PDA

View Full Version : TrackDaze @ NJMP 6/30-7/1

oneday
05-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I just did my first event with TrackDaze.com (https://www.trackdaze.com/) down at Summit Shenandoah last weekend and was impressed with how relaxed and well run the event was. They offer students a lot of seat time and a lot of classroom time--more than any other HPDE I've been to. All the participants were very cool.

alwaysinboost and I will be instructing with them when they are at Thunderbolt on June 30 & July 1. (https://www.trackdaze.com/index.php?option=com_registrationpro&view=event&Itemid=81&did=19&shw_attendees=1) $380 for two days or $235 for one day. Each day gets you four 30 minute track sessions. I'm sure there will be a few other TST members getting schooled. This would be a great way to get some experience on track before heading to Pocono in July!

Nick 95 6sp
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Over the last few years I've heard many positive reports about the quality of TrackDaze track days. June 30 is too far off so I'm not sure I can make it...but I'll be on Thunderbolt this Tuesday and I was there on April 15 so I'm getting to know and love this track.

neo277
05-20-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm going to try to make it to this event. Thunderbolt looks like a fun track.

McVicker
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
The track is definitely fun. me and Jhnrx7 will probably be attending this event.

l337fpc
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
the trackdaze group is really good. I was at shenandoah with them, f'ing blast.

neo277
06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Just registered for Friday the 1st. my 1st hpde event. then pocono in July : )

Cant wait.

does anyone know what the db requirments are for this event? i couldnt find any info on Trackdaze website.

thanks

oneday
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Awesome. See you there...I can only do Friday now but am looking forward to it--haven't been on Thunderbolt since last spring!

Might not be any db limit at all...I don't see anything on the event details about it. If you can drive your car on the street you will be fine.

neo277
06-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Awesome. See you there...I can only do Friday now but am looking forward to it--haven't been on Thunderbolt since last spring!

Might not be any db limit at all...I don't see anything on the event details about it. If you can drive your car on the street you will be fine.

thanks, its street driven but i have an external wastegate with dumptube. :mrgreen: i should be ok.

are you instructing?

also i was thinking of bringing along 5-10gal of extra petrol, do they have an issue with filling up your own fuel at the track?

i wish i could do both days but i wanted to do the Pocono hpde so im saving up for that.

Nick 95 6sp
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Other than the "danger" of carrying fuel in your car, there's no problem. I've done it in the past. But they do have pumps at the track, both unleaded and 110 oct leaded racegas.

As far as open wg dump, based on some loud cars I've heard there you can't possibly have a noise issue.

oneday
06-13-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks, its street driven but i have an external wastegate with dumptube. :mrgreen: i should be ok.

You'll be fine.

are you instructing?
Yep...I'll have two students on Friday...and hopefully get out five or six sessions on my own.

also i was thinking of bringing along 5-10gal of extra petrol, do they have an issue with filling up your own fuel at the track?

You can bring your own fuel as long as it is stored in a proper fuel safe container. You can fill your car from personal containers with no issues, but if you want them to fill the containers from the pumps at the track then the jugs MUST be red and labeled as "For Gas Only" (or something to that affect). You can also have them pump gas for you into your car. NJMP has Sunoco 93, 100 and 110 on pumps...the 93 is $4.2X a gallon (I think...I put $35 in Saturday and it was more than 8 gallons).

neo277
06-13-2011, 04:40 PM
@ oneday. Thanks for the info. I have proper fuel storage tanks, Ill save some cash by bringing some shell 93 near me.

@ Nick 95 6sp. Thanks, are you gonna be running your supra?

Nick 95 6sp
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
...are you gonna be running your supra?

I haven't registered yet but I hope to clear out that Friday and register this week.

neo277
06-14-2011, 08:47 AM
I haven't registered yet but I hope to clear out that Friday and register this week.

Nice man, hope to see ya there

McVicker
06-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Nick, I think I met you at that fabspeed track day at NJMP earlier this year.

Both Jhnrx7 and myself signed up for this event :) +2 Rx-7s

Last time I was at the track it was $4.99 a gallon for 93.

Nick 95 6sp
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Dan...sure, I remember you and Jhnrx7 ...both very nice FD's! Are you guys registering for advanced group? That's what I have in mind.

