just I have conflicting ideas being thrown at me from the two forums. You guys are saying to make it look good, while the Solara Guys are trying to say I should make it faster. Its hard to find a middle ground to please you guys, them, and most importantly myself!

The01Cav
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I am pretty set on my ideas for the car! Its just I have conflicting ideas being thrown at me from the two forums. You guys are saying to make it look good, while the Solara Guys are trying to say I should make it faster. Its hard to find a middle ground to please you guys, them, and most importantly myself!

Plain and simple, it's your car do what you're comfortable with doing. If you wanna go ape**** on this car and mod it like crazy then rock on with it. If you just wanna do a couple small things to it and call it a day, then go with that idea too. It's your car and your decision as to what you want to do with it. I think it would be neat to see this car modded as it's not another car that you see a whole bunch of that have been modded.

caldwell
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Plain and simple, it's your car do what you're comfortable with doing. If you wanna go ape**** on this car and mod it like crazy then rock on with it. If you just wanna do a couple small things to it and call it a day, then go with that idea too. It's your car and your decision as to what you want to do with it. I think it would be neat to see this car modded as it's not another car that you see a whole bunch of that have been modded.

^^^^^^^^ - this...

Doug, the middle ground here is the following...

Simple N/A Bolt Ons / Rims-Tires / Suspension Work = Clean status

Zaior
02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
^^^^^^^^ - this...

Doug, the middle ground here is the following...

Simple N/A Bolt Ons / Rims-Tires / Suspension Work = Clean status

Thats what Im gonna do! and my lip kit... gotta have my lip kit

caldwell
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
it seems like we are repeating everything today lol hahahhahahahaa...

Zaior
02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
it seems like we are repeating everything today lol hahahhahahahaa...

Yea so far we have established my goal is to be clean, to have a lip kit, and that my name is doug. Good job everyone! lol!

boostedfury
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Good I like Danny's plan, skip the charger and save that money for a future project car! Boom!

Zaior
02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Dante, I like your idea of powdercoating the engine bay too! How much did it cost to do something similar to yours? Obviously I dont have as many parts that need to be painted, but something similar would be awesome!

caldwell
02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
worry about the " performance " parts first - engine bay dress up later...

Bdub215
02-22-2012, 10:35 PM
worry about the " performance " parts first - engine bay dress up later...

Whats with the qutotations? They're are actually performance parts for the Camry platform.

Zaior
02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Whats with the qutotations? They're are actually performance parts for the Camry platform.

Yeah I was talking to him not to long ago he was just referring to how they don't do too much for our car.

Anyway!

Getting wheels soon! and after that Lightweight Crank Pulley

Zaior
02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Today I am finishing my drop. I already have the lowered springs in the front two, I am putting them in the back two around 1pm today. The majority of the people that have posted in here have my cell #, so hit me up if you wanna stop by :) Pictures will be uploaded later this evening!

caldwell
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
the quotes was intended for the ( springs / exhaust / pulleys etc etc ) get those done first before you started dressing up the engine bay... that was what i was trying to say

Zaior
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I think S/C woulb be cool, but not practical doug... you would take the daily reliability out of the car IMO...

now my question is how much does it cost to convert to manual ??? - thats the real question !!!

I am looking into it right now, about 3000$ to buy the parts. And if i found a parts car it depends how cheap i could find someone to help me!

Edit: Actually I just read some reviews of people that did it on solaraguy.com apparently you can see gains of up to 35 horsepower, and i can get it done now for about $2500 for parts AND labor from a guy on my website. Apparently the 5-speed stock 1/4 mile is only .5 more than a S/C auto

caldwell
02-23-2012, 05:06 PM
manual swap !!!

Zaior
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
manual swap !!!

LOL! I am considering it.. I mean they never made the Luxury model in a 5 speed so it would be unique, plus (I dont understand how) they put out 35 whp more! I would be 1 of 20 something people that have done the swap on the SLE model. And there is a kit to do it for $1800 from the "go-to" guy for all Solara work lol.

