PDA

View Full Version : engine management for 05 sti

jons05sti
03-14-2006, 10:10 PM
looking to buy an engine management for my car. dont know if i should buy a stand alone or a piggy back system. any help would be great

DaveSTi
03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Cobb AP. You can get the Street Tuner then to do tweaks yourself, or just get a Protune and not worry about it.

teh DIRT
03-15-2006, 12:25 PM
standalone! w00000t
hydra

aem ems

S4toSTI
03-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Well unless you wanna drop 2k for the hydra then about 500 to get it tuned i would go piggyback thats just me.

05CGMSTi
03-15-2006, 01:49 PM
+1 for Cobb AP. You can always upgrade to the Street Tuner later on. That will be my next mod......

Vypurr
03-15-2006, 01:53 PM
We like Hydra :)

S4toSTI
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
You should lend him the dough for it then.

sisforsurfing
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
If you don't know which one to get, odds are you'd be better off with the AccessPort since it's so simple. It's plug-and-play, pretty much the easiest power mod you can do to your car.

D Money
03-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Everyone says cobb, damn! What's wrong wit EcuTek and U-tec?

WRXD
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Everyone says cobb, damn! What's wrong wit EcuTek and U-tec?

They cost more (after adding a custom tune in there). They arent as user friendly.

TROLL
03-15-2006, 09:04 PM
i'll just add in that if you have no idea what EMS you want you should probably stick to somethign thats very user friendly right now, or do more research.

--the AP is plug and play and is really ok for 'beginners' to just use without knowing much about them. of course it is an off the shelf map and although it will be a nice improvement over stock, it wont compare with a custom tune. you could always have it protuned at an authorized tuner later on for more improvement.

--you could also look into an ecutek which is a reflash that you have done at a certified tuner. you take your car to their dyno and they flash the software onto your ecu and give you your tune. its a little more expensive than the AP's base map but you'll have a custom tune in the end which will be better.

--the utec is another option. i would recommend that you either have this tuned right away by a professional, or it is also acceptable to run a base map on it and monitor it yourself IF you know your way around your car and a little bit about tuning as well. further, i highly recommend that you have this system tuned by a professional and do not rely on the base maps long term since they just really arent very good/safe IMO to be used for more than a couple months while you're getting the bugs out of your setup.

there are other options as well but they are even more advanced and costly so i think these are the 3 you should consider. just remember that the tune is far more important than the engine management, any of the above will be good as long as they have a good tune on them.
opinions may vary...

SinistiR
03-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I really see no reason to get an AP if you are within a resonable distance of getting properly tuned. The APs have to be safe for every intake, fuel, and exhaust combo across the country and they leave alot on the table. In my opinion the APs are for people in the middle of nowhere with no chance of getting the car on a dyno or properly tuned. Here is a link comparing an off the self AP stg 2 93 map to a stock street tuner map, to me tuning the street tuner map. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945530 AP map 224 whp, street tuner map 237 whp, and a tuned street tuner map 245. That is on a 02 wrx with normal bolt ons. If you purchase an AP new its going to be $650 for an STi, then add Street tuner on top of that now you are up to $1100 before tuning and dont have as much access to the ecu as with a EcuTek flash. An EcuTek reflash can be purchased from most shops for $650-950, and that will usually include all dyno and any road tuning that is needed. You will then have a tune that is customized for your car.

IIdiceII
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
AP's are awesome. Best mod i ever did for my car. And I can get a protune within 20 minutes of me. I spent 475 dollars and went straight to stage 2. Now if I want, I can get a custom tune. I highy suggest the AP if you want to just get some nice easy power. But if your thinking about major upgrades and tuning, Id go with a utec or ecutek

HuggyBear
03-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Give Al at Dynoflash a call. I highly suggest him tuning your factory EMU using Ecutek. Al is a good friend of mine and does wonders on tuning.

EIXVO
03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Go U-TEC

DanFromPA
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
What upgrade do you have? Also, how comfortable R U with tuning?
There are many products out there but it also upto what you intend to do with it...

The off the shelf tune like AP ACCESS port is good if you match the parts with their recommendation.. But, if you go outside the boundaries of the tune, you will not like it... Other ECU MGMT like UTEC, Hydra will require some understanding of how the ECU is running and also be familiar with the aftermarket parts you are selecting for the upgrade.... Sometimes, it is easier to duplicate someone eleses setup to begin with but it all depends on your knoweledge and willing to put some time into your car!!!

Dan from PA

DaveSTi
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I just got protuned yesterday by Doug from TopSpeed (the best STi tuner). I've been using the Cobb Stage 2 OTS map. It made 282whp running rich until the top where I ran out of fuel pump. I had the shop install a Walbro 255. Walked out with 306whp, 341wtq. My only power mods are a k&n typhoon, helix catted downpipe, and a ebay catback. The Cobb is the way to go, IMO.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/776/998/35177.jpg

300wtq before 3000 rpms.