PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Engine Management for Audi TT

bluengoldsti
02-28-2006, 11:18 PM
my friend is looking for some extra hp for his 2000 audi tt and was asking me about some kind of engine management. does anyone know if they make an aftermarket engine management system or 'chip' for this vehicle?

dolphinS4
02-28-2006, 11:30 PM
What engine?
1.8t or 3.2?
GIAC and REVO are probably 2 of the most popular ECU falshers out there.
I deal with these guys sometimes. They are located right in Willow Grove, PA.
www.AWE-tuning.com

bluengoldsti
02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
he has the 1.8t. how much does AWE charge for install and reflash? thanks for the info by the way, he lives in montgomery twp, so this will probably be his best choice.

BShow
02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
I know that "mister X" over on WRXfanatics.com had a modified Audi TT. I know he had some type of ECU upgrade. Might be worth it to venture over there and shoot him a PM.

dolphinS4
02-28-2006, 11:53 PM
he has the 1.8t. how much does AWE charge for install and re flash? thanks for the info by the way, he lives in montgomery twp, so this will probably be his best choice.
For my car it $500. For the 1.8t....??
If its just a re flash, there is no install. They hook up to your ECU and you're out the door in 20 minutes.
If they have to physically remove the chip and replace it, then thats an install.
I'm not familiar enough with the 1.8t's to offer an opinion as to what they need to do.

05CGMSTi
03-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Which version does he have? 180hp or 225hp TT?

S4toSTI
03-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Easy way to know does it have one exhuast or two.

S4toSTI
03-10-2006, 09:45 AM
And is it a 5 or 6 speed.

bluengoldsti
03-10-2006, 09:56 AM
its got 180hp, and i think its a 5 speed, but im not sure. i think hes just going to get the reflash from AWE tuning for now, until i can convince him to modify it.

S4toSTI
03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
For those cars the chip is a huge upgrade.

bluengoldsti
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah, i checked out some sites, they get about 29 whp out of them. better than the cobb accessport, and cheaper too.

S4toSTI
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Word too that but then look at how expensive everything else is. And with these there is nothing you get a flash on your chip and your done.

05CGMSTi
03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
If it is a 180hp, another simple mod to do along with the re-flash is upgrading to the K04 turbo that comes w/the 225hp (that really is the only major diff. between the 2 besides engine management). It will bolt right on and they are probably pretty cheap by now.

bluengoldsti
03-10-2006, 11:46 AM
thats true, theres no ems to tune with.

if you upgrade the turbo, shouldnt you also upgrade the exhaust and the fuel system to compensate?

S4toSTI
03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
basically you can just run whatever the 225 runs for fuel and the exhaust may be a good idea. If your buddy calls one of the shops they will tell him.

bluengoldsti
03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
i dont know if he wants to put all that money into the car tho, its only his beater car. but if i can get him to modify it, ill be asking for more help bc i dont know ish about audis.

DanFromPA
03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
APR reflash --> simply because they have the best customer service... Their tune is also on the conservative side... Not that user can tune or anything...

This is the one thing that I do not like about owning AUDI B7 A4... There are no aftermarket ECU available for me to log and tune yet.... It is kinda driving me crazy since I like to tune and log..... Then again, I didn't buy this car to make a track monster anyhow... I have APR 93 OCT reflash and it has very good torque in the low to MID RPM zone... It is a good daily driving car....

I would advise your friend to get the APR STG1 program first. Then....decide later if he wants to upgrade further.......

Dan from PA

KrautFed20V
03-27-2006, 12:27 PM
APR reflash --> simply because they have the best customer service... Their tune is also on the conservative side... Not that user can tune or anything...

This is the one thing that I do not like about owning AUDI B7 A4... There are no aftermarket ECU available for me to log and tune yet.... It is kinda driving me crazy since I like to tune and log..... Then again, I didn't buy this car to make a track monster anyhow... I have APR 93 OCT reflash and it has very good torque in the low to MID RPM zone... It is a good daily driving car....

I would advise your friend to get the APR STG1 program first. Then....decide later if he wants to upgrade further.......

Dan from PA

Don't go APR if you don't have an APR dealer close by I recommend AWE tuning and the GIAC x+ if you are local to willow grove.. and you can log using a VAG COM... and for tunability, if you have APR you can upgrade to V-Tune, and tune it yourself

DanFromPA
03-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Edit: I got the info from AUDI World.com (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/495943.phtml).
It's very limited of what you can do though..... It's more like ECUTEK DeltaDash....