Zaior
02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Heres a Picture of it now that its all lowered! Ill get a better one up soon, it was kinda dark out!

russiankid
02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
LOL! I am considering it.. I mean they never made the Luxury model in a 5 speed so it would be unique, plus (I dont understand how) they put out 35 whp more! I would be 1 of 20 something people that have done the swap on the SLE model. And there is a kit to do it for $1800 from the "go-to" guy for all Solara work lol.

Well you put on more whp because you shave off a lot of weight. An automatic transmission is a big hydraulic pump where as a manual box is just gears and bearings. When I swapped my old BMW it was ridiculous how much the auto weight compared to the 5-speed. I couldn't pick the auto up myself, where as the 5-speed I could carry it around no problem.

Zaior
02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Well you put on more whp because you shave off a lot of weight. An automatic transmission is a big hydraulic pump where as a manual box is just gears and bearings. When I swapped my old BMW it was ridiculous how much the auto weight compared to the 5-speed. I couldn't pick the auto up myself, where as the 5-speed I could carry it around no problem.

Yeah I know its crazy! Well kept 5 speeds have been known to give S/C'd Autos a good run, and in a quarter mile the time difference is only.5 seconds... so if i end up doing the swap, I am definitely going to go on and finish this car and drive it for awhile! I mean for around $4000 dollars I can be pushing close to or over 300WHP. (1800 for swap, 1500 for S/C, 1000 for brand new 3.3L engine over my stock 3.0)

Zaior
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Now that its lowered I got my wheels coming soon!

pearly11WRX
02-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Can you explain to me how you gain horsepower by reducing weight? Are you talking about horsepower-to-weight ratio? I'd even give you a gain in acceleration, however if your magically gaining horsepower by reducing weight, you've just invented a new form of physics. You gain horsepower by increasing air (e.g. Forced induction) or fuel (or both) in a mechanical engine.

Maybe your referring to a gain in quarter mile times (~0.1 sec/100 lbs)? Just trying to wrap my head around your science.

Zaior
02-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Can you explain to me how you gain horsepower by reducing weight? Are you talking about horsepower-to-weight ratio? I'd even give you a gain in acceleration, however if your magically gaining horsepower by reducing weight, you've just invented a new form of physics. You gain horsepower by increasing air (e.g. Forced induction) or fuel (or both) in a mechanical engine.

Maybe your referring to a gain in quarter mile times (~0.1 sec/100 lbs)? Just trying to wrap my head around your science.

To be honest I have no clue! Thats just what the guys on my forums said that I can expect to see those kinda gains!

Anyway I got some good news and bad news. I know I JUST said that I am not planning on getting rid of this car, but if I dont mod the car anymore my dad said that after graduation he would give me 5k towards a new car. So I am going to put on the catback and drive it while I save up and hopefully buy something nice in the summer! I am still gonna do a few cosmetic things to make the car look as clean as possible though!

russiankid
02-26-2012, 02:20 AM

I think the way you see it is only wight reduction, what I am referring to is that if you take out a big hydraulic pump and instead put in a mechanical gearbox onto the motor, you're reducing the drag on the motor. Yes the automatic weights more, which puts more load on the motor to move the car in general and swapping to a 5-speed which sheds some weight and takes load off the motor, it will only help acceleration.

pearly11WRX
02-26-2012, 03:51 AM
Well you put on more whp because you shave off a lot of weight.

I think the way you see it is only wight reduction, what I am referring to is that if you take out a big hydraulic pump and instead put in a mechanical gearbox onto the motor, you're reducing the drag on the motor. Yes the automatic weights more, which puts more load on the motor to move the car in general and swapping to a 5-speed which sheds some weight and takes load off the motor, it will only help acceleration.

I agree with you on what your trying to say, but what I am saying is that you stated it was the weight reduction that netted a horsepower increase. The principals at work for the horsepower increase are due to pressures from the hydrolic operation of the gearbox. These pressures lead to increased frictions and thus directly impacting the horsepower output of the engine. It is actually the torque converter that is to blame for this :mad::mad:. Oh well, not to get off-topic but I just wanted to make sure!

schaffer
02-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Just drive the damn thing! If my dad was going to give me 5 grand towards a new car the only money I'd be putting into the car would be for gas and oil changes.

jpalamar
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Your gaining HP from the manual swap because there is less drivetrain loss. Thats all. W weifht reduction isn't more .power, its just better acceleration.