I'm hoping and optimistic I'll be ready to register for this very soon. I have the day available but I need to take care of a small coolant leak on my front turbo. If it's as simple as it seems that should be a quick fix and I'll be good to go. But I hate to pay and register and then find out it's something more involved and I miss the day I paid for.

neo277
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi Dan...sure, I remember you and Jhnrx7 ...both very nice FD's! Are you guys registering for advanced group? That's what I have in mind.

I'm hoping and optimistic I'll be ready to register for this very soon. I have the day available but I need to take care of a small coolant leak on my front turbo. If it's as simple as it seems that should be a quick fix and I'll be good to go. But I hate to pay and register and then find out it's something more involved and I miss the day I paid for.

Hey Nick

Hope its a simple fix man, be good to have another tst member on the track.

z

Nick 95 6sp
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks, z. I hope to meet you there.

neo277
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks, z. I hope to meet you there.

Well be their early. Have to Leave pa by 4am.

Do you drive your car to the track or trailer it?

McVicker
06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Nick....I signed up for intermediate solo I believe. You met my other friend Rich, Jhnrx7 is another Rx-7 friend of mine haha. Hopefully they'll let me move up to advanced if needed. See ya there!

-Dan

Nick 95 6sp
06-15-2011, 11:03 PM
sorry, Dan...I'm pretty bad with names until they sink into my thick head...but looking forward to seeing you there, Bob :mrgreen: j/k bud...I figure the advanced group might be a better chance of being a more open track and I've been on this track a few times and know it decently well, and if any of the really fast guys come up on me I know how to stay out of their way.

z, yes I drive it to the track, always have for the last 10 years...it's a street car. From my house just west of City Line Ave to the track is one hour ....so I usually leave home about 6am. For you from Lehigh Valley is quite a bit longer trek. Good luck and hope to see you there.

chu
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I'll be at trackdaze this weekend with a bunch of friends. We're all driving Evos, so anyone who comes should stop by to say hello. We'll have a tent up, and drivers from a range of experience to answer questions. Hope you guys make it out!

neo277
06-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll be at trackdaze this weekend with a bunch of friends. We're all driving Evos, so anyone who comes should stop by to say hello. We'll have a tent up, and drivers from a range of experience to answer questions. Hope you guys make it out!

cool, good to meet other tst members there :)

Nick 95 6sp
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
hey z (neo277) and other guys,

Sadly, it looks like I won't be ready for this one. The last parts I need to reconnect my water cooling lines are being delivered Thursday and I doubt I can get it all hooked up and done in time to run on Friday. I don't want to use just any available "hacked up" lines since that is what led to my previous coolant leaks...it gets too damn hot around those two turbos.

neo277
06-29-2011, 11:36 AM
hey z (neo277) and other guys,

Sadly, it looks like I won't be ready for this one. The last parts I need to reconnect my water cooling lines are being delivered Thursday and I doubt I can get it all hooked up and done in time to run on Friday. I don't want to use just any available "hacked up" lines since that is what led to my previous coolant leaks...it gets too damn hot around those two turbos.

Hey Nick. that stinks man,

if you lived closer to me i'd help ya get them in Thursday night so you can run on Friday.

till next time then

Z

neo277
07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
was a great time yesterday, track daze is a great group and organized so well.

i cant wait for my next track day.

Here's a few pics my wife snapped.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/neo277/DSCN6340.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/neo277/DSCN6385.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/neo277/DSCN6378.jpg

Nick 95 6sp
07-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Glad you had a good day.

I'm sorry I missed this one, but I can't wait to hit that Thunderbolt track again.

neo277
07-02-2011, 03:53 PM
:-p[QUOTE=Nick 95 6sp;2012584]Glad you had a good day.

I'm sorry I missed this one, but I can't wait to hit that Thunderbolt track again.[/Q

Thunderbolt was great. Such a nice track.

Wish I did both days : )

SeikenFreak
07-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Hello

First post here. Wanted to ask you Neo if you had any issues at the track with your car? Or perhaps you talked to anyone else there running our boxer motor.

I was there on Thursday with the STI and at the very end of the 4th session my motor went. Sounds like a bearing(s). So I was unable to return the next day which is disappointing as it looks like all the Scoobs decided to only come on day 2.

I'm guessing that my issue was from oil starvation or something.

Here is the youtube video ID to the vid I posted of the last session. Had to upload in 3 parts. Also dieing to see other videos from Day 1 but so far everything is just from Day 2.

