PDA

View Full Version : 1g dsm blow off valve question

Blackv6Stang
03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
My friend has a plymouth laser...which i believveee is the same as or similar to the 1st gen. eclipse/talons. he doesnt belong to any forums or anything and so i figured i'd ask you guys for him.

1.Does the 16v intercooled turbo plymouth laser need to have a recirculating blow off vavle?
2.Which blow off valves would you recommend?

thanks guys.

Driven
03-16-2006, 09:44 PM
1.Does the 16v intercooled turbo plymouth laser need to have a recirculating blow off vavle?

yes

2.Which blow off valves would you recommend?

thanks guys.

Keep the 1G, one of the best BOV's out there.

Blackv6Stang
03-16-2006, 09:53 PM
...so dont change anything and just have it stock? (he wants the sound so thats why he wants a new bov)

Driven
03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Get a K&N filter kit (not just the drop in, the one that replaces the air box). That should make it louder.

From a drivability and reliability standpoint, the 1G is one of the best BOV's out there. It will also handle over 20psi before leaking (most do at least). You should be able to hear it some with the filter kit.

Blackv6Stang
03-16-2006, 10:57 PM
now i took a look at it and you keep calling it a bov but its just a bpv right? and from what i've noticed there is no sound at all

Driven
03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
The two terms are used interchangeably quite often. Most DSM'ers call them all BOV's.

If he gets a K&N, he should be able to hear it. If he gets rid of one of the best BOV's out there for it to be louder, he's a moron (no offense).

2point4DSM
03-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Agreed. Leave the stock BOV alone. Tell your buddy to get a metal intake pipe and K&N cone filter. That should make the BOV louder. Otherwise, he needs to look into getting a VPC if he wants to disconnect it and have it blow to atmosphere and be really loud.

Blackv6Stang
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
thanks a lot guys i'll let him know

EvlEgl
03-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I love my Blow Off...But i'm vented so it's better!!!

1g BOV FTW

2point4DSM
03-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I love my Blow Off...But i'm vented so it's better!!!

1g BOV FTW

Your car can vent the BOV to atmosphere cause it doesn't have the stock MAF.

EvlEgl
03-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah I Know...I was just simply saying The sound was nice...and I don't loose performance or have it running like crap Because of the GM MAF.

SexyDSM95
03-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Trust what these guys say, stock 1g BOV's are a sure bet. They now sell kits to where you can crank up the boost to 22-24 psi with no leaks. I've been throug the Turbo XS H-34 and that leaked bad. Currently I have the Greddy Type-S (venting) and I am getting annoyed/tired of the "pshhh" sound. Trying to find a 1g BOV currently to swap it with.

koho2731
03-31-2006, 08:17 AM
I have a HKS SSQV recirculated and it sound great, but I'd would still stay with the stock Comperssor Bypass Valve unless you just like to spend money on things you don't need

On Sale
04-04-2006, 02:13 AM
on my 2g, i had a uicp, extreme psi intake, 1g bov, and it was quite loud. but then i took the recirc. tube off, and it was crazy loud and ran perfect. i dont know why, but i had no idle problems, and it didnt stall when i let the RPM's drop, it did for the first day or so, but then it stopped doing it. i vented for almost 8 months and never had a problem.

TalonTsi97
04-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Some cars run fine with being unrecirculated and others run really bad. I took mine off to see how loud of a differance it was because my type s was already loud enough. I took it off and the car ran like **** and i changed it back. My friend ran his unrecirculated for bout 5+ months and was all good then all of a sudden the symptoms just happened and the car ran really really bad till he got a new intake and corrected it.
I just dont understand how loud people want it because most of all the recirculated ones i heard always sound good/loud enough of any type of bov.

peteyturbo
04-06-2006, 08:29 PM
You mean, you didn't have a problem that you cared about, because you liked " the whistle go woo woo" noise.on my 2g, i had a uicp, extreme psi intake, 1g bov, and it was quite loud. but then i took the recirc. tube off, and it was crazy loud and ran perfect. i dont know why, but i had no idle problems, and it didnt stall when i let the RPM's drop, it did for the first day or so, but then it stopped doing it. i vented for almost 8 months and never had a problem.

EMX5636
05-03-2006, 06:53 PM
2g's seem to not care as much running the bov to atmosphere. Agree with TalonTSI in the fact that my 90 gsx ran like crap type-s open, but my buddies 91 tsi runs fine. Now, just rockin the stock 1G recirc'd.

Justin W