PDA

View Full Version : Is AT as crappy as i think it is?

GLHWCU
03-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay to start off with i know i am a moron.....Alright so i have a 2004 civic lx which does its job. Problem is......automatic. Now i truthfully dont have a huge cash flow from my job so the whole tranny swap and all will not happen. Now i have a short ram air in and thats all the mods. What can i do to help the performance but also by not having to well win the lottery to do it. Thanks in advance for help.

smoger
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
gotta pay to play, especially when you start with a grocery getter

either pony up a ton of money to make it fast, or just get a car thats easier to start with.

GLHWCU
03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
ha, figured i would get that, thanks for the realization check smoger

BlackBulletTSi
03-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Look for used parts on different boards, find other peoples stuff and just build up over time ya know

GLHWCU
03-15-2006, 05:00 PM
yeah i hear ya, what do you think i should throw in there tho?

teh DIRT
03-15-2006, 05:11 PM
at sucks. ive driven one for two years and i absolutely hate it.

id say dont waste your time.

GLHWCU
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
yeah i know it sucks but i mean its what im stuck with and going to be stuck with some i have come to realization of my suckyness (if thats a word)

teh DIRT
03-15-2006, 06:41 PM
could trade it in for an MT...id do that.

WRXD
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
if you are serious about modding something like a civic...you GOTTA get the MT...especially with something like a honda where your power will be in the upper end of the RPMs. My girlfriend refused to get a MT and learn to drive it, now 6 months after she got her 05 civic..she complains because it doesnt 'feel fast'...she is already eyein up the RSX-S for her next car.

there are a few people on this board that I need to learn this same lesson :-p

2point4DSM
03-15-2006, 07:40 PM
First off you have an awesome daily driver. That car is probably going to be the most reliable car you ever own... as long as it is stock. Do regular tune-up things to it like OEM or NGK spark plug wires and NGK spark plugs, cap, rotor, valve lash adjustment, K&N drop in air filter, synthetic fluids, etc.

Then buy another car to mod and beat on. There are quite a few cars that go up for sale every once in a while on here that are affordable and a lot more mod friendly. And if you break it you won't have to worry about not being able to make it to work.

Otherwise, the best mods to your car would probably be a nice set of wheels and tires and brakes.

An exhaust is a waste of time and is not worth the hassle of getting pulled over. As long as the rest of the motor is still making about the same horsepower an aftermarket exhaust might just hurt performance.

teh DIRT
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
you could buy my car? haha.

but seriously, its for sale

GLHWCU
03-15-2006, 10:12 PM
what you sellin?

teh DIRT
03-15-2006, 10:13 PM
1996 impreza "rs".

automatic

2000MRDC2
03-19-2006, 12:50 AM
The motor is the d17 the only problems is that d17s dont really respond to bolt ons at all even with intake, header, and cat-back u might get like 2whp, thats the problems with the new civics. check out www.7thgencivic.com they have a lot of information in the forums there. Also If u really want power and have money do a k20a2 (RSX-S) Swap with the 6spd tranny and ull have yourself a badass sleeper.

ej20wrx123
03-19-2006, 10:03 AM
i'am driving a AT accord now while my motor is going in the galant....it sucks. I would not even bother modding it and save up for a better car to mod.

blkbomber01
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
too bad you dont have a 3g eclipse.... i have an auto to and they have a ton of auto trans crap for it, stall conv, diffs, etc... but like everyone says, go with another car or do the swap