Don't go APR if you don't have an APR dealer close by I recommend AWE tuning and the GIAC x+ if you are local to willow grove.. and you can log using a VAG COM... and for tunability, if you have APR you can upgrade to V-Tune, and tune it yourself

KrautFed20V
03-27-2006, 03:27 PM
i wasn't sure if you had the 2.0 FSI or not, for the 1.8T:

http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/vtune.html

The recent advent of APR's DirectPort Programming has ushered in a new era of software upgrades for modern engine management. APR was the first in the industry to release our patented Enhanced Modular Chipping System. EMCS allows a user to have multiple programs and options on their vehicles computer, which are accessible through the buttons of the factory cruise control switch.

APR then raised the bar with the release of DirectPort Programming. DirectPort Programming allows the same functionality of EMCS, but without ANY hardware. This system allows programs to be uploaded to the engine ECU via the factory OBDII port. Just like EMCS, a user can switch between different programs.

Now, in another revolutionary step, APR has released V-Tune. V-Tune allows an end user to make changes to certain parameters of their vehicle's engine management system. Different factors such as atmospheric conditions, gasoline octane levels, and different modifications can lead to poor drivability, bad gas mileage, and less than ideal power output. By using V-Tune, these factors can be lessened to allow a user to get the most out of the car and optimize its performance.

The basic settings in V-Tune allow adjustments of the following settings:

* Boost - This variable directly changes the desired load of the car, consequently raising or lowering boost pressure. The value is in percent. This percentage of change deals with load rather than boost directly, so the percentage of change may equate to roughly the same percentage of increase to boost but is not necessarily exact.
* Timing - Timing is changed in degrees and is a direct upward or downward scaling of the timing maps. This does not, however, alter the knock sensors in any way so that there is still a degree of safety involved.
* Lamda Regulation - This variable deals with the rate of learning of the O2 sensors. It is essentially a control of the sampling rate of the O2 sensors and can alter the rate at which the ECU learns and compensates for fuel tweaks.
* Speed Limiter - As stated, this variable controls the maximum speed limitation of the car.
* Idle Torque Offset - This variable deals with the amount of requested torque needed to make the car idle properly. This variable will not be necessary for the vast majority of people, and is only used to improve idle when a variation to the loading of the rotating assembly of the motor has occurred.
* Idle Speed - As stated, this variable adjusts idle speed which is good for those running cams or other modifications that may affect the vehicles ability to idle smoothly.

The advanced fuel control settings allow changes to:

* Main Fuel Scale
* Primary Fuel Adjustment - This variable alters the injector opening times to allow the injectors to open the necessary amount to meet fuel demands. Tweaking this variable up and down can alter the actual air/fuel ratio of the vehicle.
* Fuel Load Increase - This variable adjusts the quantity of fuel to be added from the Air/fuel mixture in situations where load is either increasing or decreasing as opposed to a steady state or constant load situation. For the most part these changes are unnecessary and will be insignificant for the average user.
* Fuel Load Decrease - This variable adjusts the quantity of fuel to be removed from the Air/fuel mixture in situations where load is either increasing or decreasing as opposed to a steady state or constant load situation. For the most part these changes are unnecessary and will be insignificant for the average user.
* Start Fuel Enrichment - This variable controls the amount of fuel in the system while attempting to crank the car. This feature is only necessary for those who have made changes to the fuel system.
* Warmup Fuel Enrichment - This variable controls the amount of fuel in the system during the cold-start cycle. This feature is only necessary for those who have made changes to the fuel system.

With these adjustments, V-Tune allows users to adjust the boost level, the ignition timing, and the air/fuel ratio of the car by using a simple PC-based tuning software. Once the changes have been made, they can be "reflashed " to the car with an EMCS Home Programmer (when available) or through the factory OBDII port with a DirectPort tuning cable.

V-Tune is not for every user. It can cause permanant damage to your engine if you enter improper settings. It is highly recommended that a V-Tune user have knowledge of the role that boost, timing, etc. have upon an engine. APR is not responsible for damage that could be caused to a car if V-Tune is used incorrectly.

KrautFed20V
03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
there is also Lemmiwinks which is a revo technik program (still compatible with all 1.8T Motronic ECU's no matter what flash) where you can adjust adaptation channels such as idle control fuel trims etc.

PS. the large Chiptuning companies (GIAC, REVO, APR, etc.) are frantically working on 2.0 FSI Software and hardware so be on the lookout in the next few months... APR might have something up their sleeve for the BBQ april 1st.

KrautFed20V
03-28-2006, 09:05 AM
In regards to the APR BBQ

...Scheduled are 4 New Product Releases/First Peaks which include the 4.2l S4 Supercharger, the Longitudinal 2.0T FSI 300 hp Turbo Upgrade, the Streetwerke R32 Turbo Kit Tuned by APR and the APR Motorsport Intake Manifold will all be on display for your perusal!