PDA

View Full Version : Anitfreeze Leak.

EvlEgl
03-05-2006, 11:28 PM
It's a Pinhole leak. Right behind the power steering pump...the hardpipe that sits right below the valve cover on the front. It's basically the coolant pipe for the Lower radiator Hose that wraps around and goes into the engine I believe.

Right where it makes the 90 degree bend there is a black o ring type seal/gasket there...thats where i'm leaking from. It drips slowly at idle and during load it is fine...but when I shut the car off it POURS out of the pinhole and puddles quickly.

I don't have a picture but I was hoping someone knew WTF I was talking about...and how hard is it to replace the o ring/seal?.

awdlaserbeam
03-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Not sure what the procedure is to change that O-ring if that is whats leaking. But if you have to take that pipe off that would probably involve removing your manifold/turbo. My brain is not currently in archive mode so sorry for the vague info, ill check into it tomorrow. If 2point4 doesnt already give you your answer

2point4DSM
03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
You don't need necessarily need to take the manifold off unless the waterpump and hose are old and you need to get in there to clean up the waterpump in order to make sure the o-ring seals well. IIRC, I heard this motor was freshly rebuilt.

Make sure to buy a gallon of good coolant cause you'll need to drain your system first.

-Remove upper IC pipe,
-Remove coolant return line from turbo (front coolant bolt on turbo)
-Remove lower radiator coolant hose,
-Remove heater core hoses,
-Remove throttle body coolant hoses,
-Remove oil cooler coolant hose (90 cars didn't have coolant cooled oil so this will not apply),
-Remove 12mm bolt on front, top corner of block that holds the pipe to the block. Located under runner #4 on the exhaust manifold. (Remember to put this bolt back or if missing to replace it cause if this is missing it is most likely the best reason that o-ring started to leak in the first place),
-Normally, a 14mm bolt tranny bolt holds the pipe under the cam angle sensor,
-Also remove the o2 sensor connector from the clip that is part of the coolant pipe.

At this point remove whatever else is getting in the way of pulling this pipe out. In your case it might be the cruise control module, etc.

BlackBulletTSi
03-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Yea what he said!

EvlEgl
03-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Seems there were NO BOLTS holding in the Hard pipe to the motor so it backed out and leaked...Slapped on a new seal and put a bolt in there and she purrs like a kitten.

Thanks for the help fellas.

what is IIRC though?

2point4DSM
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
IIRC= if I remember correctly.