7bgS_QXihdY (can't post links yet cause I'm new. :( )

Oh wow and look at that you have a 01 Cobra.. I was thinking of taking my Mach but I'm now totally paranoid that any car I bring is going to blow up. Have you tracked your Cobra? Any issues with the engine?

neo277
07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Hello

First post here. Wanted to ask you Neo if you had any issues at the track with your car? Or perhaps you talked to anyone else there running our boxer motor.

I was there on Thursday with the STI and at the very end of the 4th session my motor went. Sounds like a bearing(s). So I was unable to return the next day which is disappointing as it looks like all the Scoobs decided to only come on day 2.

Here is the youtube video ID to the vid I posted of the last session. Had to upload in 3 parts. Also dieing to see other videos from Day 1 but so far everything is just from Day 2.

Oh wow and look at that you have a 01 Cobra.. I was thinking of taking my Mach but I'm now totally paranoid that any car I bring is going to blow up. Have you tracked your Cobra? Any issues with the engine?

Hey, so sorry to hear the bad news. well at least now you can do a cool rebuild and get some better parts in the motor.

i didn't have any major problems, just a slight issue.

at the last session my car started to pick up slight knock above 5k, i made a small tweak to my new water/meth rom and went back out but didn't really help too much so i backed off and just ran the track at 50% power wise and called it a day. but all in all the car ran great 3 out of the 4 sessions.

i think the car just got so hot from sitting out in the sun all day and getting so hot from the sessions it just didn't want to be run hard anymore.

i went out tonight and did some data-logging and it everything looked good.

i picked up the Cobra several months ago and love driving it, no motor issues, it runs smooth and strong, I've dyno'd it and ran it at the drag-strip several times but never a circuit track. ill probably do it after i revamp the suspension.

the stock suspension is too poo poo for me.

good luck again with your car man, stinks to hear but fix it and get back on that horse again. :wink:

Chris B.
07-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Hello

I know a few other STI owners that had the same issue at NJMP.

I had a 2008 Mustang GT that I did many track days with. I put over 2,500 miles on it during HPDE events. No motor issues with it. However it didn't survive hitting the wall.... twice.

I have once video of me chasing a NB Miata around thunderbolt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZHXSebFrkI

Another of me doing a clean lap of Thunderbolt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLZcCx-VuhA

SeikenFreak
07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey, so sorry to hear the bad news. well at least now you can do a cool rebuild and get some better parts in the motor.

Ehhh.. Unfortunately motor is already built. :lol: :( But hopefully nothing extensive was damaged. Talked to my engine guy today and he thinks it could just be a rod bearing(s). Which then hopefully the crank would just need to be replaced which he said is like $300 from the dealer and maybe a rod or two depending on the damage. And a buddy of mine works at Manley so he can probably help me out with that since its got Manley stuff in it already. Was running on low boost during the last 3 sessions.. Was maybe 15 psi.

Mod list for the motor:

Hydra 2.6 EMS
Manley Turbo-Tuff Rods
Manley 8.5:1 Pistons
Cosworth High Volume Oil Pump
Cosworth Heads
Cosworth 278/274 Cams
ARP Head Studs
Garret GT3582R .82 A/R
Tomei Expreme Unequal Length Header
PT Custom Downpipe
PT Custom Up-Pipe
Tial 44mm External Wastegate
COBB Tuning 3" Cat-Back
Aquamist HFS-5 Meth Injection (Not Hooked Up)
Perrin Front Mount Intercooler
Perrin Blow-Thru Boost Tube
Perrin Intake
Bosch 1000cc Injectors
Dual Walbro 255lph Fuel Pumps
JDM Subaru TGV Deletes
Cusco Motor & Trans Mounts

neo277
07-03-2011, 11:24 AM
O man, wow pretty low boost for that turbo.

Well good luck again.

Ehhh.. Unfortunately motor is already built. :lol: :( But hopefully nothing extensive was damaged. Talked to my engine guy today and he thinks it could just be a rod bearing(s). Which then hopefully the crank would just need to be replaced which he said is like $300 from the dealer and maybe a rod or two depending on the damage. And a buddy of mine works at Manley so he can probably help me out with that since its got Manley stuff in it already. Was running on low boost during the last 3 sessions.. Was maybe 15 psi.

