PDA

View Full Version : Rugger's 08 DGM Legacy (erm Liberty) GT

ruggerheist
10-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Bought it a few months ago with 29k on it bone stock w/ tint. The end goal is for a slightly stock looking, stage: go fast, sleeper.

Current Mods:
COBB dual adjustable shifter
TWM Piston shift knob w/ 6 speed pattern
Lamin-X taillight tint
AEM tru boost gauge
K&N Typhoon short ram
perrin 1 piece DP
Tomei EL headers
Tomei UP
HKS silent hi power CBE
Hotchkis F&R sways w/ AVO rear reinforcement brackets
whiteline endlinks
R/T stage 2 tune
Rota Grid 18x8.5 w conti extreme contact 245/45/18
BC racing coilovers
Rotora 4pot BBK
spec B. transmission swap
Whitline LCA/antilift kit/bumpsteer poly-u bushings
Redline Goods shift/e-brake boots

Looking forward to Mods
Element tuning GT65
Hydra Ecu
Hydramist meth kit
Fueling TBD

Waiting to be installed

Element Tuning Comp 2.5L shortblock WRX 2.0 heads

UPDATED 6/20/14

Close to 4 years ago this was started. A lot has changed. All work is being done by Tommy and Marc at GearOne Performance in West Chester. I am the only factor holding this up. I will update as progress is made (as I pay)

Car: 2008 DGM LGT "Secret Squirrel"

Current Mods:
07 Spec B transmission
Hotchkis F&R sways
Whiteline end links
Most bushings upgraded to PU
Whiteline Roll Center
BC BR coilovers
Rotora 6 pot front 2 pot rear BBK
****ty Rota Grids 18x8.5

Planned:
Element Tuning ProComp short block
VAC motorsports P&P 2.5 heads +1 mm valves
Brian Crower stage 3 280* cams
Rotated Cosworth Intake Manifold
IAG Billet Aluminum TGV deletes
Borg Warner EFR 8374 1.05 AR externally wastegated twin scroll turbo
Full Race Rotated Twinscroll kit
KillerB oil pick up & Baffle
Crawford A/O separator
(Possibly Element Tuning dry sump)
ID2000 injectors
Walboro 255 intank fuel pump
Radium fuel sump
Dual Bosch 044 external pumps
Aeromotive FPR
Agency Power fuel rails & lines
Koyo Radiator
Hydra EMS
Hydramist methanol injection system
custom wiring harness
AC delete

Undecided:
FMIC
Cooling fan(s)
Thermostat

The first issue we are running into is the ABS unit. Because of where it sits in its stock location, any intake solutions are impeded or an unreasonable amount of bends are needed. The most likely solution will be to clock it 90* and mount it on the left fender wall. With that, new brake lines need to be made along with a custom bracket for the module. Other issues we forsee: washer fluid resevior relocation, alternator relocation, hood clearance, intercooler piping. I guess this is where I say, "Stay tuned"

TalonTsi97
10-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Definitely like were this is going, looking forward to seeing pics.

ambitiousCK
10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Pics!

ruggerheist
10-27-2010, 01:18 PM
thanks for the interest dudes, get some pics posted once first round gets installed. stay tuned, ill update this thread as often as i mod

ruggerheist
11-05-2010, 01:49 AM
headers DP CBE and intake have arrived... install sunday, road tune monday

ambitiousCK
11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
nice did you go EL or stay UEL?

ruggerheist
11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
ninja edit, UEL

nissamax
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
equal length header or unequal length

ambitiousCK
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM
ninja edit, UEL
good cant stand the sound of a EL header on a boxer motor, sounds like a boosted honda IMO

ruggerheist
11-05-2010, 01:14 PM
never heard them. but dude helping me with this said EL looses the sound, obviously i didnt want that now

ruggerheist
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
nissamax, where are those monday night meets? im going to bring the baby up this monday night so you can see the transformation from the stocker you saw to this

DownforceTom
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Soapy suds in clifton heights. Can't wait to see this.