300 HP in this car is gonna suck and its going to cost you way more to make he car function then $4000. I'm talking tires, suspension, lsd, exhaust, inter, ect. It adds to way fast.

russiankid
02-27-2012, 12:49 AM
I agree with you on what your trying to say, but what I am saying is that you stated it was the weight reduction that netted a horsepower increase. The principals at work for the horsepower increase are due to pressures from the hydrolic operation of the gearbox. These pressures lead to increased frictions and thus directly impacting the horsepower output of the engine. It is actually the torque converter that is to blame for this :mad::mad:. Oh well, not to get off-topic but I just wanted to make sure!

Bad wording on my part. :o

Zaior
02-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Your gaining HP from the manual swap because there is less drivetrain loss. Thats all. W weifht reduction isn't more .power, its just better acceleration.

300 HP in this car is gonna suck and its going to cost you way more to make he car function then $4000. I'm talking tires, suspension, lsd, exhaust, inter, ect. It adds to way fast.

Yeah I talked to my dad about all that stuff yesterday and thats why he told me to just put on a catback and drive it how it is until the end of the summer

supraguy17
02-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Looks like you have some good plans for this man, I had a 2001 slolara sle before I got my eclipse. Have you talked to Gabe Potter at all, he's like the go to guy in the solara world, I actually live about an hour from him, garage is insane. Trent's triplecharged solara is mind boggling, and gabes toyota aristo is to die for. If you have any questions on your hybrid motor, ask gabe.

heres his facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/GLPMotorsports

Zaior
02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Looks like you have some good plans for this man, I had a 2001 slolara sle before I got my eclipse. Have you talked to Gabe Potter at all, he's like the go to guy in the solara world, I actually live about an hour from him, garage is insane. Trent's triplecharged solara is mind boggling, and gabes toyota aristo is to die for. If you have any questions on your hybrid motor, ask gabe.

heres his facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/GLPMotorsports

Yeah I have talked to him, and dont get me wrong I love this car I love how it looks, and the enginerring behind Trents Solara is crazy.. But the fact that with a twin turbo set up, a supercharger, meth injection, catback, headers, intake and overall 50k worth of modifications the car only makes about 425hp is sad lol

Rally Sport
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah I have talked to him, and dont get me wrong I love this car I love how it looks, and the enginerring behind Trents Solara is crazy.. But the fact that with a twin turbo set up, a supercharger, meth injection, catback, headers, intake and overall 50k worth of modifications the car only makes about 425hp is sad lol

At least you realize how difficult your platform is to modify then. Drop it, nice wheel and a cutback and drive it into the ground, you can worry about something faster/ more modifiable later.

Zaior
02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
At least you realize how difficult your platform is to modify then. Drop it, nice wheel and a cutback and drive it into the ground, you can worry about something faster/ more modifiable later.

lol yeah I know, I already dropped it, I blacked out the center cap of the stock wheels and it actually looks pretty good, and I am putting a catback on it in the warmer weather, my dad already ordered it, so I am just waiting until I can put it on. After that I am saving up for something Turbo, Not FWD, and Stick!

Rally Sport
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
lol yeah I know, I already dropped it, I blacked out the center cap of the stock wheels and it actually looks pretty good, and I am putting a catback on it in the warmer weather, my dad already ordered it, so I am just waiting until I can put it on. After that I am saving up for something Turbo, Not FWD, and Stick!

aka a wrx :mrgreen:

Zaior
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
aka a wrx :mrgreen:

Lol well Its like 6-8 months down the line so I never know what will be available at the time, and how much I will have saved up, but Id like to save up and Finance an STI. again not saying im getting it especially with insurance rates, but my dad loves them. For now I am gonna just drive it, treat it perfectly and try to get 6k for it in the summer.. lol Wish me luck!

caldwell
02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
possibly easier said then done ? 6K

