PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 91' Laser

chrisrushforth07
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
yo watsup, im new to this site (1hr.) and i have a nice laser, i did a few little things to keep it running strong,new computer,re-did head,plugs, and little **** like that, haha, it needed it at 190,000 miles, but its a beast and plows up 309 goin up blue mountain at 100mph easy. i love the feel of the car and i wanted to keep it runnin and put a new turbo charged engine it, me and my boy could do everyhthing like cams and intake and little **** but the whole engine replacement thing i couldn't do, and i was wonderin if any of you guys have a laser or know someone who has one and has taken the stock,non-turbo engine and replaced it with some crazy **** imported from japan and put a new turbo on it. it any of you guys know where to get a good engine, how much they cost, if it's possible, just and bit of info would be appreciated from anyone who has or knows of a laser

SilverTurboRidin
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
contact 2point4 he may be able to give you some info...hes a 1st gen guru

2point4DSM
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
If the car came with a 2.0 4g63 motor then it should be pretty easy to turbocharge it. You should probably start off by throwing a turbo on your current motor now just to get the fitment and tune close that way you don't go and waste a perfectly good turbo-motor.

How fast do you want to go?

sleeperstyle
03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
im no guru :rofl: but the consensus in the dsm world is to start with a turbo car to avoid headaches. it can easily be swapped with the syclone motor (jdm version of the 4g) but then you need clutch/trans/ecu/fuelpump/etc... etc... and parts are getting harder to find.

best bet imho, save your $ and buy a blown up 1g awd. THEN swap out the motor and build that up. sorry to burst your bubble but i've seen too many people get in way over their heads, and their car never run (or at least correctly ) again. seems like it is your d/d so why touch it?

hystericfox
03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't start with the JDM crap. Sleeperstyle has the right idea.

2point4DSM
03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
1st off it's definitely never a good idea to do a lot of mods all at once to a daily driver just so you can beat on it more.

Btw, which N/T motor are we talking about and is it manual or auto? If it's the 1.8 then forget it cause sleeperstyle is right. On the other hand if this is a 2.0 motor then I say go for it.

For some reason when people talk about selling a car and then buying another car they assume too much. They assume you can sell your car for a good amount and then assume you can buy a comparable turbo car for not much more. And that comparable turbo car is in a similar condition to the car you just sold.

The fact is nice 1g turbo cars are becoming rare. Most of them are beat and neglected. And the prices for nice ones bottomed out a while ago with prices now slowly going back up. And even if you buy a decent one with a good amount of miles on it you still end up having to replace a lot of the parts on it anyway due to wear and tear like cracked exhaust manifolds and turbine housings, ripped IC pipes, leaky intake gasket, etc. Enough parts that you could have taken a NT 2.0 motor and put a turbo on it.

And if you want to talk about suspension and brakes as well then consider what kind of condition those parts would be in on a 10+ year old car. Not to mention the tranny on a turbo car is usually more beat up than a tranny on a N/T car.

How about the additional cost of insurance on a N/T vs. turbo 1g.

And exactly what is the difference btw the stock clutches on the two cars? And any idea how much power the stock NT pistons can take? There is a guy out in CA that made 300whp on stock NT pistons. Are they more delicate? Yes! It is all about tuning and being conservative, obviously, but it can be done. And in my opinion is worth it... if you can do it yourself and respect the tuning aspect of it and looking for just a modest gain in hp.

I would do it in stages. Starting off with getting a nice used 14b with oil and water lines, new exhaust manifold, used 02 housing, downpipe, turbo oil pan, and turbo water pipe. For most beginners this is at least a weekend project. Hook that all up and let the turbo recirculate till you hook up the rest.

The next weekend can be dedicated to installing the intake, IC and IC pipes with bigger injectors a SAFC and tuning.

Set base timing to 2 degrees BTDC and then go with NGK BPR7ES plugs gapped to .032.

Running the wastegate actuator straight to the intake manifold should give you around 8psi of boost which is very manageable.

BlackBulletTSi
03-01-2006, 09:24 AM
LISTEN TO WIL he's the man at this stuff I know. I have a 1G talon he helped me fix it just back to stock and it runs really good.

TROLL
03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
please post in the correct forum... moving this thread
edit: crap... 4g63 so its mitsubishi tech?

BlackBulletTSi
03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
yea it would be