PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to choose the proper racing helmet...?

TROLL
02-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Hey,
I'm looking for the beginners guide on how to choose a proper helmet. I'm personally looking for one to Auto-X in but that would also work on a road course this season, but I would be interested to know the ins and outs of how helmets vary and what is required for different racing situations, including drag.
So all those with experience, please chime in...
Thanks,
bryan

99SL2_Modder
02-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Talk to Twin_Cam.

D Money
02-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I use my old dirtbike helmet. Its real flashy and looks cool. Basically a helmet with a visor and full face is alright. Sometimes I see people wearin those open face helmets, but I think they look funny...

Driven
02-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Check with the sanctioning bodies that you are going to be running with. NHRA requires a helmet with a rating of at least Snell 95. A snell 95 helmet expires January first of 2007 however. I suggest picking up a rule book from each of the clubs you intend to race with to be safe. You really should never consider racing without knowing the rules first hand anyway.

cravej
02-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Sometimes I see people wearin those open face helmets, but I think they look funny...They do look funny, but they are probably the best choice for comfort and safety. SCCA recommends that you don't wear a helmet with a chin guard in a car with airbags. It isn't a rule, just their recommendation. I use a full face helmet w/o a visor, but if I bought one now, I would go for an open face. There's two snell ratings, SA2005 and M2005. The SA (special application) will be more flame retardent and also pass a rollbar test and be more expensive than the M (motorcycle) rated helmets. For a track day or autocross, either one is acceptable, but the SA will be required for competitive auto racing. If you get a 2005 rating, it will generally be acceptable for 15 years. Every 5 years, they evalutate and update a new rating and phase out the older SA90, SA95 and SA2000 ratings.

Here is a group buy discount for SCCA members:
http://www.phillyscca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1155

And definately go try them out, to find the best size.

TurboTagTeam
02-26-2006, 03:59 PM
If you want the lightest and most comfortable helmet go with a Arai. They are very very comfortable. They go for close to 500$ but are worth every penny. I bought mine for last season and it's awesome.