PDA

View Full Version : Turbo XS U-TEC

EIXVO
02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Whats ever one have to say about the U-tec

dubrx
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
If you are serious about tuning your car and plan on making different modifications as you go along, this is a must have.

I have a buddy who is heavy into autox and every season he makes drastic changes to his setup. He was happy with the generic maps for a while, but then the tuning bug bit him and now he's constantly tweaking his maps a bit at a time to give himself the slight edge over the competition.

With some patience you'll be able to squeeze out all of the performance your car is able to produce. That's the thing though, you really have to take your time and know what you're doing cause you can really screw up your engine too.

Plus its fun to drive with a laptop in the passenger seat and see what's going on under the hood. :)

This is on a WRX, I've never talked to anyone who used one on a Z though. (guessing that's what you're looking for from your profile.)

TROLL
02-27-2006, 05:09 PM
as it applies to subaru, i would recommend it only if you plan to have it professionally tuned. i think that kinda applies for all types of engine management though. base maps in general are not ideal... dont make as much power as you could and may not be very safe either.
if you do plan to have it tuned i say go for it.... but of course i dont know much about how it applies to nissans

evospeed
02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Tuning the Utec is basically the same for every application....Evo, WRX, 350. You can adjust your fuel, timing, and boost maps if applicable. Definitely more control over an S-AFC. Make sure you do plenty of research before you do your own tuning. Or you can have it professionally tuned like I did. I suggest this especially to get yourself a good map first. The base maps usually aren't that much different than stock.

It has alot of features which you don't always use, but are there in case you ever do want to use them. It has launch control, auxilary power source, knock indicator, and more. Most of them can even hold more than 1 tuning map. Like if you have a pump gas map and a race gas map. You can switch on the fly.

It is more like a standalone ecu than a piggyback. And usually less expensive than those as well. Don't get me wrong, a good standalone is better, but does not give the ease of tuning options to the owner.

Hope this helps.