PDA

View Full Version : Lowering spring install on 99 Camry?

GeforceXtreme
03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey guys I am going to help my buddy install lowering springs onto his 1999 Toyota Camary LE (4 cylinder sedan car). Anyway I installed my lowering springs, and helped my buddy install his coil-overs onto his 95 Honda Accord. My buddy's dad has a garage, and all the tools, and spring compressors we could use. However we are going to be by ourselves. I think I could figure out how to remove the strut/spring assembly, but can you use a normal spring compressor to get the springs out? I have never did a spring install on a Toyota before.. and want to make sure its possible? We are just removing the stock springs, and installing lowering ones. Any tips guys?

99SL2_Modder
03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
How's the suspension set up?

If the rear springs are in between the frame and the lca-ish thing, with no shock or anything running through the spring, then put the car on a lift, get a trans lift or something and compress the suspension. Unbolt the shock, and VERY SLOWLY drop that side of the suspension until the spring is fully unloaded. Then yank it out, put the new one in, and start loading that spring, checking to make sure it seats properly. Bolt the shock back up, and go to the next rear one.

The front is strut, AFAIK, so that should be relatively the same as every strut setup you've done.

GeforceXtreme
03-03-2006, 05:55 PM
my friend i think has the same setup as my buddies 95 accord. Each spring is over the strut assembly. Also the rear end is independent. Unlike my rear end with a single axle, and the shocks/springs are seperate.

GeforceXtreme
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I noticed that companies that sell struts and springs for the Camry have different models. I noticed that they vary between the 4 cylinder and the V6 model. I sure hope my buddy bought the 4 cylinder spring setup.

99SL2_Modder
03-03-2006, 06:11 PM
my friend i think has the same setup as my buddies 95 accord. Each spring is over the strut assembly. Also the rear end is independent. Unlike my rear end with a single axle, and the shocks/springs are seperate.

You sure it's a fully independent rear? I didn't think many other cars had them...most were semi.

Anyway, the rear strut spring removal is the same, if not easier. My rear springs had no tension on them...the strut moved freely. So I didn't need to compress the rear springs. That's not always the case, though. Tell him to buy 2 packs of wire loom from radio shack. The smaller packs. Open a pack, cut the loom in half, and then the 2 halves in half again. Thread the loom on the top and bottom of the coil, leaving it on the end and coiled the rest of the way around. It will reduce the chance of having a spring buzz when hitting bumps from the preload of the springs.

I noticed that companies that sell struts and springs for the Camry have different models. I noticed that they vary between the 4 cylinder and the V6 model. I sure hope my buddy bought the 4 cylinder spring setup.

Hope so, heh.

FeeJ
03-04-2006, 03:19 PM
difference b/w the 4 and 6 is propably spring rate due to differing weights and balance, but Im going to assume that it will be very similar to the accord

GeforceXtreme
03-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Yeah man the rear is independent. We got the front springs in with no problems. We didn't put the rear springs in, because it would drop the rear down too much. He has 2 amps/subs, and a box in the trunk, so the rear at stock height was lower in the rear then the front. The front lowering springs balanced the car out now.. Looks good