nissamax
11-07-2010, 04:17 PM
nissamax, where are those monday night meets? im going to bring the baby up this monday night so you can see the transformation from the stocker you saw to this

as tom said soapy suds in clifont heights. we got kicked out of our other place. i really wanna hear what this uel header sounds like.

ruggerheist
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
it is finished but unfortunately there are some problems... 1) At first i thought it was the heatshield rattling but Andy up at R/T said there is either something in the DP or the cat is coming loose, either way it sucks and sounds horrible. 2) MAJOR BOOST CREEP! He got 1st and 2nd locked into 17.5 but 3rd and up goes crazy (i havent seen how far but 20 is when i shift around 4000 rpm) he said he doesnt know why its doing that but to watch it and either swap boost celenoid or get external wastegate which is what ill probably do

DownforceTom
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM
So are you heading to the meet tonight?

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1848869#post1848869

ruggerheist
11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
So are you heading to the meet tonight?

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1848869#post1848869

unfortunately i will not, the fact is the sound is embarrassing and i want to get it fixed before i start showing it off

ruggerheist
11-09-2010, 02:14 PM
rattle and boost creep fixed, heatshield was rattling off the bottom stock heatshield, removed stocker problem solved. boost creep was from flange on DP keeping the wastegate open (or closed i cant remember which)

DownforceTom
11-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Told you it was the heat shield. Glad that worked out.

ruggerheist
11-09-2010, 05:06 PM
totally dude, im also glad i can pull safe boost now without worrying about blowing the top off my engine. all in all stage 2 is complete, some pics to post, nothing crazy ill get em up when i get some more time... next step is some body mods, clearing headlights HIDs in low/high and fogs and possibly halos. also thinking about a CF roof wing from RPM, any thoughts/feedback? going to put my winter shoes on tonight and im done for a while, making cars go fast is an expensive addiction

aaronnn
11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
nice! i have an 08 lgt too. I ran GT Spec EL Headers for 2 weeks.. It didn't sound like a boosted honda, it was a really deep sound, but its just not the usual subaru. I brought it back to stock since I want to trade it in now for a rear wheel drive car, but it was some great times while I had it. It just became really limited once I did everything I wanted to.

DownforceTom
11-09-2010, 10:44 PM
totally dude, im also glad i can pull safe boost now without worrying about blowing the top off my engine. all in all stage 2 is complete, some pics to post, nothing crazy ill get em up when i get some more time... next step is some body mods, clearing headlights HIDs in low/high and fogs and possibly halos. also thinking about a CF roof wing from RPM, any thoughts/feedback? going to put my winter shoes on tonight and im done for a while, making cars go fast is an expensive addiction

You don't have to ask me twice about a wing... do it. I heart Downforce, but you already knew that.

ruggerheist
11-10-2010, 01:08 AM
nice! i have an 08 lgt too. I ran GT Spec EL Headers for 2 weeks.. It didn't sound like a boosted honda, it was a really deep sound, but its just not the usual subaru. I brought it back to stock since I want to trade it in now for a rear wheel drive car, but it was some great times while I had it. It just became really limited once I did everything I wanted to.

I love the UEL but they do come with a big draw back in that i can hear the engine/exhaust pulses clearly with the windows down, sorry to hear you went back to stock, the LGT is a rare tuner of which im proud to be a member of, hopefully youll get the itch back.

You don't have to ask me twice about a wing... do it. I heart Downforce, but you already knew that.

you should be a salesman for downforce hahaha

aaronnn
11-10-2010, 12:39 PM
yes.. its very very rare when it comes to modding, but I've been there, done it, and I want something new. It was fun while i had it.