Mod list for the motor:

Hydra 2.6 EMS
Manley Turbo-Tuff Rods
Manley 8.5:1 Pistons
Cosworth High Volume Oil Pump
Cosworth Heads
Cosworth 278/274 Cams
ARP Head Studs
Garret GT3582R .82 A/R
Tomei Expreme Unequal Length Header
PT Custom Downpipe
PT Custom Up-Pipe
Tial 44mm External Wastegate
COBB Tuning 3" Cat-Back
Aquamist HFS-5 Meth Injection (Not Hooked Up)
Perrin Front Mount Intercooler
Perrin Blow-Thru Boost Tube
Perrin Intake
Bosch 1000cc Injectors
Dual Walbro 255lph Fuel Pumps
JDM Subaru TGV Deletes
Cusco Motor & Trans Mounts

oneday
07-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Hello

I know a few other STI owners that had the same issue at NJMP.

It's not an NJMP thing, it's a Subaru thing. I know of plenty of WRXs and STIs that have spun bearings at Watkins Glen, Summit, Pocono and VIR. You have to be extremely diligent at watching oil temps and pressure levels and of checking the dipstick between each session.

Friday was a nice day...a bit crowded, but not too bad. Worst part was I didn't get more than six laps before an oil line blew on the Integra--the guys who had the car there Thursday busted an axle, replaced it and in the process damaged the oil line (no idea how yet)--and I had to pull in...between two actual students (silver WRX wagon and white [?] BMW 135) and helping to coach a friend (black E30) I didn't work on the car at all and had it on the trailer after lunch.

I got one session on track in the E30 and even though I didn't feel comfortable in it (fading brakes, still tweaking suspension settings) I remembered why I like those cars so much....it didn't hurt that this particular E30 had the complete drive train from a 2000 Z3 for added power.

McVicker
07-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Ah that was you with the red integra? You were parked pretty much right next to us. That black E30 looked sick!! I've riden in a spec E30 car on track and it seemed like a blast to drive......

Here's a lap from one of my sessions....Blue group was definitely crowded, didn't really get any clean laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MBvGblU9Ks

chu
07-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Hello

You must have been the guy my buddy Thai was instructing, running the green group? Fix that thing and come back out dude. I was the one in the black evo with the Club Risque stickers.

oneday
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Ah that was you with the red integra? You were parked pretty much right next to us. That black E30 looked sick!! I've riden in a spec E30 car on track and it seemed like a blast to drive......

Here's a lap from one of my sessions....Blue group was definitely crowded, didn't really get any clean laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MBvGblU9Ks

Yup. that was me with the sad face all day.

That E30 was hardly a SpecE30--those are predictable, easy to drive, and handle pretty well, where as this thing liked to wallow through corners; massive entry understeer followed by huge amounts of corner exit/throttle on oversteer. Hopefully the changes I suggested and that are being made help balance it out for his next event.

Nice lap...I can't believe how quickly that built speed down the front stretch! The 135is I instructed in the blue group only touched about 125ish on the straight...but his entry onto the straight was never quite right either.

McVicker
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
haha, that E30 sounds like it's definitely got some suspension issues that need to be worked out.....at least it looked nice ;)

Thanks! The car can do a hair over 140 on the front straight when I wind it all the way out. I always like to get feedback on my laps, weather it's positive or negative I'm always opened to advice from experienced drivers :)

-Dan

oneday
07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
haha, that E30 sounds like it's definitely got some suspension issues that need to be worked out.....at least it looked nice ;)

Thanks! The car can do a hair over 140 on the front straight when I wind it all the way out. I always like to get feedback on my laps, weather it's positive or negative I'm always opened to advice from experienced drivers :)

-Dan

Well, if you want critique:
If you gave up a little more speed entering 3 (chicane) you could get on the power sooner...making up more ground on the short chute...then just lift a little for 4, use all the track (which you didn't do there), then get back all the way to the right (you start your turn in for 5 in the middle of the track) for a hard brake into 5. Your line though the octopus is nice and tidy, nicely done. Do you need to lift for 14 (or whatever the last turn is)? I'm pretty sure that if you turned in at the right time you could make that stick with your foot to the floor.

Over all you are clearly quick--but with a few tweaks you could be faster.

oneday
07-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Correction: Your line through 4-5 is probably good for your car.

Production car fast lap on Thunderbolt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBk9nVLaIYM)

McVicker
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the advice, definitely appreciated :) Sent you a PM. I was there the weekend the ACR broke the record...I've been looking for that video!