WRX / 350z / 3 series BMW / MazdaSpeed6 / Mustang

Bdub215
02-28-2012, 08:36 PM

that car supposedly is setup for 7-800hp and GLP just built the motor and are breaking it in very slowly. Check this out.
This is a boosted camry making 730WHP still on Stock Cams. Doubt 50 K has been invested but i'd go for at least $10K. mod list is on the youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7xIEb3nFU

Zaior
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
that car supposedly is setup for 7-800hp and GLP just built the motor and are breaking it in very slowly. Check this out.
This is a boosted camry making 730WHP still on Stock Cams. Doubt 50 K has been invested but i'd go for at least $10K. mod list is on the youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7xIEb3nFU

Gabe himself said it has over 50k invested.. and its not that I dont want to do all of this to my car, its that I am 18 and I need something I can mod and still expect to be practical reliable and suck on gas... Believe it or not on the highway this thing only has like 23 mpg. Really isnt that great

caldwell
02-29-2012, 03:18 AM
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=78390929&listingRecNum=2&criteria=prMx%3D21000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%2 6alMdId%3D21712%26mkId%3D20015%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId %3D21712%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-transTypeId%26zc%3D19076%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26alM kId%3D20015%26transTypeId%3D28112%26rpp%3D50%26fee dSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Yea its a V6, but its brand new and great price... plus for v6's they are pretty quick, and good on gas...

Intake / TB / Headers / X-pipe / CBE / 93 BAMA Tune - Local to us = 300-315 WHP....

like I said its a V6, but it sounds sick IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCKqAHShUZo&feature=related -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAHDHUjHUw&feature=related

*** I personally would consider buying this, and im not one to buy V6 muscle cars lol

Great after market support, and reasonably priced upgrades also...

Zaior
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=78390929&listingRecNum=2&criteria=prMx%3D21000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%2 6alMdId%3D21712%26mkId%3D20015%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId %3D21712%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-transTypeId%26zc%3D19076%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26alM kId%3D20015%26transTypeId%3D28112%26rpp%3D50%26fee dSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Yea its a V6, but its brand new and great price... plus for v6's they are pretty quick, and good on gas...

Intake / TB / Headers / X-pipe / CBE / 93 BAMA Tune - Local to us = 300-315 WHP....

like I said its a V6, but it sounds sick IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCKqAHShUZo&feature=related -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAHDHUjHUw&feature=related

*** I personally would consider buying this, and im not one to buy V6 muscle cars lol

Great after market support, and reasonably priced upgrades also...

lol I am not getting another N/A 6 cylinder car either a v8 or a Turbo-4 or Turbo-6

russiankid
02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
How is this thing 23mpg highway? Something isn't right, my truck weights 5300lbs and has a 5.3L V8 and I get 20mpg highway.

Zaior
02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
How is this thing 23mpg highway? Something isn't right, my truck weights 5300lbs and has a 5.3L V8 and I get 20mpg highway.

No clue, thats what Its rated at but with mostly city driving, I manage to average about 24mpg.

russiankid
02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
So it is rate at 23mpg city or highway? If highway, that is very odd. If that is city, that is good.

Zaior
02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
So it is rate at 23mpg city or highway? If highway, that is very odd. If that is city, that is good.

18 city 26 highway
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/15842.shtml

But I know that I averaged about 34mpg on my drive to New Jersey last summer. So these numbers dont strike me as being too acurate

russiankid
02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Hm you're leaping 8mpg over the sticker, never seen that before. Surprised it gets that crappy of mileage tho, my dad has a 2011 Venza V6 and it averages 26mpg highway and it is heavier.

Zaior
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Hm you're leaping 8mpg over the sticker, never seen that before. Surprised it gets that crappy of mileage tho, my dad has a 2011 Venza V6 and it averages 26mpg highway and it is heavier.

I don't know, I mean the camry with the same engine, and the es300 with the same engine, and in the same year. both averaged close to 10 mpg over it in both aspects.. I have no idea what happened lol

russiankid
02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Well we now know where Toyota slacked, haha.

Zaior
02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Well we now know where Toyota slacked, haha.

lol yepp, anyway I just put it up for sale on here and on craigslist! lol go check it out!