Last few pics I took before I went back to stock:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4541889848_847b74e811_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/4541257321_5abeda384b_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4541891476_4d1579f797_b.jpg

Main Mods:
18G Superzilla/Deadbolt Turbo
Perrin Tmic
GTSPec EL Headers
Custom 3 inch Single Pipe Turboback
JDM Grill and Lip
Tein Flex Coilovers with EDFC
Sparco fighter Buckets
Cusco Strut bars, sway bars, chassis braces, lower arm bar
Volk TE37

ruggerheist
11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
howd you like the chasis brace?

aaronnn
11-10-2010, 04:17 PM
the chassis brace and strut bars didnt do much. the legacy's chassis is already stiff. the sway bars and coilovers were definitely felt. the Flex's were harsh.. if i had to do it again, I would go with softer coilovers because the no play, no bounce, no roll at all made the entire car jiggly and rough. Maybe Tein SS-P's instead. Before the coilover setup, I did the Spec B Bilstein Struts, Spec B top Hat, and Swift Spring setup, which was MUUUUUCCCHHH nicer and less roll compared to factory. But i wanted the adjustability of coilovers, so went with the stiffest ones offered for the legacy, bad decision.

Qwibby
11-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I love subarus, and you have a good direction decided... hopefully you get everything worked out!

ruggerheist
11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
i was thinking Tein comfort sport with the dampening force controller, a little pricey but it will let me adjust stiffness on the fly so i wont get the harsh ride while cruising

ruggerheist
11-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I love subarus, and you have a good direction decided... hopefully you get everything worked out!

thanks, im hoping it all works out too. i feel like ill run into snags along the way as my previous posts alluded to but as long as i do it right the first time i wont have to do it again :)

Qwibby
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
yeah I understand that. My first car was the figure out what I want car with all sorts of different directions. if you've seen my post you know I got it right the second time lmao

ruggerheist
11-10-2010, 11:27 PM
some pics after the install

ruggerheist
11-18-2010, 03:34 AM
bought my BBK today used but in excellent condition and an excellent price that i couldnt pass up

ambitiousCK
11-18-2010, 08:13 AM
bought my BBK today used but in excellent condition and an excellent price that i couldnt pass up

what are the specs?

ruggerheist
11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
4 piston front 2 piston rear. 13 inch front rotors... not 100% on that. not sure size on rear. guy who sold em to me said itll take a little fabrication on the mount itself but just a little grinding should do it

ruggerheist
11-18-2010, 11:36 PM
also got my gtspec underpanel today since we scraped the stock one for fear of the headers melting the plastic

installing that ^ sunday, also attempting to fix the ticking in the header ive now determined (actually other people have, ill just take credit) is an exhaust leak most likely at the header/uppipe gasket, and checking fitment of brakes to find out what sort of modifications are needed.

PunkboySL2
11-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Are your coils damper adjustable? If so you could just buy new softer springs and try that. I'm pretty sure Eibach's springs aren't that much and you can get them in a bunch of different spring rates.

Also those wheels compliment your car wonderfully.

ruggerheist
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
the coils im looking at are adjustable. it has an option to add that allows the user to adjust dampness in cabin on the fly, so if im on a ****ty road i can loosen it up a bit, if i want to get down and dirty i can tighten them up and slap the hell out of corners

ruggerheist
11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Buying a 6 speed spec. B tranny this weekend, full swap. will be selling my 5M/T swap and SPT short throw w/ bushings

ruggerheist
11-29-2010, 01:47 AM
fixed exhaust leak today and somehow caused a boost leak. unreal. getting it checked out tomorrow, may be going FMIC sooner than later

UPDATE: another bad gasket, problem fixed. done for the winter

ruggerheist
06-14-2011, 01:21 AM
been awhile since my last update so here it goes:
spun rod bearing back in January block and turbo replaced
got rid of my Borla UEL header went with Tomei EL header/Uppipe
put on gold rota grids 18x8.5 w/ conti extreme contact 245/45/18 rubber
changed route of coilovers went with BC Racing (stayed within budget)
rolled fenders to accommodate HUGE tires
put on my Rotora BBK
Bought and installed AEM tru boost gauge/controller
buddy dropped of my stage 3 Brian Crower 280 cams and 2.0 heads for the beginning of my rotated hybrid build

and the countdown begins for a final build.

ruggerheist
06-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Almost exactly 3 years since the last update. I updated the first post with the current direction of my build. Most parts are bought and waiting to go in. I kept the original post intact for nostalgia and for all who are interested to see how drastically 4 years of waiting can change plans. Thanks for checking out the "Secret Squirrel"