PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter Question

HickRocket1258
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I have a question about if there is anything I would need to do if I were to replace the torque converter with an aftermarket one. Not sure which one yet but should I worry about anything or is there anything I should know about. I have an AODE trans. I am looking to do the torque converter and shift kit for it. It is for my mustang by the way. Thanks for any info.

2point4DSM
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
If the aftermarket torque converter is stalled higher then the tranny is going to make more heat. Heat is the number one killer of auto trannies so you are going to need a bigger cooler.

Gorilla Unit 33
03-15-2006, 08:49 PM
yeah a tranny cooler is like #1 priority what stage and which shift kit you thinking of buyin rob?

HickRocket1258
03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure what stall converter I'm getting but I'm thinking about the Trans-go shift kit recommended by this one guy who made the trannies basically. I figured I would have to beef everything up with the trans and all. I was going to get it done by this one guy at the track who does performance transmissions. I'm sort of trying to go for a sleeper mustang idea.

carazyguy
03-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Save your money don't buy a higher stall torque converter. Put a Superior Shift Kit it and put a set of drag radials on your car. When you launch at the track, pull the ebrake up, and and slowly power brake the car until the pedal is pretty much to the floor, that shows you your stall speed which should be around 2800. If you have sticky tires and leave from there you'll love it. I already did a 01 Mustang Shift kit and taught him how to launch it and he's very happy.

SilverTurboRidin
03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Unless you got crazy amounts of money into your motor a torque convert is useless. Get into a shift kit, and maybe a locker...and go from there....GEARS too.