PDA

View Full Version : First modifications

1320wrx
03-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I recently baught a 2002 WRX with 44k on it. I installed a short shifter last week. I am looking for more power. What kind of mods should i start with. Should i do intake and exhaust. or should i get a different recirc. valve and a FMIC. Eventaully i want to do all this but i need something to start with. One more thing what is that UTEC thing that everyone talks about?? :screwy:

1fastrex
03-13-2006, 11:48 PM
definatly get some exhaust uppipe and a turbo back. stay away from the intake its a waste of money and will cause more problems than its worth (unless u wana rice it out). Than either get UTEC or cobb accesport, Both are computer remapping programs that remap the fuel and the boost and iginiton timing and more, cobbs maps are preset but you can buy the street tunner and tweak the maps or just get a protune from a local vendor and have a custom tune. Like utec which allows you to completly customize everything

TROLL
03-13-2006, 11:50 PM
i've got a turboback for sale if you're interested... it is a perrin downpipe and a greddy evo 2 catback... get in touch if you want to talk more about it.
i'd also recommend an uppipe although that install is a bit more involved.
after that if you want more then look to engine management... there are plenty of guys here who can help you with that kinda stuff or you can search on clubwrx.net for 'first modifications' as well to get some ideas.

teh DIRT
03-13-2006, 11:54 PM
i say get a rear swaybar....but thats just me.

WRXD
03-13-2006, 11:57 PM
I recently baught a 2002 WRX with 44k on it. I installed a short shifter last week. I am looking for more power. What kind of mods should i start with. Should i do intake and exhaust. or should i get a different recirc. valve and a FMIC. Eventaully i want to do all this but i need something to start with. One more thing what is that UTEC thing that everyone talks about?? :screwy:

Welcome to TST! There are plenty of subies on here so you will have access to pretty much any info you could want. To answer a few of your questions, to get more power from a stock setup, you are definitely going to want the car to breathe better, which means at least a catback exhaust. The stock WRX intake is rumored to be more than adequate for power applications up to 300whp. An intake will make your turbo spool sound louder and your stock bypass valve louder...but thats about it, it doesnt add any real power. Same with an aftermarket bpv or bov (blow off valve), they sound cool, but dont add anything in fact some people claim they actually make the car idle roughly. A cold air intake (CAI) is pretty much universally considered a no-no due to the fact that it will mess up the MAF sensor and make you run rich (too much gas).

If you are serious about power, you are gonna want to go with an aftermarket engine management system. This is where things like Utec, ECUtek, and AccessPort come in. These systems tap into the ECU in your car and reprogram the software to run your car at a higher performance level by tweaking engine timing etc. I highly reccomend the COBB accessport as it doesnt require a custom tune like a lot of the other systems do (more$$$) and it 'grows' with your mods. Check out www.cobbtuning.com

The cobb sytem comes in stages being
(stock 165-170whp)
Stage 1 (190whp) Accessport only
Stage 2 (225whp) Accessport and turboback exhaust

there are a lot of options for pure performance mods so shop around and dont be afriad to ask questions.

D Money
03-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Turboback, up-pipe, and a tune whether it be cobb accessport, EcuTek, or U-tec. Then when you want more power either a 16g or vf34 would be nice, and ofcourse all the supporting mods such as i/c, injectors, fuel pump and retune.

555RS
03-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Id do rear sway bar, endlinks, and better tires.

mostasteless
03-14-2006, 09:35 AM
If you want more power I would recommend getting engine management first (accessport, UTEC, ect) Not only will it give you power to begin with you will be able to get the most out of any future mod. I would also suggest new tires, the stock re92's are not that great.

the mike
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Start saving for trans gears.:wink:

I would go COBB stage 2, turboback and AccessPort.
Upgrade your tires, get a rear swaybar.

Have fun.

Intercooled T
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
don't listen to mostasteless, his car is WAY slow...j/k

WRX27
03-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Welcome! I would go New Tires, rear sway bar, uppipe, downpipe and catback exhaust than accessport. By than the MOD bug will have you :wink:

dubrx
03-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Depends what type of power you're looking for. If you want a smooth power band I'd go for an Cobb Accessport and then get yourself a 3" turbo back exhaust. This'll cost ya around $1400 - $1700 bucks new.

One setup that I really like is an uppipe, intercooler hoses, and a lightened pulley. Its a cheap combo to throw together and you'll see a HUGE difference in spool. A friend of mine ran with this combo on his '02 when I was running Cobb stage one with just a catback on my '03 and I coulnd't believe how quickly his boost would come on compared to mine. Neck snapping accelleration... all for as little as $400... buy the stuff used or even knock the cat out of your own uppipe and you can do this one really cheap.

WRXD
03-14-2006, 06:25 PM
This'll cost ya around $1400 - $1700 bucks new.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Accessport $600 (new)
good 3" bellmouth dp/midpipe $250 (new)
good catback $500 (new)

$1350....

I dont know where you are getting $1700!!!!!

plus these parts can be had for close for $800-$900 if you buy used

dubrx
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Accessport $600 (new)
good 3" bellmouth dp/midpipe $250 (new)
good catback $500 (new)

$1350....

I dont know where you are getting $1700!!!!!

plus these parts can be had for close for $800-$900 if you buy used

lol, sorry, $1350 to $1700 :mrgreen:

Cobbs own packages run from $1565 to $1715 for an '02, not including shipping.

UnderPoweredRS
03-14-2006, 09:04 PM

bov= useless on a wrx the stock bpv is good for like 20psi if you crush it alittle.
Intake= useless on a othewise stock wrx
fmic= useless on stock turbo

I would start with a perrin uppipe or at least any uncatted uppipe the STi uppipe is uncatted. then i would go with an uncatted bellmouth downpipe and an AP.
Other great mods besides power adders are new tires(stockers are not so great) and a rear sway bar.

HuffRex
03-14-2006, 09:11 PM
JDM Motor swap hehee

1320wrx
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
if i got that cobb accessport will i gain horsepower from it or will i have to do other mods to gain anything. also what do u have to do to install the accessport

dubrx
03-14-2006, 10:15 PM
if i got that cobb accessport will i gain horsepower from it or will i have to do other mods to gain anything. also what do u have to do to install the accessport

Yup, about 260hp... smooths out the power band too. it just basically plugs into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel.

Check out the site.. its got a user guide section:

http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport.html

WRXD
03-15-2006, 12:29 AM
lol, sorry, $1350 to $1700 :mrgreen:

Cobbs own packages run from $1565 to $1715 for an '02, not including shipping.

well....just because you can spend $1715 on an upgrade package doesnt mean you SHOULD...its common knowledge that cobb stuff is very expensive. Nowhere near $1700 is required to go stage 2...thats my point.

mostasteless
03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
don't listen to mostasteless, his car is WAY slow...j/k
The car is fine, it's the driver who's slow :finga:

Buster
03-25-2006, 02:42 AM
I have had my car since august this year, Right now im running with a heat wrapped STi up pipe, Wrapped HKS down pipe, Image performance catback and A greddy RS bov and the PERRIN manual boost controller and untuned its running a 13.2 from my stock 15.0 and ive spent about $900-$1,000. I would say thats a considerable amout of power for the money.

sesolcSTI
03-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Catless uppipe, catless downpipe (don't go hiflow cat, it will rob you of power and who really cares about the environment anyhow ftw), catback exhaust. Springs, rear sway, rear endlinks.

And top that all of with a Cobb Accessport for now, until you figure out what kind of power goals you are shooting for. And like mike said, you might want to have some money on the back burner for some type RA gears once you blow second out, haha. Good luck! :thumbup: