PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth Laser Problem

1988 Olds
03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey guys, My grandfather is giving me his 1990 Plymouth Laser. It has the ECI SOHC engine. I went up there to pick it up today and it would not start. My grandfather said he had the car out earlier to put gas in it. When I turn the key, the car cranks over like it would start. I took off one spark plug wire and tried to start the car and didn't notice any spark in the plug when I put it near the valve cover. I really have no idea about these cars. I heard something that the plugs are not the best but I'm not sure if it even has stock wires. The ones on there are blue. Thanks to anyone who can help.

StealthTC
03-06-2006, 11:34 PM
check the coil pack and check the plug that actually plugs into the coil pack, I am not to familar with the SOHC DSM;s tho, I am sure someone here will know though, Good Luck

BlackBulletTSi
03-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Wil would probably be the best person to ask IMO

1988 Olds
03-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Well my dad said it wouldn't make a spark unless I had a screwdriver in there or something. Who is Wil. I'm going to have him try and start it tomorrow and see what happens. Seems weird as he just drove it for 1/2 hr today.

2point4DSM
03-07-2006, 08:46 AM
You need to do go through the basics. Does it get spark? Does it get fuel? If yes then check compression.

Checking spark: pull the spark plug wire and hold it close to the valve cover. Have someone crank the motor while you do this and check to see if it sparks against the valve cover.

If this is a 90-94 car I would assume there is a problem with the ECU if it does not spark. Pull the ECU and open up the cover and look to see if it looks or smells burnt. Even if it looks and smells fine get a hold of a "known" good ecu and swap it out to try. Otherwise, I don't know the SOHC motor at all.

Dex might be able to help you find a good ecu.

BlackBulletTSi
03-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Actually I know of a NTecu for a 1st gen. I'm not sure if its for the 2L or the 1.8L I'll ask and find out for ya though.

1988 Olds
03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Dex.

I just talked to Grandma and she said he has been charging the battery alot and he also plugs the charger in before putting it on the battery. I'm going to guess ecu. How much of a chance did he just hurt the fuse inside the ecu or am I looking at $300 for a new one.